Re: [anthroposophy] circle/vessel/Grail Cup

  • Richard Distasi
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2000
      Hello Elaine, I'm glad that you liked the painting by Rossetti. It was
      submitted by another individual in another e-group (esoteric-images
      e-group). I thought it was somewhat fitting for the poem that you had
      submitted earlier. I sent an e-mail to that individual asking about the
      object that the dove (Holy Spirit) is holding in its beak. If and when I
      receive a reply I will pass it on to you. Thanks, [rick distasi].
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2000
        >It is the Circle, the Vessel, the Womb
        >that enfolds us, holds us,empties us,
        >creates us, creates us.

        Dear Elaine,
        Thank you for sharing your poetry with us.
        I remember a couple of years back, when I was at a "Steiner"
        get-together, some folk were annoyed when others performed a circle
        dance. These critics thought this was just not "Steiner."

        The people at this school were of the New Age/"native peoples" type -
        which is pretty standard I believe. I guess parents like this see
        Waldorf as the closest thing to their views.

        Anyways, a lot of what has become "Waldorf" is not derived from Dr.
        Steiner teachings.

        I was able to point out a lecture where RS talked about the attraction
        of the circle and dancing in circles.

        Some time ago posted a description of the founding of the Order of the
        Garter. It's purpose was one of honouring the "discuss" as you have
        presented in poetic form.

        Talking of circles and things, there is the expression "widdershins" to
        describe a circle which is formed against anti-clockwise against the
        Sun. Thus it was common custom to stir a Christmas cake "sunwise" for
        instance.
        As you know, water whirlpools in a different direction down here (or up
        here depending on how you look at it). So things are quite back to front
        "over" here.

        Our clocks move clockwise only because that is how the old sundials
        "moved"- so I heard today. Is that the way it is Elaine? The shadow of a
        sundial in my part of the world moves anticlockwise- it dances in a
        different direction. Perhaps we should use anticlockwise clocks in
        honour of this.

        Fond Greetings,
        Bruce