Re: Heads Up: Steiner's "Esoteric Lessons"

  • Stephen Hale
    Message 1 of 70 , Aug 2, 2007
      --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Hale"
      <sardisian01@...> wrote:
      > So Carol, if you want to grow, then grow, and if you want to be
      rude,
      > then I will give you this post.

      I have just uploaded into the Files Section all that has been said
      concerning the subject of the Eighth Sphere, minus the rhetorical
      comments, and including the latest installment, which begins where
      we left off concerning those culprits, Lucifer and Ahriman. - Steve

      "Now, as I said, all that I can do in these introductory studies is
      to give some general information-the rest will emerge as we
      proceed. First of all, you can understand that what is around us as
      the Eighth Sphere is accessible to Imaginative-visionary
      clairvoyance. To develop Imaginative clairvoyance without
      perceiving something of the Eighth Sphere is impossible. The reason
      why it is so difficult to speak of matters such as the Eighth Sphere
      is because really clear and discriminative clairvoyance is possessed
      by so few. In the Eighth Sphere we have to do with Imaginations,
      and what constitutes the essential nature of Earth-evolution-that is
      to say, the Fourth Sphere-is "not" present in the Eighth Sphere.
      The essential nature of the Fourth Sphere is constituted, as I
      indicated yesterday, by the mineral impregnation of this world-
      body. That we are able to live on the Earth is due to the fact that
      this Fourth Sphere has been mineralized: we live in a mineralized
      environment; what is perceived through the physical senses can be co-
      ordinated by the intellect. But we must conceive that the mineral
      element is totally absent from the Eighth Sphere.

      When we eliminate the mineral element in thought, all that remains
      is a later stage of the Old Moon evolution, for whence could
      anything else originate? But evolution proceeds; something that is
      perceptible through Imaginative, visionary clairvoyance but could be
      nothing else than a residue of the Old Moon-that would be no Eighth
      Sphere. All that could be said would be that something has been
      left behind by the Third Sphere.

      In order to have some inkling of facts relating to the Eighth
      Sphere, let us keep the following in mind. In the course of its
      regular evolution, the Third Sphere became the Fourth Sphere; that
      is to say, a transition of the third elemental kingdom-for that is
      what we must call it-to the mineral kingdom took place. The mineral
      element was added. Otherwise we should have to conceive of the Old
      Moon as a sum-total of substantiality, imaginatively perceptible!
      It must therefore be assumed that the regular progression from the
      Old Moon to the Earth, from the Third Sphere to the Fourth Sphere,
      consists in what was formerly only imaginatively perceptible
      becoming materially perceptible, that is to say becoming
      mineralized. As the Eighth Sphere there remains, to begin with, the
      Old Moon element, but owing to a particular happening this Old Moon
      element undergoes a change. What took place in order that the
      Fourth Sphere might be able to arise from the Third is clearly
      described in the book "Occult Science", where it is said that to the
      activities of the Spirits of Movement are added those of the Spirits
      of Form under whose guidance the whole process of the transformation
      takes place. We can therefore say that the Fourth Sphere arises out
      of the Third through the fact that the Spirits of Form add their
      activities to those of the Spirits of Movement.

      If the Spirits of Form had achieved everything that their own nature
      desires and moreover is able to achieve, when the mission of Sphere
      Three was fulfilled in the Cosmos, Sphere Four would have arisen
      quite naturally from Sphere Three. That is obvious. But we know
      that Luciferic and Ahrimanic spirits are at work-and they hold back
      for themselves something of the Old Moon substantiality, wrest it
      away, as it were, from the Spirits of Form. The fact that Lucifer
      and Ahriman do so is indicative of their essential nature. Thus as
      Sphere Three is advancing to a further stage, something is wrested
      from the Spirits of Form by Lucifer and Ahriman; into this part that
      is wrested away, Lucifer and Ahriman penetrate, instead of the
      Spirits of Form. The activities of Lucifer and Ahriman are added to
      those of the Spirits of Movement and, as a result, Eighth arises out
      of Three-The Eighth Sphere out of the Third Sphere.

      Something else, then, must be there, not merely the Old Moon, and
      this "something else" which comes into being as well as Sphere Four
      is constituted by the fact that mineral substantiality, as it comes
      into being, is wrested away at the moment of the birth of the
      Fourth Sphere. Thus when the mineral comes into existence out of
      the Imaginative substantiality, it is snatched by Lucifer and
      Ahriman and made into Imagination. Instead of an earth arising from
      the remaining Old Moon substantiality, a cosmic body takes shape
      whose birth is due to the fact that the substantiality wrested from
      the Earth is made into what has come over from the Old Moon.

      Now recall how I have described the conditions pertaining to the Old
      Moon, in the book "Occult Science". In the Old Moon there was as
      yet nothing mineral. Had mineral substance been present, that world-
      body would have been an Earth, not Moon. Sphere Four comes into
      being through the birth of the mineral element. In that Lucifer and
      Ahriman approach, snatch mineral substantiality out of Sphere Four
      and infuse it into Sphere Three, the Old Moon is recapitulated, but
      now with materiality that belongs properly to the Earth.

      Mark this well: instead of pure Imaginations being there, the
      Imaginations are densified by the infusion of a mineral element that
      has been wrested from the Earth. Densified Imaginations are thus
      created. We are therefore drawn into a world of densified
      Imaginations which are not lunar in character because they have been
      densified by materiality belonging to the Earth. They are ghosts,
      spectres-that is to say, behind our world there is a world of
      spectres created by Lucifer and Ahriman."

      --From Lecture 5, "The Occult Movement in the Nineteenth Century",
      by Rudolf Steiner, 10-25 October, 1915.
    • carol
      Message 70 of 70 , Aug 11, 2007

        I'm sorry, we don't seem to be speaking the same language, strangely enough. But that which is common between us both, is that we  both inhabit this earth on this year 2007. We  share the same language of communication. We also read works by Steiner. I invite you to glance at this excerpt from The Metamorphosis of Intelligence-The Fundamental Social Demands of our Time. From this passage, you may be able to gain a hint or even an understanding of how, and under what circumstances I think.

        I personally don't feel that I should be compelled  to pay lip service to specific elements of the American folk soul in any way, shape or form if I choose not to. I feel that I am entitled, through the authority held by the heavens even, to live freely, in spirit, in the deepest sense of the word and in the form that I'm able to discover through my own hard efforts ...

        Again, my own translation from French to English, pratically word for word.

        "...If you study historic rapports (relationships) within a symptomatology of history, you will find the following: it appears that Protestantism is all natural to instinctive intelligence, which is inbred in occidental Europe and America, an 'evidence' that manifests itself often enough in political and religious life. This absolutely self evident instinct impregnates all, it does not require a particular dispositon, even though here and there, you will find the hearts of reformists quite enflamed by it. Instinctive Protestantism has no need to call upon Reform as was the case in central Europe; it exists naturally in the West, we could even say: the West is born protestant, central European discusses protestantly, for precisely, protestantism calls forth discussion on intelligent things. In this instance, it is not inborn.

        Russia, for it's part, pushes it away, refuses it, doesn't want of it and being Russian, it cannot accept it. Russianism and Protestantism do not support each other.

        That which I've spoken of has value not only in a confessional point of view but expresses itself within all the cultural impulse. Take for example how the West receives Marxism. It is over there greeted as a protest against (former) ancient property rights, etc... in the center, we discuss of these same subjects, we will quarell over them, doubt them, we'll say many unecessary things, all of which is significant to the caracter of the peoples of central Europe. In the East, it takes on strange forms, there we transpose it, we recompose it completely and there we find it penetrated by and colored in Orthodoxy. It's not carried over into ideation, but only into the manner in which the Russian places himself in front of it, how he imprints it with Orthodoxical faith.

        This comment (remark) reveals just how much it is necessary to draw back from exterior assessments in order to have an indepth view. You will understand much if you develop in yourselves the habit to say to yourselves, when facing all phenomena in life: words in the way that we use them today, have become ' used money'; what is thought of things and expressed through language, never corresponds to it's exact truth. One must go even deeper, I would say, the protestantism in the way that it defines itself today, through habit in how we form thought, is no longer capable of expressing anything real. You see, it is so necessary to overcome the image of the word, the image of the idea, in order to apprehend it's truth in a way that is living.....

        (And a few pages later)

        ...So when a person scolds another, it's not because the one being scolded is like this or like that, but because the scolder experiences the need to scold and wishes to be relieved of it.

        This has now to do with considering things in a way other than the one of which we are accustomed. Grasping Spiritual Science at the deepest levels of the soul is in many circumstances, quite other, than what even anthroposophist represent for themselves..." RS.

        The Metamorphosis of Intelligence- The Fundamental Social Demands of our Time. Dornach 15.12.1918