Jesus in Theosophical History

  • 888
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2000
      Hi Carl,
      I couldn't access any sites this morning. On accessing the
      site now I see that James quotes Gregory Tillet from his bio on
      Leadbeater:

      "There is not a single reputable Biblical scholar, archaeologist or
      historian who supports this claim, and, on the basis of modern research,
      there is no reason to seriously question the traditional date for the
      birth of Jesus at about 5 B.C." (p. 272).

      http://idt.net/~pdeveney/forewardkrish.html

      Regarding Steiner's description of HPB's occult vision of the event:
      http://www.elib.com/Steiner/Lectures/19111023p01.html

      "A Bodhisattva-Individuality, the successor of Gautama Buddha, was
      incarnated in Jeschu ben Pandira, of whom Oriental Theosophy speaks. And
      to clairvoyant vision it seemed as though nothing of particular
      importance happened 105 years after Jeschu ben Pandira had lived. Think
      of H. P. Blavatsky. She directed her occult gaze to the time when Jeschu
      ben Pandira was living and saw that a great Bodhisattva-Individuality
      was incarnated in him. But because her entanglement in an Oriental trend
      of Theosophy had limited her powers of vision, she was incapable of
      seeing that 105 years afterwards, the Christ had come. Of Christ she
      knew only what was said in the West, and from this she conceived the
      notion that no “Christ” ever lived, that it was all make-believe; but
      that 105 years before our era there had lived a certain Jeschu ben
      Pandira, who was stoned and then hanged on a tree — who was not,
      therefore, crucified. Jeschu ben Pandira was now described as if he had
      been Jesus of Nazareth. This is a complete confusion. Concerning the
      real Jesus of Nazareth who was the Bearer of the Christ, nothing is
      said. Jeschu ben Pandira, who had lived 105 years earlier was said to be
      “Christ,” because a European name was thought to be desirable."

      -Bruce