Self & Selflessness

  • 888
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2000
      Dear Friends,
      The development of Man up to this point has been to enhance the
      separateness of the individuality and selfishness is part of this. The
      mission of alcohol played a part in this.

      In ancient times we experienced our "I" most naturally in all that was
      around us- the spiritual world as well. The mystic sought to regain some
      of this consciousness - "I am this world". This was the old tribal
      consciousness which still persists in some of our Australian
      Aboriginals.

      This sense of individuality has left us with a loneliness, which is very
      apparent today.

      The development of this separate "I" will not end here, but in a
      voluntary co-operative society in the future- known as the Sixth Race,
      or Philadelphia in Revelations. (The Six Sub Race will be the seed of
      the Sixth Root Race.)

      "For selfless deeds are the real foundations of immortality: this is the
      reflex of selfless deeds in the outer world."
      RS

      Another paradox- we only get to keep what we give away.

      "To do something for the higher self is not selfish because it is not
      done only for the self. The higher self will be united with all other
      higher selves, so that is done for all at the same time."
      RS
      "A tiny handful of men will save themselves and pass over to the sixth
      epoch. This tiny handful will have developed complete selflessness."
      RS

      Compassioin for self is a caring for oneself, it is not egotism. So
      many times today we hear of people hating themselves and sometimes
      suiciding because of that hate. Compassion for self is right and
      correct, so is a strong I AM or ego-identity. Conceit is a different
      matter.

      Vanity gives us a false view of ourselves in our relationship to the
      world.
      We may tempted to lie to ourselves about
      ourselves, because we are pained by some of our faults. Marcus Aurelius
      has some wonderful things to say in his Meditations about a healthy view
      of self- all the more
      important considering his status as the most powerful man in the world
      of his time.

      Our true enduring self is our higher self. Our personality will perish
      at the end of this life.

      There is a little here on the Cultural Epochs:
      http://home.earthlink.net/~jeauxy/taosjrvw.htm

      The letters to the Churches relate to the seven Sub Races.
      http://www.bibleandanthroposophy.com/main/burning_bush/charts_tabs/i25.h
      tml

      -Bruce