Re: [anthroposophy] Steiner's "Initiation to the Grade of Rosicrucian Apprentice"

  • elaine upton
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2000
      Hello Bruce and all,

      Of this "rosicrucian/masonic" "initiation", all i can say is hmmmmm.....
      (flatly)--

      And thanks.

      Loving,
      elaine

      >From: "888" <bhive@...>
      >To: "Anthroposophy" <anthroposophy@egroups.com>
      >Subject: [anthroposophy] Steiner's "Initiation to the Grade of Rosicrucian
      >Apprentice"
      >Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 11:35:32 +1000
      >
      >Dear Friends,
      >I have a description by M. Robert Kuentz of Steiner's "Initiation to
      >the Grade of Rosicrucian Apprentice."
      >A few highlights: You are told to dress in white. You are blindfolded
      >and all metal taken off you.
      >
      >You enter the Temple and circumnambulate the room three times. After a
      >spoken formulae the bandage is removed, you see Steiner in front of you
      >holding a skull under your nose. Steiner has two servers bearing
      >candles.
      >
      >Steiner is completely clothed in red with red cap. He is before an altar
      >in the form of a cube, on which are a cup, crucifix and candle. There
      >are three altars in all.
      >
      >At this point you are wearing the masonic apron. You place your hand on
      >the Gospel of John and are told the password. With two extended swords
      >curious signs are made in front of you.
      >
      >Then a sermon from Steiner on Hiram and Solomon... then the repast.
      >Second address from Steiner now wearing an alb of lace; he speaks on the
      >Triangle and the eye of God.
      >Closing of ceremony which has lasted four hours. Ritualistic knocks with
      >mallets on the three cubes, black draperies removed. You are surrounded
      >with ruby red... You are Initiated!
      >
      >In the early days of theosophy there was also an initiation ceremony.
      >
      >Cordially,
      >Bruce

    • 888
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2000
        >Of this "rosicrucian/masonic" "initiation", all i can say is
        hmmmmm.....
        >(flatly)--
        Hi Elaine,
        A bit too weird/strange for you?
        How much of it is true?
        It's probably a pretty standard Masonic initiation.
        To what extent was Steiner involved in Masonry?
        He speaks highly of John Yarker the prominent Mason.
        I guess we'll have to wait for the publication of "From the History and
        Contents of the Cognitive-Cultic Section of the Esoteric School
        1904-1909" (GA265), for the full story.
        And also interesting will be "Ritual texts for the Celebration of the
        Free Christian Religious Instruction" (GA 269)

        All this shouldn't be so strange for those living in the U.S.A. Remember
        the country was founded by men (Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin) who
        regularly involved themselves in rituals like that described. The Great
        Seal has the Masonic pyramid and all seeing eye. I have read that the
        capstone represents the Lost Word.

        So it's a bit rich when Americans speak of the dangers of Anthroposophy
        when their own country was founded on the "occult religion" of
        Freemasonry. I wouldn't be surprised that the separation of Church and
        State was based on the Masonic fear of the Catholic Church.

        And what about Abraham Lincoln, one of America's most beloved
        Presidents? There is evidence to suggest that he was an occultist, and
        at least one historian has noted this.

        Fond Regards,
        Bruce

        The greatest fortress of light is that of the truth.
        -B.Hive