Survival and the Good Movies

  • Valerie Walsh
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2007
      "When I offer you survival, you say it's hard enough to live." The
      Killers (1946)
    • Elsa Santos
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 23, 2007
        "A tiger gave chase to a monk who had been walking peacefully near a
        cliff, and the monk, running as fast as he could, had no choice but
        to leap off the edge of the cliff to avoid being eaten. He was able,
        as he leapt, to grab hold of a vine trailing over the cliff. He
        dangled in mid-air with the tiger snarling at him overhead and under
        him a very long fall into a rushing river full of boulders and yet
        another tiger awaiting his fall below. Then he noticed two mice
        gnawing at the vine, one black and the other one white. He also
        noticed, growing out of a cleft in a rock in front of him, a
        strawberry plant with one ripe berry. He ate it. He said: This is
        the best strawberry I've ever eaten.""
        Traditional Japanese parable

        "Hapiness is a state of permanent gratitude for what we are given.
        And there is always sooooo much to be greatful for...!"
        Elsa Santos ;)

        --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "Valerie Walsh" <wdenval@...>
        wrote:

        > "When I offer you survival, you say it's hard enough to live." The
        > Killers (1946)

      • Valerie Walsh
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 23, 2007
          --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "Elsa Santos" <elsamagosa@...>
          wrote:

          > "Hapiness is a state of permanent gratitude for what we are given.
          > And there is always sooooo much to be greatful for...!"

          This is so true and then again, there are those damn mice...I posted
          a picture of a mouse that I shot once and I have to say, considering
          the available lighting, I think this could be one of the best head
          shots I ever took...but over all I haven't had any trouble with mice
          myself.

          We had clothes moths for a couple years and since almost everything
          we own is cotton or wool they ate all our clothes and a good bit of
          our carpeting. I called the University Extension Service and everyone
          else I could think of but no one could really say anything except
          moth balls and well, that's very rare to have clothes moths in
          Colorado. So finally, I had to sit down and have a talk with them and
          I don't know if that did it or not-hard to know-but they did leave or
          die out or whatever it is that moths do, most likely though, I think,
          because they ran out of new things to eat.-Val
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 23, 2007
            Three great Imaginations from the cultural realm of movies:

            THE GREEN MILE

            http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120689/

            The Green Mile with Tom Hanks opens the option of the transformation
            of the Etheric body, the Life Body, which anchors itself in a
            particular person. This particular person does not operate within
            the deadening sphere of the intellect, but rather has the
            unfortunate karma to have a mighty etheric field dropped into his
            lap. It's a curse that the intellect certainly could not hold. Now
            the phase of Spirit Self to Life Spirit are stages we unfold slowly
            through our initiation process. In this instance, the Life Spirit is
            over amplified and the etheric forces are extremely enhanced so that
            by taking in the illness, the man transforms them. The Green Mile is
            an outstanding example of insight into the untold treasures of the
            future force of the Life Spirit.

            Which translates into examining, strictly speaking, the etheric life
            body. Within the dramatic structure of the film, this advanced
            capacity is truly difficult to hold without preliminary training.
            However the film is a brilliant picture of what the Life Spirit can
            do in an extreme and strange manifestation.

            CONSTANTINE

            http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0360486/

            This is an integrated over the threshold initiation film that
            focuses on humanity at the threshold and resembles the Algernon
            Blackwood's John Silence series. It stars Keanu Reeves. Crossing
            the threshold and having rather badly portrayed supersensible
            events, dealing with Baptism, water and moving over the threshold in
            a semi-cinematic cliff notes of unwilling initiate activity draws in
            the Spear of Destiny, Golgotha and the polarity of Gabriel, and
            those that work from lower worlds. It shows in sharp outline Man
            standing between upper and lower worlds. Capacities are bursting
            forth and revealing themselves while humanity is mere inches from
            unique stages of Consciousness that surround us.

            WHAT DREAMS MAY COME

            http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120889/

            Is an outstanding preliminary sketch of humanity after death and in
            the Devachan. The story is extremely rich and tracks the soul
            immediate after death relation to the living. It is very, very rich
            and stars Robin Williams. These three films stand out as vivid
            imaginations working their way into culture via the Angelic
            community and writers and directors that are unconsciously tapping
            the threshold where these imaginations continue to pour in.
          • Elsa Santos
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 23, 2007
              (sorry, really the last one now...) But I just had to say that the
              Green Mile is so beautiful!! One of my favourites. Also, mind if I
              add? "The Fisher King" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101889/ (Love
              Terry Gilliam, from Monty Puthon to 12 Monkeys, Brazil, all)and the
              theme of the Holy Grail, etc...

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 23, 2007
                Six Degrees fo Separation

                (Dir. by Fred Schepisi, with Will Smith, Stockard Channing, Donald
                Sutherland, Sir Ian McKellen, etc)

                Paul: "It is the worst kind of yellowness to be so scared of
                yourself that you put blindfolds on rather than deal with yourself.
                To face ourselves - that's the hard thing. The imagination - that's
                God's gift, to make the act of self-examination bearable."

                " The imagination. It's there to sort out your nightmare, to show
                you the exit from the maze of your nightmare, to transform the
                nightmare into dreams, that become your bedrock. If we do not listen
                to that voice, it dies, it shrivels, it vanishes. The imagination is
                not our escape. On the contrary, the imagination is the place we are
                all trying to get to."

                http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108149/

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
                  Pleasant surprise - Robert Altman's direction of "A Prairie Home
                  Companion"

                  "Asphodel, who became an angel after she died (which raises serious
                  theological problems if one is to pursue the logic) speaks of her
                  earthly activities: "I come to do His work ... and praise His holy
                  name." Yet mingled with her worshipful job description are other
                  more questionable claims. "[I put] tears on statues," she says. "One
                  time I put the face of the Lord on a bowl of oatmeal. But mostly I
                  just take people up to see God." When a man dies, she tells a
                  mourner that "every sparrow is remembered." Later, she asks a man if
                  he knows about "fullness of time in the spirit, which upholds and
                  sustains us all in this world. Amen."

                  http://www.pluggedinonline.com/movies/movies/a0002738.cfm

                  "...now I am become [Garrison Keillor], the destroyer of worlds..."

                  "So spake J. Robert Oppenheimer, the scientific director of
                  the "Trinity" explosion, the first test of a nuclear weapon.
                  Granted, he actually said "Shiva," but you would forgive Oppenheimer
                  the flub had you both seen the ambiguously profound and disturbingly
                  dark new Robert Altman joint, A Prairie Home Companion. The film,
                  based on the Garrison Keillor-hosted NPR variety show of the same
                  name, is more than meets the eye.

                  http://www.flakmag.com/film/prairiehome.html

                  "But you have probably read fewer items that discuss how Keillor
                  stares somewhat unnervingly at a teenage girl who was, in effect,
                  conceived as a result of his inattentive driving, or that the film
                  features an eerily acted angel of death who, in her life on Earth,
                  was killed in a car accident brought on by a particularly funny
                  Garrison Keillor joke on A Prairie Home Companion."

                  Bradford comments;

                  I hardly expected the rich theme that emerged from the new Robert
                  Altman film, "A Prairie Home Companion". The entire theme of the
                  taping of one standard Garrison Keillor show revolves around a dead
                  soul, a soul who died while listening to Prairie Home Companion, who
                  hovers around the show and is assigned to take souls through the
                  portal of death. To ease their transition. Few people are able to
                  see this warm soul spirit being, save those who have deeper
                  intution. Intuition warmed by spiritualized heart forces. Think
                  about this carefully.

                  I was surprised because I was never satisfied with the bold theme
                  of "Angels in America". "A Prairie Home Companion" gives the
                  intuitive heart a great deal more satisfaction and a lot less
                  distraction.
                  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0318997/

                  But knowing the warm humanistic core of the many Waldorf Schools
                  that sprinkle the Minnosota and North Dakota region and the
                  Norwegian and Lutheran Norse reality that hovers with American
                  Archangelic roots over the Paul Bunyan region where "A Prairie Home
                  Companion" and Lake Wobegone arises from, I was pleasantly surprised
                  to see the rich theme of the dead and the neighborning spiritual
                  world weave into this wonderful film.

                  To study language and culture pockets in America is to grasp with
                  cognition, different regions in America that have collected ethnic
                  and etheric group qualities. The solid Norse mythologies that I have
                  truly admired and studied and continue to study reveal a pocket of
                  thriving Norse and Archangelic inspiration that can be followed
                  clearly from Steiner's lectures on the Folk Souls to the etheric
                  qualities that Garrison Keillor represents.

                  Martin Luther King Jr. was a representative of the etheric and
                  ethnic vast humanistic and Consciousness Soul group, the Archangelic
                  group voice, of the rising Afro-American and human culture. His
                  danger to the establishment was from the saturation and rich etheric
                  roots of the mighty pool of gospel and religious forces that were
                  buried in the long, long suffering songs and souls of the African
                  Americans. His danger to the establishment was that his voice,
                  thinking and leadership opened a direct line to the moral rising
                  cosmos of the Etheric Christ Being. He was murdered to remove the
                  focus that pointed directly, intelligently, through the sharp
                  intellectual soul, and rising Consciousness Soul, a pathway to the
                  moral human cosmos humanity is creating.

                  This is all common sense and grasping with our understanding the
                  rich subject matter presented in The Folk Soul lectures by Steiner
                  and following those qualities into the heart of common sense America.

                  Garrison Keillor has held a voice, an ethical and moral common
                  sensical voice of the pocket of transplanted Norse impulses that
                  live strongly in a certain geographic region of the United States.
                  Geographic, biogregionalism arises from the accent and different
                  dialects that we hear in the tone of voice. This peculiar regional
                  tone of voice, very specific in Minnesota was brought out in the
                  film "Fargo". Now this is one method of approaching the lecture
                  Steiner gave on the Folk Souls. The Folk Souls lectures dove tail
                  right into understanding bioregionalism and the etheric qualities of
                  Geography.

                  Just as Gandhi brought that same moral and intellectual soul
                  cohesion and rode on the vast compassion and warmth of the Hindu
                  culture. He was murdered for his strength of cogntion. We as
                  students of Spiritual Science flounder in these regions and can't
                  seem to grasp how things and why things have come about.

                  We could walk anyone interested into the pockets in America where
                  the dialect, accent, regional expressions, from south, north, east
                  or west, when human beings hear it....gives rise to the
                  bioregionalism, as a term, which means the etheric qualities that
                  enter the voice and weave in the soul of various people born in
                  different regions. These observations all have to do with
                  Archangelic studies and effects that have migrated from Europe to
                  pockets in America.

                  The German pockets in Ohio - The recollected Cuban language spirit
                  in Florida as well as the Jewish migration to Florida. The TexMex
                  mingling of language and etheric qualities is very much an ongoing
                  theme under the intellectual heading of immigration and border
                  crossings. The Italian language forces of Frank Sinatra, New Jersey
                  and New York, little Italy. Chinese pockets in China town and out
                  west. Robert Redford digested his American Romantic Image and now
                  sits in the west with ranches, horses, The Sun Dance
                  Kid...representative of new film makers and new imagination and
                  voices over the world.

                  Jeff Foxworthy has done more for the healing and self awakening
                  forces through humor as a commedian, for the army of Redneck trailer
                  trash that swirls in sentient soul ignorance all through America, as
                  the result of poor jobs, bad education and American neglect.
                  Foxworthy became for a time the only voice that could stir
                  introspection required by all those lost in the toilet of the
                  American sentient soul. And it all had to do with Redneck Southern
                  tendencies that reveal the hypocrisy and suffocation of the soul.
                  Johnny Cash, also the voice of the redemptive field of sentient soul
                  of redneck America.

                  These bridged mysteries of how to enter and digest the Archangelic
                  and Angel regions where we are living in the far West and the
                  imaginations of the spiritual world that continue to pour into our
                  culture is hardly at all grasped by the Anthro in his stupor. The
                  Anthro should be out in front and seeing the road ahead and able to
                  stand, just as Kaspar Hauser was born on Michaelmas, locked away for
                  twelve years, a critical twelve years and murdered at twenty-one, so
                  too the history and thread of Grail Schooling is constantly blunted
                  and thwarted by the very students of Michael who should be
                  supporting the constant vision of the spiritual worlds.

                  http://www.reeltalkreviews.com/browse/viewitem.asp?
                  type=review&id=1724

                  "A movie convention, this angel called Dangerous Woman (Virginia
                  Madsen) was once Lois Peterson, a fan who fatally crashed her car
                  listening to PHC on the lonely way to a rendezvous with lover Larry.
                  Usually visible solely to a vain Noir who thinks to charm her
                  beauty, she gradually appears to select others, too, to "open heart
                  [s] to the fullness of time and spirit, love" and ease their
                  inevitable journey. Too consciously ethereal, she will however prove
                  useful in the practical plot world, such as it is. By way of a
                  perhaps not entirely innocent remark of hers, the film steers clear
                  of what threatens to be the icky resolution of melting heartless
                  Axeman through a reunion with his younger days Dukes of Rhythm band.

                  The Altman eye for quirks and throwaway details like Dusty's Man
                  With No Name stogie and Kiellor's wise wry observation of his
                  fellows' deep-down goodness, are what carry this crafted piece."