New Southern Cross Review

  • Jo Ann Schwartz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2000
      Those of you who are fans of the Southern Cross Review will be interested
      to know that a new issue has come out.

      Cheers,
      JoAnn

      -------------------------------

      Dear friends,

      The SouthernCross Review, Number 6 (July-August) is now on the web at

      http://www.SouthernCrossReview.org

      Before the usual brief description of the contents of this issue, we would
      like to bring your attention to something new. The SouthernCross Review
      has become an e-book publisher. Well almost. At this point there are only
      two books available: "Favela Children", by Ute Craemer, and "The Girl in
      the Floppy Hat and a Dozen More Stories", by Frank Thomas Smith. We are
      using another website for this, but as soon as the technology is in place
      we intend to do the whole job ourselves, and with a select list of books.
      Under "Social Issues", Ute Craemer's Favela Children continues to be
      serialized (despite the fact that it's now also available in its entirety
      as an e-book.)

      "Science" introduces Tom Mellet and his ideas about the great German poet
      Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, as a scientist. Not many of us realized that
      Goethe was also a scientist, a swimming-against-the-current one of course,
      so this article will be an eye-opener.

      The "Education" section offers an article with the intriguing title
      "Cleaning up a Toxic Childhood" by Joan Almon, coordinator of the
      "Alliance for Childhood" in the United States.

      The "Fiction" section (my favorite) contains four stories: "The
      Suppliant's
      Gift" by Anita Crocus, with an Uruguayan background; Norman Lock's most
      original story, "Hunting Icebergs" that features the Titanic, John Phillip
      Souza and a cast of cast-offs; Dierdre Maultsaid returns with a family
      crisis story called "When Night Falls"; and another of Gaither Stewart'
      Mexican tales rounds up the list.

      The "Children's Corner" retells a Toba Indian legend that is strikingly
      similar to the biblical Noah's ark - but without the water.

      And more...

      Frank Thomas Smith

      http://im.yahoo.com/