Re: [anthroposophy] Astrology

  • CJ
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 24, 2000

      > From this time of knowledge of the Invisible Cosmos came the early astrological traditions
      with
      > their very regular structural characteristics (l2 signs of 30 degrees each, etc etc.). As
      humanity
      > became more and more "emancipated", and freedom more essential (to some degree), the visible
      cosmos
      > coalesced into the structured starfield we know today. As it (the visible cosmos) emerged into
      > visibility, it "broke away" from the Invisible Cosmos in a certain kind of sense. This process of
      > "solidification" into "appearences" meant the taking on of form of what was essentially formless
      > (although regular and balanced and harmonious).

      This is an antropocentric view in my opinion. According to theosophy the constellations
      are the "bodies" of certain beings, Steiner only uses the term "force". So their existence
      would be independent of the perceiver.

      Theosophy claims that for a time there was eight signs as humans were not receptive
      to the others, then ten (minus Aquarius & Pisces) until humans became receptive to
      today's zodiac. Theosophy also claims that the signs Virgo and Cancer were effective
      already at what Steiner's calls "Old Saturn" (when present-day humanity was mineral,
      according to theosophy this was in another solar system, followed by a "Pralaya" or
      "sleep").

      In my view it's possible that a mistake was made by the Babylonian astronomers (who
      presumably no longer posessed direct intiution) regarding equal divisions, and Cyril
      Fagan picked up on this mistake. Regarding the vedic zodiac, Vedic astrology as
      we now it today was resurrected in 19th century (following India's dark age under
      muslim rule).

      Although the oldest known vedic work (written in sanskrit) also uses an
      equal zodiac, there is some justification for believing that some of Vedic astrology
      has been borrowed from Greek tradition, which maybe indicates that it's
      not as old as commonly thought (but most of it does not correspond to Greek
      tradition in any way to my knowledge). (If you ask a Hindu, he will of course
      vehemently claim that it's all preceding the Kali Yuga, or the worldwide "dark
      age" we have been in since about 3000 B.C.) In turn I believe some things
      like the Moon's nodes have been imported into western astrology from India.

      Regarding your comments about direct observations, there would of course
      be no need for astrology at all if everyone could perceive things like Dr. Steiner.
      He mentions that while the night sky may appear regular and symmetric to the
      physical eye, when it's viewed spiritually that's far from the case. He also says
      the physical planets are the remains of actions which have occured a long time
      ago, so it's not the physical things in the sky which have any astrological
      effect (but instead the spiritual hierarchies associated with them). Certainly if
      you meditate on what is visible long enough perhaps your awareness would
      increase, but that applies equally to anything else (not just stars).

      Regards,
      CJ