Re: [anthroposophy] Re: Light of the World

  • 888
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2000
      >I enjoyed reading your comments. I was struck by the near juxtaposition
      of
      >two statements:

      Hi Lynell,
      This was the continuation of Owen Barfield's lecture, not
      my words. Sorry I didn't make that clear last time. I began these
      postings because he explains some important points to do with the Eros
      light- this had come up in discussion earlier.
      As did the topic of asceticism, which comes up in this section of the
      lecture in the form of Christianity as a religion of comfort and joy- or
      the "Vale of Tears" philosophy.

      We do really have a mixture of both here on earth.

      >###I do, however, feel impelled to quote one short, dry-perhaps even
      harsh-
      >sentence of Rudolf Steiner's. It is this: "It is an indispensable
      condition
      >of initiation that we should not wish things were otherwise."###

      Is this sentence is more along the lines of the Vale of Tears
      philosophy?- suffer now and there will be joy later.
      OB:
      "I do not mean, by quoting it, to encourage anyone who feels despair to
      infer from that that he is a very important person, for whom initiation
      is only just around the corner. "

      Ooh, Barfield was a toughy. No joy here.

      The words of the Beatitudes are a comfort to those for whom life is a
      constant suffering I suppose.

      What about those poor old Anthroposophists?:
      OB
      "It is, for instance, within my knowledge that
      there are people within this Movement who feel that they have just about
      reached the end of their tether; who really do not know which way to
      turn; to whom life appears to be one long series of seemingly
      meaningless frustrations; people for whom, in their inmost souls - or
      what they as yet feel to be such - life really does, in one way or
      another, wear the mask of something like a living death. "

      I wonder if they were miserable before or_after_ they joined up. This
      was in 1953, how are things today?
      How does anthroposophy tender to the above? Does it just say "You
      shouldn't wish things were otherwise."
      Or can it offer some of that comfort and joy?

      Christianity as a religion of comfort and joy is most fully expressed in
      St. John's Gospel (which contains no parables BTW).
      John 10:10 I am come that they might have life, and that they might have
      it more abundantly.

      What a powerful life affirming/ life giving verse/ meditation this is!
      This is real super fecundity!

      >###It [the Decalogue] is, on the contrary, the framework, the
      scantlings -
      >rather the blueprint - for ***man's own voluntary co-operation*** with
      the
      >First, Second and Third Hierarchies in their age-long labour of
      constructing
      >a human Ego out of divine materials.###

      Yes _free_ cooperation, such an important point.
      Barfield discusses an important juxtaposition in this lecture: that of
      the woman taken in adultery followed by the "I am the Light of the
      World" discourse.
      Another juxtaposition: after discussing Christianity as a religion of
      comfort and joy he then goes on to talk about sex- that is the next
      instalment.

      Welcome & Greetings,
      Bruce