Re: Yoga and Anthroposophy

  • 888
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 1999
      Dear Art,
      >In review, it occurs to me though that the fear- orientation to Yoga
      is
      >misplaced.

      Rudolf, in his lectures on the Bhagavad Gita stated that anthroposophy
      was a re-presentation of the three categories of knowledge in that text:
      the yogic, vedic and sankyha. He marvelled at the great knowledge
      embodied in the Sankyha phliosophy- the Spiritual Science of its time.

      >You mentioned your friend's breathing meditation that he adopted
      from a
      >book saying "My death your life-My life your death." Having never read
      the
      >material it came from it would be difficult to comment on, but in none
      of
      >the texts I'm familiar with have I ever seen such a meditation. Is
      Steiner
      >the source?

      You will find many of the privately given exercises in "From the History
      & Contents of the First Section of the Esoteric School." The above
      exercise was done in the presence of a plant.
      Some of the exercises given to counteract the harm that occult exercises
      may cause, are given in the "sixfold path". Elaine has posted this on
      her list- Could you post it here, Elaine, if you're able at this time?

      >There are countless meditations being offered today by many sources,
      that's
      >why its a good idea to use trustworthy materials. In India classic Yoga
      >schools have the Guru-Chela (Teacher-Pupil) tradition that has
      preserved
      >trustworthy practices and also can suit the practice to the individual,
      >particularly in the more advanced stages.

      Yes that is the classic model. However Dr.Steiner explained that in the
      Christian Mystic path the Teacher/Pupil relationship was lessened- even
      moreso in the Rosicrucian path.

      >I have seen Christianity as Bhakti Yoga, or the Yoga of "devotion".

      Yes that is the case with mysticism. There is also Christian Occultism
      and Esotericism which are two different things.

      There
      >are many Yogas and many paths.

      Agreed- though i wonder if the student should be familiar with all of
      the them, not to master them, but receive their benefit in some measure.

      > The Eastern Orthodox Church has a tradition very close to Yoga known
      as
      >the Hesychast tradition which itself is sometimes under attack as not
      being
      >orthodox, but it has been around many centuries and represents I feel
      some
      >valid practices.

      Yes, I've heard of that. RS speaks of an advanced student who lived last
      century, Laurence Oliphant, who came upon deep mysteries after working
      with breathing exercises given him by T.L. Harris. But he had to do much
      work in the area of developing his will forces before the exercises
      became of any benefit.

      >Thanks Bruce for the discussion! - Art

      Nice of you to drop in,
      Bruce