Re: Heads Up: Steiner's "Esoteric Lessons"

  • Stephen Hale
    Message 1 of 70 , Aug 1, 2007
      [From Lecture 5, "The Occult Movement in the Nineteenth Century".]
      "This means that an organ enabling man to perceive the Eighth Sphere
      would have to be developed, just as his physical senses enable him to
      perceive the material Earth. He could then experience the Eighth
      Sphere quite consciously; but unconsciously he is always within it-just
      as we are always within the air, even if we are not aware of it. And
      if we have developed an organ for experiencing the Eighth Sphere, we
      are conscious of it around us. So that if the Eighth Sphere is to be
      described, it must obviously be described as a realm in which we are
      living all the time."

      " This same pineal etheric organ of sight, that is wet nursed on exact
      sensorial fantasy, was the premature eye that struck Saul dumb at
      Damascus.... where we can say as the lyrics tell us, "blinded by the
      light'...." --From "Foundations of Esotericism", c.1905.
    • carol
      Message 70 of 70 , Aug 11, 2007

        I'm sorry, we don't seem to be speaking the same language, strangely enough. But that which is common between us both, is that we  both inhabit this earth on this year 2007. We  share the same language of communication. We also read works by Steiner. I invite you to glance at this excerpt from The Metamorphosis of Intelligence-The Fundamental Social Demands of our Time. From this passage, you may be able to gain a hint or even an understanding of how, and under what circumstances I think.

        I personally don't feel that I should be compelled  to pay lip service to specific elements of the American folk soul in any way, shape or form if I choose not to. I feel that I am entitled, through the authority held by the heavens even, to live freely, in spirit, in the deepest sense of the word and in the form that I'm able to discover through my own hard efforts ...

        Again, my own translation from French to English, pratically word for word.

        "...If you study historic rapports (relationships) within a symptomatology of history, you will find the following: it appears that Protestantism is all natural to instinctive intelligence, which is inbred in occidental Europe and America, an 'evidence' that manifests itself often enough in political and religious life. This absolutely self evident instinct impregnates all, it does not require a particular dispositon, even though here and there, you will find the hearts of reformists quite enflamed by it. Instinctive Protestantism has no need to call upon Reform as was the case in central Europe; it exists naturally in the West, we could even say: the West is born protestant, central European discusses protestantly, for precisely, protestantism calls forth discussion on intelligent things. In this instance, it is not inborn.

        Russia, for it's part, pushes it away, refuses it, doesn't want of it and being Russian, it cannot accept it. Russianism and Protestantism do not support each other.

        That which I've spoken of has value not only in a confessional point of view but expresses itself within all the cultural impulse. Take for example how the West receives Marxism. It is over there greeted as a protest against (former) ancient property rights, etc... in the center, we discuss of these same subjects, we will quarell over them, doubt them, we'll say many unecessary things, all of which is significant to the caracter of the peoples of central Europe. In the East, it takes on strange forms, there we transpose it, we recompose it completely and there we find it penetrated by and colored in Orthodoxy. It's not carried over into ideation, but only into the manner in which the Russian places himself in front of it, how he imprints it with Orthodoxical faith.

        This comment (remark) reveals just how much it is necessary to draw back from exterior assessments in order to have an indepth view. You will understand much if you develop in yourselves the habit to say to yourselves, when facing all phenomena in life: words in the way that we use them today, have become ' used money'; what is thought of things and expressed through language, never corresponds to it's exact truth. One must go even deeper, I would say, the protestantism in the way that it defines itself today, through habit in how we form thought, is no longer capable of expressing anything real. You see, it is so necessary to overcome the image of the word, the image of the idea, in order to apprehend it's truth in a way that is living.....

        (And a few pages later)

        ...So when a person scolds another, it's not because the one being scolded is like this or like that, but because the scolder experiences the need to scold and wishes to be relieved of it.

        This has now to do with considering things in a way other than the one of which we are accustomed. Grasping Spiritual Science at the deepest levels of the soul is in many circumstances, quite other, than what even anthroposophist represent for themselves..." RS.

        The Metamorphosis of Intelligence- The Fundamental Social Demands of our Time. Dornach 15.12.1918