Our United Space

  • Valerie Walsh
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2006
      I came across this in the BBC News today so this pretty much does it for me-
      I'm going out to get a journal right now so I can record this gem:

      "The notion that you would do defence from space is different from that of
      weaponisation of space." This is a classic and totally true, near as I can tell. I
      think I missed my calling-I could be writing these press releases in
      Washington.-Val

      The US has adopted a tough new policy aimed at protecting its interests in
      space and denying "adversaries" access there for hostile purposes.

      The document - signed by President Bush - also says "freedom of action in
      space is as important to the United States as air power and sea power".

      The document rejects any proposals to ban space weapons.

      But the White House has said the policy does not call for the development or
      deployment of weapons in space.

      The United States will preserve its rights, capabilities, and freedom of action
      in space... and deny, if necessary, adversaries the use of space capabilities
      hostile to US national interests

      However, some military experts warn that by refusing to enter into
      negotiations on space weaponry, the US is likely to fuel international
      suspicions that it will develop such weapons.

      The 10-page strategic document states that the US national security "is
      critically dependent upon space capabilities, and this dependence will grow".

      "The United States will preserve its rights, capabilities, and freedom of action
      in space... and deny, if necessary, adversaries the use of space capabilities
      hostile to US national interests," it says.

      Satellite fears

      The document also sets out US commercial ambitions, saying it is committed
      to encouraging and facilitating a growing entrepreneurial space sector.

      The Bush administration says there is no shift in its policy

      It is the first revision in US space policy for 10 years, and it is a forthright one,
      the BBC's Nick Miles in Washington says.

      It addresses concerns voiced in a 2001 Pentagon report that said
      technological advances would enable potential enemies to disrupt orbiting
      US satellites, our correspondent says.

      Unclassified details of the policy published on the internet say space
      capabilities, including spy and other communication satellites, are essential
      for national security.

      But the White House said the policy was not a prelude to putting weapons in
      orbit and that there was no shift in US policy.

      "The notion that you would do defence from space is different from that of
      weaponisation of space. We're comfortable with the policy", White House
      spokesman Tony Snow said.

      President Bush authorised the policy in August but it was not released until
      October.

      During the Cold War, President Ronald Reagan proposed a defence shield
      using laser or particle beam technology to "intercept and destroy" incoming
      nuclear missiles.

      The Strategic Defence Initiative, or "Star Wars" programme as it came to be
      known, was abandoned in 1993.