Re: History Lesson

  • Steve Hale
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2007
      --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "Valerie Walsh" <wdenval@...>
      wrote:

      > After having dug to a depth of 1000 meters last year, Scottish
      > Scientists found traces of copper wire dating back 1000 years and
      came
      > to the conclusion that their ancestors had a telephone network in
      place
      > already 1000 years ago.
      >
      > Not to be outdone by the Scots, in the weeks that followed, English
      > scientists dug to a depth of 2000 meters and shortly after
      headlines in
      > the UK newspapers read: "English archaeologists have found traces
      of
      > 2000 year old fibre-optic cable and have concluded that their
      ancestors
      > already had an advanced high-tech digital communications network a
      > thousand years earlier than the Scots."
      >
      > One week later, Irish newspapers reported the following: "After
      digging
      > as deep as 5000 meters in a County Mayo bog, Irish scientists have
      found
      > absolutely nothing. They, therefore, have concluded that 5000
      years
      > ago, Ireland's inhabitants were already using wireless technology."

      "How often have we been told in the course of history lessons that
      man has made continual progress and that he has grown wiser and
      wiser! You will remember how the stages of increasing wisdom were
      presented; for example, you were shown that at the beginning of
      modern times man arrived at the point where he invented gunpowder,
      paper from rags, paper from wood-pulp, and so on. Your soul was
      delighted at man's ascent. By means of his intellect man has
      learned to make paper. One might suppose that it was an original
      invention. But to one who contemplates the world in its totality
      this appears in a different light. Wasps could do this long before,
      for a wasps' nest is constructed of material which is exactly the
      same as paper. Thus thousands of years before in the nest of the
      wasp there already existed what man afterwards achieved through his
      subjective wisdom. It is not the single wasp that can make paper,
      but the group-soul, the ego which holds together the whole group of
      wasps. It possessed this wisdom long before man. And wherever you
      look, if you are not blind, you will find wisdom in everything."

      From The Apocalypse of St. John, Lecture Seven, 24 June 1908.