thanks, sarah& transgender-Re: Masculine and Feminine

  • elaine upton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2000
      Thanks, dear sarah, for all you shared on masculine and feminine
      working together, and of such qualities as footprints of the higher
      realms.

      I would add one little thing for now, and that is that masculine is
      not always in the male body and feminine not always in the female
      body, so to say. There are same sex couples who have interesting
      varieties of masculine and feminine impulses, and i think we can
      learn
      from these, and might do well to honor them. Also, there are an
      interesting, and wondrous group of beings who are androgynous, what
      native americans call--is it "twin soulled'?-- Drag queens and such
      tend to make this all comical, or sad, but there is a deeper reality.

      I had trouble watching the awful violence of the film, BOYS DON'T
      CRY,
      but i am happy that the life story, at least in part, of the one
      called Teena Brandon, and then Brandon Teena, was told (even if
      inadequately). Check out Leslie Feinberg for some real insight on
      those people known as transgender, who are also often transvestite.
      They are remarkable beings (though our society does nothing but
      harrass them and give them hell, and many sucuumb, end up living sad
      lives, but at heart, they are still remarkable...and can teach me a
      lot!!)

      When you are wedding-free and have time and inclination, i will be
      happy to hear about yoru experiences of your father's aging, and what
      you are learning.

      Love,