Re: Light of the World

  • L. K. Landru
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 28, 2000
      888 (?)

      I enjoyed reading your comments. I was struck by the near juxtaposition of
      two statements:

      ###I do, however, feel impelled to quote one short, dry-perhaps even harsh-
      sentence of Rudolf Steiner's. It is this: "It is an indispensable condition
      of initiation that we should not wish things were otherwise."###

      and

      ###It [the Decalogue] is, on the contrary, the framework, the scantlings -
      rather the blueprint - for ***man's own voluntary co-operation*** with the
      First, Second and Third Hierarchies in their age-long labour of constructing
      a human Ego out of divine materials.###(Emphasis mine)

      What jumped out for me was the idea that we should not "wish things were
      otherwise" because, not only are we within a divine plan, but we have
      voluntarily chosen to cooperate in this plan. I believe that the more I
      understand my part in creating (cooperating with) my own life, the more
      effective my knowledge and effort will become in fostering harmony and
      wholeness around me. Isn't this what spiritual evolution is about?

      Steiner says:
      "When we contemplate our being, which we ourselves have built up in the
      past, we must say to ourselves: 'We bear within ourselves the elements of a
      dying world. These elements work within us. Yet gradually, with the help of
      the new immortal elements awakening within us, we are able to break their
      power.' "

      Lynell K Landru
      lk@... <mailto:lk@...>

      If you can imagine it, you can achieve it.
      If you can dream it, you can become it.
      ~ William Arthur Ward
    • L. K. Landru
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2000
        Bruce wrote:

        ###This was the continuation of Owen Barfield's lecture, not
        my words. Sorry I didn't make that clear last time. I began these
        postings because he explains some important points to do with the Eros
        light- this had come up in discussion earlier.###

        Thanks for the clarification and the welcome. After sending my message, I
        realized that I had not formally introduced myself to this group. I had
        joined this group and the steiner group but had only introduced myself
        there. I'll copy that intro here since the same info applies. :-)

        ***I live in Alaska, so when I visit the lower 48, I always spend time in
        bookstores. (Our shopping experience is fairly limited in Fairbanks.) My
        last trip out, end of May, I happened to run across books by Steiner and was
        immediately drawn to them. I bought all five books that they had. Since
        then, I have found 6 more at a used bookstore here in town. So far, I've
        read Intuitive Thinking, half of Anthroposophy (A Fragment), and am
        presently reading How To Know Higher Worlds. I've also read a few of his
        lectures in the various other books.

        I've always been interested in metaphysics and esoteric writing, but have
        been drawn more to the Western tradition than to the Eastern. Steiner's
        ideas fit very closely with my own philosophy and with other approaches I
        have studied. I look forward to sharing these ideas with others and learning
        more.***

        Best Wishes,
        Lynell K Landru
        lk@... <mailto:lk@...>

        "Be the change you want to see in the world." ~ Mahatma Gandhi