Christianity and anthroposophy-Re: [anthroposophy] Re: Chart of Jesus

  • Carl Johansson
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 5, 2000
      You have standards for people regarding who is "good",
      "better", "bad" based on Christian values. I have from
      the start not been talking about this, but about consciousness
      and awareness.

      In eastern esotericism, as the soul incarnates through
      the Earth it becomes more in control with each experience.
      How does it experience? Pain and suffering are strong
      experiences. Why does it suffer? Because it has "sinned"
      (acted against the laws of karma) in the past. So increased
      control (and with it awareness, since it can more easily
      make a stand against the lower nature) in certain ways
      seems to run opposite to the Christian concept of
      "goodness". (Of course the incarnating soul is forced
      to repent through karma in subsequent lives.)

      Steiner calls the above process "aging". On a related note,
      he says that the soul can gain skills in one life
      which are transferred to subsequent lives and builds
      on previous skills.

      To me this seems explain the phenomenon of difference in
      awareness, at least to some degree. If everyone was born
      equally aware, there would be no room for someone like
      Steiner for instance. I am myself ready to accept the
      concept that there are people who are more aware spiritually
      than I am, and also some who are less. Regarding "betterness",
      Steiner says that the only criterion for that should be one's
      actions.

      Regards,
      CJ