Swan

  • 888
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2000
      Dear Joel,
      > Does anyone know about this Swan initiation level,
      >or have any resources to recommend?

      Thanks for this interesting question. I think white swans have been a
      symbol of excellence and faultlessness.
      But then down here we have black swans- lots of 'em. Just before when I
      was walking outside I saw two black Swans flying overhead and thought I
      must write to you.

      They are beautiful noble creatures, almost angels incarnate. I often
      watch them down at the beach where you can sometimes find twenty or
      thirty.

      There is the expression "swan song" which means death. This expression
      comes from the thought (Middle Ages) that Swans sung before they died.
      This is a clue to the Swan level of initiation.

      In the writings of Basil Valentinus the Swan represents the third level
      of initiation- Raven and Peacock being 1st and 2nd.
      In this level Inspiration as the Divine Word, the harmony of the
      Spheres, sounds forth.
      "In the third degree he meets death and must sing the Swan's song. He
      then dies to everything earthly."
      Notes from Walter Stein's The Ninth Century.

      Greetings,
      Bruce