offline for a while--modem zapped

  • elaine m upton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 1999
      Dear friends,

      carol and i are off-line for a while, because last Tuesday night, July 6,
      there was a major
      thunderstorm in our area, and our modem was zapped by lightning. Our
      computer is
      now in the shop for repairs, and the repair people say they have a big
      backlog of work, and it may take some time before they come round to
      working on our modem problem.

      This afternoon, we are away from home, and are here at carol's parents'
      house, in Hyde Park, New York (an hour or so from where we live in Lenox,
      Mass). Thus, i am able to borrow carol's dad's computer, where we also
      have set up our Juno email account. But tonight we return home, and so
      will probably not see email for at least a week, maybe longer.

      Those of you at OPEN-CIRCLE, , do keep the fires burning.
      We realized a day or so ago that tucker's phone number is the only one of
      open-circle that we have,
      and i wonder if it would be a good idea to exchange phone numbers. I
      would like this.
      (tanzen, you once sent your number, but it is tucked away in my 'folder'
      in my computer,
      which is in the shop. I did not write it out!--ha! Did not prepare for a
      rainy --er uh, stormy!!-
      day--smile).

      Well, our neighbor's house had major fire damage ($50,000 or so), so we
      and our landlord
      came off lightly --with zapped modems and VCR's only.

      Well, to all of you, friends/family, we hope you are well, and we will be
      in touch with you
      as soon as we are able.

      kaffea, have you moved yet?