Re: Notes on Iran

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 17, 2007
      Can a U.S. War With Iran Be Prevented?

      by Karen Kwiatkowski

      "Even after a long winter of orchestrated chanting and battlegroup
      repositioning, springtime American attacks on Iranian territory are
      not written in stone. Such a war is not predetermined, except in the
      minds of neoconservatives in this country and some politicos in Tel
      Aviv.

      We should remember that these people do not run the country,
      ostensibly still a Republic. True, this mindset of war-economics and
      benign super-dominance of the world is appealing to many in
      Congress. Those with the ability to deliver votes, and take them
      away, seem to want this next iteration of creative destruction. More
      dangerously, this mindset grips the military-industrial complex and
      even many diplomats for reasons of self-actualization. War makes
      them relevant, prosperous, significant.

      If we were a kingdom, George W. Bush would be our King. If George W.
      Bush were our King, a war with Iran would indeed be inevitable. To
      stop that war, we would need to stop the king himself – and stopping
      a king is often something that requires bold action on the part of
      those with access to him.

      http://www.lewrockwell.com/kwiatkowski/kwiatkowski175.html

      If we were a kingdom trying to stop a troublesome king, we might
      look to the person closest to him. For us, this would be the vice
      president, Dick Cheney. However, if we were a kingdom today, we
      would be witness to a power behind the throne in the form of a well-
      placed civilian with a mystical reputation for force of personality,
      and a posse of loyal samurai willing to kill and die for him. Other
      empires have had their Grigori Rasputins, their Agrippinas, their de
      Richelieus. If we were a kingdom, we would have Dick Cheney.

      If we were a kingdom, a key source of power with excellent access to
      a wayward or delusion king would be the head of the king's army.
      Marine General Peter Pace has recently stated that he "believes"
      Iran is involved in Iraq against our troops, but he sees no need
      for "kinetic action against Iran." Well, I suppose that's
      comforting. In a kingdom, the top military officer would be
      exceptionally loyal to his king. In a republic, he would be loyal to
      the Constitution, or perhaps, the "people." The jury is out on
      Perfect Peter, but somehow I think he will be of little assistance
      this time.

      If we were a kingdom, we might seek the help of trusted advisors to
      the king, and call on their persuasive skills to realign the kingdom
      towards fiscal sanity, peace, and civility. The modern American
      serfs might set their hopes on the lovely Condi Rice, ostensibly
      holding an important position and personally close to the president.
      However, her latest obfuscations to the Congress should leave the
      serfs less than inspired.

      If we were a kingdom, those who speak for the serfs might truly be
      our salvation. In a republic, a congress may represent the people,
      and in ours, holds the sole charter to declare wars and to impeach
      incompetent and corrupt officials. If we were a kingdom, we would
      have something similar, perhaps a parliament that exists to advise
      the king, but rarely if ever overrule him. It might be called a
      parliament of whores, to borrow a moniker popularized by P.J.
      O'Rourke. Not much help, if we were a kingdom.

      If we were a kingdom, we would be in dire straits. We would be
      saddled with a crazed and warlike fantasist as king, a powerful
      warlike fantasist as his right hand man, a perfect peter as top
      military man, an über-loyal diplomatic advisor, and a parliament of
      whores standing alert and ready like trained dogs.

      Are we not a republic? A republic would, in response to the desires
      of a supermajority, turn back our carrier battle groups, and bring
      our troops home from Iraq and elsewhere in the world where they
      occupy unwanted garrisons. A republic would seek constitutional
      inspiration and hard truth in order to make foreign policy. A
      republic would take action to impeach corrupt officials, and remove
      from power those who have proven to be both criminal and grossly
      incompetent in their public duties.

      If we were still a republic, reversing the stupidity and hubris of
      this administration and bringing troops home, much less avoiding
      this so-called inevitable attack on Iran, would be achievable, and
      even normal.

      If we are still a republic, I am not justified in advocating harsher
      and more radical action.

      But if we are no longer a republic, then more radical action by
      individuals and groups is surely appropriate. Today, those who wish
      for good government and a wise foreign policy charitably march on
      Washington during the weekend, disrupting no traffic, and seeing few
      lawmakers. If we are not a republic, it is legitimate to act in a
      less charitable manner, perhaps by shutting down traffic around the
      White House Monday through Friday, and disrupting the everyday
      activities of our monarchy and their lackeys in other creative ways.

      If we are not a republic, we have already lost a great deal of that
      for which we fight as a nation – and thus we ought to feel no
      obligation to fight solely for an unpopular king. If we are no
      longer a republic, we should be supporting the troops not by sending
      sunscreen and love letters but by encouraging desertion,
      insubordination, and rebellion at every turn.

      If we are a kingdom, or an empire ruled by our own special Nero,
      then we have nothing to gain by following the rules of republican
      citizenship, and everything to gain by ignoring them.

      I don't know if we will attack Iran or other countries from the sea,
      the air, and our lily-pads in puppetized post-Saddam Iraq and post-
      Taliban Afghanistan. I don't believe it is inevitable, exactly. If
      we were a republic, we would not do it.

      Sadly, habit and evidence both point in a different direction, one
      of more murder, more death, more destruction – and it demands that
      each of us begin to learn and practice new and more frightening ways
      to be patriots and republicans."