Re: [anthroposophy] circle/vessel/Grail Cup

  • 888
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2000
      >It is the Circle, the Vessel, the Womb
      >that enfolds us, holds us,empties us,
      >creates us, creates us.

      Dear Elaine,
      Thank you for sharing your poetry with us.
      I remember a couple of years back, when I was at a "Steiner"
      get-together, some folk were annoyed when others performed a circle
      dance. These critics thought this was just not "Steiner."

      The people at this school were of the New Age/"native peoples" type -
      which is pretty standard I believe. I guess parents like this see
      Waldorf as the closest thing to their views.

      Anyways, a lot of what has become "Waldorf" is not derived from Dr.
      Steiner teachings.

      I was able to point out a lecture where RS talked about the attraction
      of the circle and dancing in circles.

      Some time ago posted a description of the founding of the Order of the
      Garter. It's purpose was one of honouring the "discuss" as you have
      presented in poetic form.

      Talking of circles and things, there is the expression "widdershins" to
      describe a circle which is formed against anti-clockwise against the
      Sun. Thus it was common custom to stir a Christmas cake "sunwise" for
      instance.
      As you know, water whirlpools in a different direction down here (or up
      here depending on how you look at it). So things are quite back to front
      "over" here.

      Our clocks move clockwise only because that is how the old sundials
      "moved"- so I heard today. Is that the way it is Elaine? The shadow of a
      sundial in my part of the world moves anticlockwise- it dances in a
      different direction. Perhaps we should use anticlockwise clocks in
      honour of this.

      Fond Greetings,
      Bruce