soul

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 34 , Nov 11, 2006
      All,
      What do we mean in anthroposphy by the term soul? It seems to me that
      soul must be spiritual but then separately we have the term spirit as in
      body-soul-spirit. Sometimes in my readings it seems like soul functions
      are equivalent to astral body functions and or ego functions. So we have
      a complete human, or potential human, in the three bodies
      physical-etheric-astral then the ego (now being realized in this epoch)
      and the three germinal (bodies?) spirit self - life spirit - spirit man.
      We also have the sentient, intellectual and spiritual (consciousness)
      souls.
      I am progressing in my reading quite a bit, but I am still troubled by
      some basic concepts that I do not understand, and I want to drop the
      preconceived definitions of terminology, as Steiner suggested at the
      beginning of Theosophy and then let the new understanding unfold, in
      order not lose my way later on. Sorry if this is too basic a question or
      if this is not the proper forum to ask this on. A simple or short
      explanation would be useful to me first and then we can expand on it
      later if you like. That is, what do you find is a helpful way to
      visualize this concept soul? Maybe the answer is very simple.
      - Stephen
    • Steve Hale
      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 21, 2006
        Stephen, I have added three iterative aspects that correspond to the
        Body, Soul and Spirit components. Shown below, they represent the
        progressive work of the newly unfolding conscious ego in achieving
        the higher members of spirit as the further transformations of soul
        that occurred when the ego of man was still unconscious. As such,
        they represent the dissemination of the cosmic intelligence to man
        in a manner that accords and pleases God in the same way that Abel's
        gifts were favored over Cain's.

        Steve

        --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Stephen <celestial_vision@...>
        wrote:

        > > [page 20] 17. Man is a being who unfolds his life in the midst,
        > > between two regions of the world. With his bodily development he
        is a
        > > member of a 'lower world'; with his soul-nature he himself
        constitutes
        > > a 'middle world'; and with his faculties of Spirit he is ever
        striving
        > > towards an 'upper world.' He owes his bodily development to all
        that
        > > Nature has given him; he bears the being of his soul within him
        as his
        > > own portion; and he discovers in himself the forces of the
        Spirit, as
        > > the gifts that lead him out beyond himself to participate in a
        Divine