Re: [anthroposophy] Re: THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD

  • elaine upton
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2000
      Hello Bruce and all,

      Thanks, Bruce, for this installment of your wonderful online
      lecture-commentary-summary of "The Light of the World" (Owen Barfield). I
      get chills in the (contextualized) hearing of the words to the Disciples (to
      us): "Ye are the light of the world."

      Thanks for the thoughts on the backwardness of eros in relationship to
      procreation and Father-forces, and on the opportunity we have to move
      forward, through that inner Light, to Death (as in the model/ideal of the
      Christ being-within us).

      Now, we have been given this opportunity to go forward through that
      sentence, that declaration, that pronouncement: Ye are the light of the
      world."

      So,on a related thread, if you will bear with me:
      It just so happens that this morning in my college English class, we spoke
      about what the word "sentence" really means, within and beyond the narrow
      confines of grammar. We talked about how certain people are granted, or
      endowed with, the authority to make declarations, pronouncements, sentences
      (judges, clergy, the U.S. President to "declare" war, Thomas Jefferson and
      U.S. Founding Fathers to declare "Independence" from Great Britain, and to
      shape a nation by declaring that "All men are created equal" with certain
      "inalienable rights").
      In Judeo-Christian Western cultures (where most of my students are members),
      there is that "original" sentence of creation: "Let there be light". (In
      Genesis, "God said, 'let there be light', and there was light.")

      Here is the power to declare, to make sentence, to create. And light
      emerges.

      And then, by the time of The New Testament, we hear the Christened One
      saying, "Ye are the light of the world."
      Quite a history in light of Light!

      Even physicists today (the ones i am familiar with in my amateur way) speak
      of all things as various degrees of vibrations of light (maybe that is the
      outer light, but a mirror of that Inner Light).

      I'll look forward to your next installment.
      Meantime, a question to you or anyone moved to answer:
      What is the meaning of "The Earth was without form and void, and darkness
      was upon the face of the deep. And God said, 'let there be light', and there
      was light." (I suppose this is not the best translation, and I am not at
      home, where I might still have my copy of Steiner's Genesis lectures, so I
      am remembering here only the "King James' version of that all important
      declaration.)

      Any thoughts?

      Love,
      ealine