Re: Re: [anthroposophy] Soul-Calendar

  • DoctorStarman@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9 3:10 PM

      << What is St John's Tide?

      Why is the Sun in Gemini? I believe I've read something about the

      inaccuracies of our present zodiac due to something or other that I can't

      remember! and is that what Dr.Steiner is referring to?

      And also if I may with all respect.....why meditate on dead people? >>

      *******St. John's Tide is celebrated on June 24th but like the other 3
      festivals of the seasons it refers to a whole season rather than one day; and
      the soul-calendar verse for the 12th week after Easter was marked by Steiner
      as having the St. John's Tide mood. What this summer festival refers to as I
      understand it, is it's the opposite pole of Winter: Christmas is 3 days after
      the Winter Solstice, St. John's Day is 3 days after the summer one. At the
      summer solstice, the sun stands still for a few days and then begins to
      decrease its length of day-time, the maximum 14 hours being reached, and so
      the feast day of John the Baptist is set here, who said his Light must decreas
      e... while John the Evangelist (who has a mysterious connection with the
      Baptist) has his day set opposite, Dec. 27th.
      In the winter the soul is drawn in most to the body, while at this point
      in summer, which used to be called Midsummer's Day in many cultures, the soul
      strives outward, seeks to fly out of the body and connect with the spirit in
      a waking-dream state---for instance, the Plains' Indians' Sun Dance, in which
      the braves left their bodies in an ecstatic state seeking visions, was
      performed then.
      This is the St. John's mood, and you'll notice the verses all speak of losing
      self in light and warmth (which incidentally shows they are not to be
      reversed for the Southern Hemisphere, where it's winter now of course).
      The stars move one degree every 72 years or about one "sign" in about
      2,160 years, and so the CONSTELLATIONS are no longer where they were fixed in
      the calendar 2,000 years ago. While we are in the "sign" Cancer since June
      21st, the Sun is actually, astronomically, among the stars of Gemini. Steiner
      gave some dates for the beginning and end of the stellar influences which are
      a bit different from the astronomical ones, just as his Zodiac Ages begin and
      end at different times (the Sun's position physically at the vernal equinox
      since about the time of Christ was in the group of stars Pisces and is now
      happening in the empty space between Pisces and Aquarius, but Steiner asserts
      that the 'Age of Pisces' only really began in the 15th century).
      The famous personalities mentioned may be attuned to on those days, and
      you'll notice how Steiner followed the European tradition of speaking about
      some great person's life and contributions on their birth or death days. The
      Christed soul looks back to earth on the day of its birth into the spiritual
      world, which is his death day on earth, like Erasmus on July 12th. This was
      an old Church tradition: the doors of churches dedicated to St. Patrick, for
      instance, were even oriented to the sunrise on his day.

      Dr. Starman
    • Catherine
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10 12:02 PM
        Thank you very much!
        Could you please now point in the direction for more information on this:
        >Steiner asserts
        > that the 'Age of Pisces' only really began in the 15th century).

        and also do you know where I might find more about:
        >"The famous personalities mentioned may be attuned to on those days" --I
        don't know why that is so?
        and:
        >The
        > Christed soul looks back to earth on the day of its birth into the
        spiritual
        > world, which is his death day on earth, like Erasmus on July 12th. This
        was
        > an old Church tradition: the doors of churches dedicated to St. Patrick,
        for
        > instance, were even oriented to the sunrise on his day.

        I know nothing about saints days or Erasmus...I think I have a hole in my
        education and I would most certainly like to fill it.

        thanks again
        love,
        Catherine
      • Asbolo
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10 1:01 PM
          > >Could you please now point in the direction for more information on
          > this: Steiner asserts
          > >that the 'Age of Pisces' only really began in the 15th century).

          http://www.expreso.co.cr/centaurs/steiner/epochs.html

          Asbolo.

          http://im.yahoo.com
        • DoctorStarman@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 10 5:39 PM
            Catherine wrote:

            <<Could you please now point in the direction for more information on this:
            *******Steiner asserts that the 'Age of Pisces' only really began in the 15th
            century).

            *******Too many places to go look up one right now. In every lecture where
            Steiner gives an overview of the Cultural Epochs and connects them with the
            zodiac ages you'll find him speaking about our epoch being the Age of Pisces
            and starting about 1413, or about the birth of Joan of Arc. Anyone here have
            one handy? If not I'll go look up a few...

            >"The famous personalities mentioned may be attuned to on those days" --I
            don't know why that is so?
            and:
            >The Christed soul looks back to earth on the day of its birth into the
            spiritual world, which is his death day on earth, like Erasmus on July 12th.
            This
            was an old Church tradition: the doors of churches dedicated to St. Patrick,
            for instance, were even oriented to the sunrise on his day.
            I know nothing about saints days or Erasmus...I think I have a hole in my
            education and I would most certainly like to fill it.

            *******It's no longer practiced in the Church, so they also have a similar
            'hole' these days; just so you don't feel you're the only one who doesn't
            know. These days they orient the architectural monstrosities they call
            churches to anything they please, and only old Catholic women remember
            saints' days at all...

            It has to do with the fact that any spiritual being on earth must connect
            to a part of the cosmos. What the Church used to do with medieval saints,
            Steiner does in the Soul-Calendar--- but then also adds moderns who have
            advanced the spiritual development of mankind (like Benjamin Franklin, Bruno
            and Hus) and events (like the abolition of slavery in N. America).

            The spirit of John the Baptist, through his life, connected itself to the
            cosmos in the area of the Sun's highest point, in midsummer, which once was
            in the constellation Cancer the Crab and now is in Gemini--- the time when
            what the alchemists call the Sulfur-forces of the cosmos descend to earth, as
            we see in the "St. John's bugs" or lightning bugs (or "June bugs") and the
            summer lightning...

            Dr. Starman
          • Catherine
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 11 2:19 AM
              > *******Too many places to go look up one right now. In every lecture where
              > Steiner gives an overview of the Cultural Epochs and connects them with
              the
              > zodiac ages you'll find him speaking about our epoch being the Age of
              Pisces
              > and starting about 1413, or about the birth of Joan of Arc. Anyone here
              have
              > one handy? If not I'll go look up a few...

              that's ok...I'll go do some searches under Cultural Epochs and see what I
              can find......thanks!

              >******** It has to do with the fact that any spiritual being on earth
              must connect
              > to a part of the cosmos. What the Church used to do with medieval saints,
              > Steiner does in the Soul-Calendar--- but then also adds moderns who have
              > advanced the spiritual development of mankind (like Benjamin Franklin,
              Bruno
              > and Hus) and events (like the abolition of slavery in N. America).

              O.... I see...this is very interesting........

              > The spirit of John the Baptist, through his life, connected itself to
              the
              > cosmos in the area of the Sun's highest point, in midsummer, which once
              was
              > in the constellation Cancer the Crab and now is in Gemini--- the time when
              > what the alchemists call the Sulfur-forces of the cosmos descend to earth,
              as
              > we see in the "St. John's bugs" or lightning bugs (or "June bugs") and the
              > summer lightning...

              I really enjoy these kinds of "symbols" and the way in which the different
              Masters endeavoured to portray the truths occultly, they are so often
              interwoven, intricate and even intimate...the alchemists, I think, were
              masters of the symbol.

              much food for thought, and thank you too for the article on Dr. Schweitzer,
              very inspiring and heart warming,

              love,
              Catherine