Re: [anthroposophy] Soul-Calendar

  • Catherine
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9 1:45 PM
      Hi all, Durward,

      I like these soul-calander postings and I'm glad you post in the original
      German; I like to read it like that as it tends to have a different flavour
      somehow and that is very much to my taste :-) My German is quite rusty now
      but I used to be better at speaking/listening to it than reading the written
      word. (I'm not sure why that is?)

      Anyway I wanted to show my ignorance.....and ask:
      What is St John's Tide?
      Why is the Sun in Gemini? I believe I've read something about the
      inaccuracies of our present zodiac due to something or other that I can't
      remember! and is that what Dr.Steiner is referring to?
      And also if I may with all respect.....why meditate on dead people? or any
      people really? aren't symbols better?--people being full of error, I might
      end up meditating on someone elses misconceptions and my own are bad
      enough...lol

      With Love,
      Catherine

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9 3:10 PM

        << What is St John's Tide?

        Why is the Sun in Gemini? I believe I've read something about the

        inaccuracies of our present zodiac due to something or other that I can't

        remember! and is that what Dr.Steiner is referring to?

        And also if I may with all respect.....why meditate on dead people? >>

        *******St. John's Tide is celebrated on June 24th but like the other 3
        festivals of the seasons it refers to a whole season rather than one day; and
        the soul-calendar verse for the 12th week after Easter was marked by Steiner
        as having the St. John's Tide mood. What this summer festival refers to as I
        understand it, is it's the opposite pole of Winter: Christmas is 3 days after
        the Winter Solstice, St. John's Day is 3 days after the summer one. At the
        summer solstice, the sun stands still for a few days and then begins to
        decrease its length of day-time, the maximum 14 hours being reached, and so
        the feast day of John the Baptist is set here, who said his Light must decreas
        e... while John the Evangelist (who has a mysterious connection with the
        Baptist) has his day set opposite, Dec. 27th.
        In the winter the soul is drawn in most to the body, while at this point
        in summer, which used to be called Midsummer's Day in many cultures, the soul
        strives outward, seeks to fly out of the body and connect with the spirit in
        a waking-dream state---for instance, the Plains' Indians' Sun Dance, in which
        the braves left their bodies in an ecstatic state seeking visions, was
        performed then.
        This is the St. John's mood, and you'll notice the verses all speak of losing
        self in light and warmth (which incidentally shows they are not to be
        reversed for the Southern Hemisphere, where it's winter now of course).
        The stars move one degree every 72 years or about one "sign" in about
        2,160 years, and so the CONSTELLATIONS are no longer where they were fixed in
        the calendar 2,000 years ago. While we are in the "sign" Cancer since June
        21st, the Sun is actually, astronomically, among the stars of Gemini. Steiner
        gave some dates for the beginning and end of the stellar influences which are
        a bit different from the astronomical ones, just as his Zodiac Ages begin and
        end at different times (the Sun's position physically at the vernal equinox
        since about the time of Christ was in the group of stars Pisces and is now
        happening in the empty space between Pisces and Aquarius, but Steiner asserts
        that the 'Age of Pisces' only really began in the 15th century).
        The famous personalities mentioned may be attuned to on those days, and
        you'll notice how Steiner followed the European tradition of speaking about
        some great person's life and contributions on their birth or death days. The
        Christed soul looks back to earth on the day of its birth into the spiritual
        world, which is his death day on earth, like Erasmus on July 12th. This was
        an old Church tradition: the doors of churches dedicated to St. Patrick, for
        instance, were even oriented to the sunrise on his day.

        Dr. Starman
      • Catherine
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10 12:02 PM
          Thank you very much!
          Could you please now point in the direction for more information on this:
          >Steiner asserts
          > that the 'Age of Pisces' only really began in the 15th century).

          and also do you know where I might find more about:
          >"The famous personalities mentioned may be attuned to on those days" --I
          don't know why that is so?
          and:
          >The
          > Christed soul looks back to earth on the day of its birth into the
          spiritual
          > world, which is his death day on earth, like Erasmus on July 12th. This
          was
          > an old Church tradition: the doors of churches dedicated to St. Patrick,
          for
          > instance, were even oriented to the sunrise on his day.

          I know nothing about saints days or Erasmus...I think I have a hole in my
          education and I would most certainly like to fill it.

          thanks again
          love,
          Catherine
        • Asbolo
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 10 1:01 PM
            > >Could you please now point in the direction for more information on
            > this: Steiner asserts
            > >that the 'Age of Pisces' only really began in the 15th century).

            http://www.expreso.co.cr/centaurs/steiner/epochs.html

            Asbolo.

            http://im.yahoo.com
          • DoctorStarman@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 10 5:39 PM
              Catherine wrote:

              <<Could you please now point in the direction for more information on this:
              *******Steiner asserts that the 'Age of Pisces' only really began in the 15th
              century).

              *******Too many places to go look up one right now. In every lecture where
              Steiner gives an overview of the Cultural Epochs and connects them with the
              zodiac ages you'll find him speaking about our epoch being the Age of Pisces
              and starting about 1413, or about the birth of Joan of Arc. Anyone here have
              one handy? If not I'll go look up a few...

              >"The famous personalities mentioned may be attuned to on those days" --I
              don't know why that is so?
              and:
              >The Christed soul looks back to earth on the day of its birth into the
              spiritual world, which is his death day on earth, like Erasmus on July 12th.
              This
              was an old Church tradition: the doors of churches dedicated to St. Patrick,
              for instance, were even oriented to the sunrise on his day.
              I know nothing about saints days or Erasmus...I think I have a hole in my
              education and I would most certainly like to fill it.

              *******It's no longer practiced in the Church, so they also have a similar
              'hole' these days; just so you don't feel you're the only one who doesn't
              know. These days they orient the architectural monstrosities they call
              churches to anything they please, and only old Catholic women remember
              saints' days at all...

              It has to do with the fact that any spiritual being on earth must connect
              to a part of the cosmos. What the Church used to do with medieval saints,
              Steiner does in the Soul-Calendar--- but then also adds moderns who have
              advanced the spiritual development of mankind (like Benjamin Franklin, Bruno
              and Hus) and events (like the abolition of slavery in N. America).

              The spirit of John the Baptist, through his life, connected itself to the
              cosmos in the area of the Sun's highest point, in midsummer, which once was
              in the constellation Cancer the Crab and now is in Gemini--- the time when
              what the alchemists call the Sulfur-forces of the cosmos descend to earth, as
              we see in the "St. John's bugs" or lightning bugs (or "June bugs") and the
              summer lightning...

              Dr. Starman
            • Catherine
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 11 2:19 AM
                > *******Too many places to go look up one right now. In every lecture where
                > Steiner gives an overview of the Cultural Epochs and connects them with
                the
                > zodiac ages you'll find him speaking about our epoch being the Age of
                Pisces
                > and starting about 1413, or about the birth of Joan of Arc. Anyone here
                have
                > one handy? If not I'll go look up a few...

                that's ok...I'll go do some searches under Cultural Epochs and see what I
                can find......thanks!

                >******** It has to do with the fact that any spiritual being on earth
                must connect
                > to a part of the cosmos. What the Church used to do with medieval saints,
                > Steiner does in the Soul-Calendar--- but then also adds moderns who have
                > advanced the spiritual development of mankind (like Benjamin Franklin,
                Bruno
                > and Hus) and events (like the abolition of slavery in N. America).

                O.... I see...this is very interesting........

                > The spirit of John the Baptist, through his life, connected itself to
                the
                > cosmos in the area of the Sun's highest point, in midsummer, which once
                was
                > in the constellation Cancer the Crab and now is in Gemini--- the time when
                > what the alchemists call the Sulfur-forces of the cosmos descend to earth,
                as
                > we see in the "St. John's bugs" or lightning bugs (or "June bugs") and the
                > summer lightning...

                I really enjoy these kinds of "symbols" and the way in which the different
                Masters endeavoured to portray the truths occultly, they are so often
                interwoven, intricate and even intimate...the alchemists, I think, were
                masters of the symbol.

                much food for thought, and thank you too for the article on Dr. Schweitzer,
                very inspiring and heart warming,

                love,
                Catherine