[anthroposophy] object in Rosetti grail painting

  • Sarah Cherry
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2000
      At 9:28 AM -0500 10/31/00, elaine upton wrote:
      >And richard, thanks for the painting by Rosetti! I am not familiar with this
      >painting. What is it that is above the woman's head, something gold, hanging
      >out of the mouth of the bird? It's not clear on my screen.

      I was intrigued by your question. I did a search and found an
      incredible site on DGR:

      http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/rossetti/index.html

      It's not yet finished, but any fan of Rossetti or the Pre-Raphaelites
      will want to visit.

      I wrote the editor and asked about the object in the bird's mouth. He
      said it was a censer. (a container used to hold incense in religious
      ceremonies.) Having been told that, and looking at the painting once
      again, I do believe I can see a thin wisp of smoke curling above the
      censer towards her hair.

      Sarah
    • elaine upton
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2000
        Thanks, sarah, for the clue about the object being a censor. Censors are
        fascinating to me, as is the whole idea of incense from herbs and the whole
        ritual. That would make sense that the dove is connected, when i think of
        flight, rising, spirit being...But its all beyond my intellect, more in the
        feeling realm at this point.

        I just went to the Rosetti web site, which looks very promising. I have not
        yet found the poems, though there are continual references to them. I was
        glad to see mention of Walter Pater and of Ocscare Wilde as great readers
        and interpreters of Rosetti.

        Rosetti's sister, Christina is also worthy of attention.
        Blessings,
        elaine

        http://profiles.msn.com