Re: Thinking

  • Stephen Hale
    Message 1 of 37 , May 25, 2007
      As previously explained, thinking has its seat in the etheric body,
      and its expression in the astral body. True cosmic intelligence is
      knowable to anyone who makes the thought-based effort to cultivate
      spiritual science in its reasoned form. This was Rudolf Steiner's
      great contribution as the very first human being to possess modern
      exact clairvoyance; a future faculty. As such, he was the earthly
      emissary of the Archangel Michael. The relationship cannot be
      denied because Steiner told us about it in 1924 as part of the
      Karmic Relationships lectures. He tells us this very significant
      fact about himself and Michael, which began in Weimar in 1890, when
      he was 29 years old. And that revelation, in itself, makes Rudolf
      Steiner a very important person. It is important when a spiritual
      event occurs in life at the twenty-ninth year. Especially, when it
      progressively leads to talking more and more about the Christ
      Impulse, and its meaning for human evolution. Please don't anybody
      miss this.

      Now, under normal conditions the astral body is seated throughout
      the nervous system of the human body; completely ramified into it
      once the astral body returns to the other sleeping members in the
      morning, when we wake up from sleep. And it remains thereso
      throughout the entire day of waking conscious experiences, giving
      the basis of our sense intelligent experiences, as well as the
      supersensible thought experiences if we happen to partake in the
      cultivation of spiritual-scientific knowledge. Because even the
      theoretical intake of this knowledge affects the astral body as its
      active expression. Anybody who does it knows it already for a fact,
      and can corroborate what I am saying.

      But it is also possible for the astral body, under certain
      conditions, to not be seated entirely within the nervous system
      during the day. And under these conditions, it can leave and return
      pretty readily when it wants to, having inner and outer body
      experiences quite readily. It is matter of the seating of the
      astral body, and disturbances that prevent it taking place under
      normal conditions.

      > "The only problem is I dont hear any thoughts. Maybe one has to
      > actively think them. I don't need to when I am lying down, I have
      loads
      > of thoughts effortlessly, but when I get to the computer they are
      > replaced with a whole bunch of new ones. So I keep going back and
      > forwards trying to write down the thoughts I am having in my
      bedroom and
      > then sending or cancelling these ones that arise in front of the
      > computer. Must be the ahrimanic deception!"
      >

      > I don't think it is, I think it's Lucifer giving your thoughts
      > their flighty quality. Avarohanam, do you want more than that?
      Would
      > you find pleasure in that your own soul (conscious and
      unconscious)
      > would have the authority to impose stability on your whole thought
      > process, onto your whole being?
      >

      > The following are descriptions of Luciferic and Ahrimanic powers.
      > haven't actually read these lectures, though I've read others
      > which are not available on the internet for free. May I suggest
      taking
      > a look? That's if, you can keep your legs still long enough…
      >

      > http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/Places/Dornach/19141120p01.html
      > <http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/Places/Dornach/19141120p01.html>
      >

      > http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/Places/Dornach/19141121p01.html
      > <http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/Places/Dornach/19141121p01.html>
      >

      > http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/Places/Dornach/19141122p01.html
      > <http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/Places/Dornach/19141122p01.html>
      >

      > Carol.
      >

      > PS. How hot is it there?
      >

      > In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Avarohanam Raga <avarohanam@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > To give you the kind of heat that I am suffering from over here.
      > sleep in wet clothes under a fan and I invariably wake up in the
      middle
      > of the night needing to take another shower because my clothes have
      > dried. The computer room is the worst. Wet clothes don't help at
      all in
      > here...
      > >
      > > None of these are the thoughts that I was thinking, but these
      are the
      > thoughts that are allowing themselves to be revealed. Now let me
      try an
      > exercise of will here, stretch my legs, flex my calves, and see if
      I can

      Message 37 of 37 , Jun 18, 2007

        R.S.

        http://steinerbooks.org/research/archive/kingdom_of_childhood/kingdom
        _of_childhood.pdf

        "Before the change of teeth you can still see quite clearly at
        work the effects of the child’s habits of life before birth or
        conception, in its pre-earthly existence in the spiritual world. The
        body of the child acts almost as though it were spirit, for the
        spirit that has descended from the spiritual world is still fully
        active in a child in the first seven years of life.

        "You will say: A fine sort of spirit! It has become quite
        boisterous; for the child is rampageous, awkward, and incompetent.
        Is all this to be attributed to the spirit belonging to its pre-
        earthly life? Well, my dear friends, suppose all you clever and well-
        brought-up people were suddenly condemned to remain always in a room
        having a temperature of 144o Fahrenheit? You couldn’t do it! It is
        even harder for the spirit of the child, which has descended from
        the spiritual worlds, to accustom itself to earthly conditions.

        "The spirit, suddenly transported into a completely different world,
        with the new experience of having a body to carry about, acts as we
        see the child act. Yet if you know how to observe and note how each
        day, each week, each month, the indefinite features of the face
        become more definite, the awkward movements become less clumsy, and
        the child gradually accustoms itself to its surroundings, then you
        will realize that it is the spirit from the pre-earthly world that
        is working to make the child’s body gradually more like itself.

        "We shall understand why the child is as it is if we observe the
        child in this way, and we shall also understand it is the descended
        spirit that is acting as we see it within the child’s body.
        Therefore for someone who knows the mysteries of the spirit it is
        both wonderful and delightful to observe a little child. In doing so
        one learns not of the earth, but of heaven.
        "In so-called “good children,” as a rule, their bodies have already become heavy, even in infancy, and the spirit cannot properly take hold of the body. Such children are quiet; they do not scream and
        rush about, they sit still and make no noise.

        "The spirit is not active within them, because their bodies offer
        such resistance. It is often the case that the bodies of so-called
        good children offer resistance to the spirit.

        "In the less well-behaved children who make a great deal of
        healthy noise, who shout properly, and give a lot of trouble, the
        spirit is active, though of course in a clumsy way, for it has been
        transported from heaven to earth; but the spirit is active within
        them. It is making use of the body. You may even regard the
        wild screams of a child as most enthralling, simply because you
        thereby experience the martyrdom the spirit has to endure
        when it descends into a child-body.

        "Yes, my dear friends, it is easy to be a grown-up personâ€"easy
        for the spirit, I mean, because the body has then been made
        ready, it no longer offers the same resistance. It is quite easy to
        be a full-grown person but extremely difficult to be a child. The
        child itself is not aware of this because consciousness is not yet
        awake. It is still asleep, but if the child possessed the
        consciousness it had before descending to earth it would soon notice
        this difficulty: if the child were still living in this pre-earthly
        consciousness its life would be a terrible tragedy, a really terrible
        tragedy.

        "For you see, the child comes down to earth; before this
        it has been accustomed to a spiritual substance from which it
        drew its spiritual life. The child was accustomed to deal with
        that spiritual substance. It had prepared itself according to its
        karma, according to the result of previous lives. It was fully
        contained within its own spiritual garment, as it were. Now it has to
        descend to earth. I should like to speak quite simply about these
        things, and you must excuse me if I speak of them as I would if
        I were describing the ordinary things of the earth. I can speak of
        them thus because they are so. Now when a human being is to
        descend, a body must be chosen on the earth."