Personal Brain Reader

  • Maurice McCarthy
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2007
      Hi All,

      Some news.

      Hitachi are on the verge of producing a 'personal mind reader' (?!) -
      according to this post from an academic discussion forum on the nature of

      Date: 2007/05/31 Thu PM 02:45:54 GMT
      To: PSYCHE-D@...
      Subject: Testing Quantum Consciousness

      Dear All:

      I would like to propose a criterion for the experimental testing of
      hypotheses about the ultimate brain correlate of consciousness (I am not
      using the usual "NCC" anymore because the possibilities cannot be 'a
      priori' restricted to neurons).

      The criterion is the following: if consciousness is a properly
      quantum entity, then the measurement of the activity of the ultimate
      correlate in a human subject will cause a reportable effect on
      phenomenal consciousness, and no other (third-person, observable)
      relevant effect.

      Theorists of quantum consciousness are invited to describe
      how available models could be tested according to this criterion.

      My model (see previous posts) can be tested by means of
      the measurement of calcium ion movements (waveforms)
      in the brain, using a multilaser scanner at ultraviolet range.

      It may sound like science-fiction, but this kind
      of equipment - operating at the near-infrared range - will
      be commercialized by Hitachi (see below). The infrared
      range was chosen possibly because it is harmless and has
      already been successfully compared with BOLD fMRI.
      Ultraviolet can be harmful depending on the intensity.

      Best Regards,

      Alfredo Pereira Jr.
      São Paulo State University

      > Walkman-style brain scanner
      > Hitachi has successfully trial manufactured a lightweight, portable
      brain scanner that enables users to keep tabs on their mental activity
      during the course of their daily lives. The system, which consists of a
      400 gram (14 oz) headset and a 630 gram (1 lb 6 oz) controller worn on
      the waist, is the result of Hitachi's efforts to transform the brain
      scanner into a familiar everyday item that anyone can use.
      > The rechargeable battery-operated mind reader relies on Hitachi's
      so-called "optical topography" technology, which interprets mental
      activity based on subtle changes in the brain's blood flow. Because
      blood flow increases to areas of the brain where neurons are firing (to
      supply glucose and oxygen to the tissue), changes in hemoglobin
      > concentrations are an important index by which to measure brain
      activity. To measure these hemoglobin concentrations in real time, eight
      small surface-emitting lasers embedded in the headset fire harmless
      > near-infrared rays into the brain and the headset's photodiode sensors
      convert the reflected light into electrical signals, which are relayed
      to the controller.
      > The real-time brain data can either be stored in Flash memory or sent
      via wifi to a computer for instant analysis and display. A single
      computer can support up to 24 mind readers at a time, allowing multiple
      users to monitor brain activity while communicating or engaging in group
      > activities.
      > In addition to health and medical applications, Hitachi foresees uses
      for the personal mind reader in fields such as psychology, education and
      marketing. Although it is unclear what neuromarketing applications the
      company has in mind, it is pretty clear that access to real-time
      customer brain data would provide marketers with a better understanding
      of how and why shoppers make their purchasing decisions. One can also
      imagine interactive campaigns that, for example, ask customers to think
      positive thoughts about a certain product in exchange for discount
      coupons or the chance to win a prize.
      > The technology could also be used in new forms of entertainment such as
      "mind gaming" where the player's physical brain activity becomes a part
      of game play. It is also feasible to integrate the brain scanner with a
      remote control brain-machine interface that would allow users to operate
      electronic devices with their minds.