Fwd: Calendar of the Soul 44 - anthro on the net

  • TomBuoyed@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2007
      -----Original Message-----
      From: rgmcc@...
      To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;
      Cc: rgmcc@...
      Sent: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:10 AM
      Subject: Calendar of the Soul 44 - anthro on the net

      Anthroposophy on the Net - Calendar of the Soul

      Rudolf Steiner’s
      Calendar of the Soul[February 11, 2007 - February 17, 2007]

      Forty-fourth Week
      (Originally February 2-8)
      Seizing each new sensation
      And mindful of the spirit’s birth fulfilled
      My soul’s lucidity imbues
      The whirling tumult of the world’s becoming
      With my thinking’s own creative will.
      * translation by John Thomson.
      As I grasp my senses newborn stirrings
      with clarified atmosphere of soul,
      I am mindful that the birth of spirit
      fills the wildly growing, tangled world becomings
      with world creative willing in my thinking.
      * translation by Dennis Klocek.
      Stirring new sensual magic,
      recalling its own spirit birth,
      the clarity of my soul
      now fills
      the bewildering, teeming,
      evolving universe
      with the creative willing
      of my own thinking.
      * translation by Tom Mellett.
      In reaching for new sense attractions,
      Soul-clarity would fill,
      Mindful of spirit-birth attained,
      The world's bewildering, sprouting growth
      With the creative will of my own thinking.
      * translation by Ruth and Hans Pusch
      Ergreifend neue Sinnesreize
      Erfüllet Seelenklarheit
      Eingedenk vollzogener Geistgeburt,
      Verwirrend sprossend Weltenwerden
      Mit meines Denkens Schöpferwillen.
      * original German by Rudolf Steiner.
      Noticing through her senses new delights
      soul recalls spirit lately brought to birth,
      pervading with her own serenity
      born of creative willing in my thought
      a world's chaotic bursting into life.
      The Year Participated
      translation by Owen Barfifield

      About the Calendar of the Soul - by Rudolf Steiner
      The year has a life of its own, and the human soul can share in that life and become part of it. In listening week by week to the changing language of the year, the soul will find a way to discover also its own nature; it will realize how forces are stirring within its being and giving it new life and strength. Such forces are awakened if one develops a profound sympathy with the course of the year and all the meaning it brings to the changing world. Only through such sympathy can the soul become aware of the fine but significant threads that bind it to the world into which it is born.
      In this Calendar the verse given for each week is intended to help the soul into an experience of that week as part of the life of the whole year. The Calendar is designed to express all that echoes in the soul when it unites itself with that life. It aims at creating a healthy feeling of at-one-ness with the goings–on of nature, and consequently a strong self-discovery, in the belief that to share in the yearly movement of the world, in the manner exemplified in these verses, is something for which the human soul has a deep longing, if only it understands its own nature.
      History of the Calendar of the Soul Verses
      The first limited edition of The Calendar of the Soul Verses was published in March 1912 as part of a calendar, never to be reissued. Imma von Eckhardstein illustrated the calendar, following Steiner’s indications, mainly of the twelve zodiacal images. In 1918, the verses of the Calendar of the Soul were distributed along with a short introduction  by Rudolf Steiner, was packaged together with Waldorf Astoria cigarettes to reach German soldiers struggling at the end of World War I. This was part of a project, initialized by Emil Molt, the owner of the Waldorf Astoria Cigaretten Gesellschaft, which also evolved into a publication of the verses as an insert in a few Herman Hesse editions reaching German prisoners of war.

      "You will find meditative verses for the individual weeks of the year. You should take these meditations quite particularly into your hearts, for they contain what can make the soul alive and what really corresponds
      to a living relationship of the soul forces to the forces of the macrocosm." - Rudolf Steiner
      About the 'flowing nature' of the German version
      of the Calendar of the Soul

      - by John Riedel
      The verses in Steiner's Calendar of the Soul have a system of organization in German in which the words and lines flow smoothly.  Breaks in this seem to be for emphasis.  Just as the words must be translated into English words, the system must be translated into an English system of equal grace and flow.  I have rhymed somewhat more than is found in the original German, but it is part and parcel of the system that I have used to translate the full sense of the German, and should not be considered an arbitrary add-on.
      Many earlier translations have relied heavily on the word cosmic for the German Welten, but  for an English-speaking scientist  cosmic means high powered rays coming from the stars.  Welten usually refers to a definite planetary body or sphere, or the spiritual being therein, but  might refer to everything outside of a man up to and including the stars and universe, a seeming reprise of the Ptolemaic system.
      Steiner's calendar clearly begins in the Spring.  Easter, St.John's, Michaelmus, and Christmas may have somewhat different names and exact dates of celebration in different traditions, but it is clear that these four main festivals occur around the times of the equinoxes and solstices.
      Sensory wonders newly viewed
      With clarity of my soul imbued,
      I construe as actual spirit births,
      Twining the buds of what may be
      With creative power of thought in me.
      (this weeks verse)
                                          St.John's --------->   12-13
                                      (polar verse) --------->  9    15
                                                                             6      19
                                                                              3    23
                                               Easter------------> 1-26 <------ Michaelmas
                                                                            27 - 52
                                                                           29      49
                                                                          32        45
                                                                           34      44 <------(this week's verse)
                                         Christmas----------> 38- 39
        * provided by translator Tom Mellett: go to www.antroposofi.org

      * the Calendar of the Soul is a series of  52  verses, one for each week of the year.

      * The original week of this verse was  February 2-8 which due to shifts forward in calendar dates, coincides with today's dates.

      Please express your appreciations to the parties below:
      Responses: We welcome responses to this notice of any type; compliments and those that point to ways to improve. All responses are copied forward and sent to our staff and onto the parties in this notice. All will read your words. Thank you!

      Anthroposophy on the Net: We are an independent Anthroposophical news/information organization with a mission to assist anthroposophists and other interested parties learn about anthroposophy and anthroposophical endeavors.
      Join us: If you would like to join our email list and receive announcements, advertise an event, or be deleted from our email list, please send us an email at anthroposophy on the net or write to us at 7618 Southcliff Drive, Fair Oaks, CA. 95628. (916) 962-0755 / the Editor / Randolph McCready.
      Forwarding this email? If you wish to forward this email to a friend or friends, then click on the forward icon, place the cursor in the upper left corner of the page, press delete, which will erase the identity information so that the word "anthroposophy"  is in the upper left of the screen. Now you are ready to send. You can also refer people and addresses to me to put on our list and I will contact them with a query.