The mystery of evil

  • carol
    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 17, 2006
      Mark Willan wrote:

      Hi

      I am sorry if I am posting early, but if I do not, I will have to
      get up in the middle of the night here in Singapore to post.

      The question of evil is to my mind NOT one of definition (we all
      really know what it is - but if we need a definition try RS's a good
      out of place, or even the abuse of the I). To pretend otherwise
      means we are either moral imbeciles (which materialism is breeding
      right now), or not being honest with ourselves (and thus with others
      even less).

      The question of evil is a functional one to my mind. How to turn
      evil into good.

      Observe harm done to living things. If life is strong enough
      scarring occurs, or something like it, and life continues (altered -
      but it continues).

      The same process should apply to us, as agents using Spiritual
      Science to heal the evil in us and round us.

      Ourselves first. This has to be the golden rule of ethics. We clean
      up our own act, using atonement, reparation, contrition, and
      learning the lessons from our errors.

      If we get it right, by learning from the errors we have made
      ourselves, we can help those round us who have made (or are about to
      make) the same errors. How did the great initiates of the past fail
      to be conned? By being conned, then understanding the con, and
      moving on.

      We, as disciples of Spiritual Science have a role and a
      responsibility. Our sleeping brothers are just that - asleep. hence
      they cannot defend themselves.

      We can defend them, by conscious self-sacrifice, bearing whatever
      pain is involved as our individual free gift to the spiritual world.

      We learn to act freely through the 2nd of the 5 subsidiary exercises
      given us by RS.

      In this manner, we can actually make a real difference - if we can
      just be aware that in doing so, we re helping the Etheric Christs'
      present working.

      We cannot (for the moment) presume to deal with all the scarring of
      deeper evils, such a death from terrorist action, but we can help,
      by meditating on the dead using RS's texts (see Unsere Toten), or
      simply by prayer or other simple exercises.

      It lies beyond our current human power to find the karmic note that
      can harmonize the discord brought about by the adversaries of man
      (mainly Ausras, but Ahriman is none too innocent, and there is still
      the infernal aspect of Lucifer to be redeemed in the future by
      mankind). For that we can only rely on the new role of the etheric
      Christ, Lord of Karma.

      What we can all do, now, each day, is take up our fair share of the
      burden, by inward working, to compensate in each situation for the
      evil that happens around us.

      Here too, the memory review exercise by RS is key - we can learn
      ethics not from any outside code, but from actually observing our
      life, our role in it, and what happens around us. and in so doing,
      learn to act out of love, to heal, to renew, to give hope. and to
      point our bretheren towards real solutions that help them too in
      their dilemmas, with their own issues.

      We can help spread the load as we learn, share the burden as we
      grow, and as we do, take on more and more, and heal and help more
      and more.

      And every time we fail, as we inevitably will, we are not to beat up
      on ourselves, nor wallow in guilt, but rest awhile, and start over.
      The war for evil continues without us ever becoming lost to the
      cause of good.

      Every hour of every day.

      Hope springs eternal - for even the worst tearing can be healed anew
      in time.

      Blessings

      Mark Willan

      I responded with the following:

      Though your letter carries MUCH truth, you must also acknowledge
      that one truth can easily become a weak one, when one descends more
      deeply into revealing it (using spiritual investigation).

      For example, you said : It lies beyond our current human power to
      find the karmic note that can harmonize the discord brought about by
      the adversaries of man (mainly Ausras, but Ahriman is none too
      innocent, and there is still the infernal aspect of Lucifer to be
      redeemed in the future by mankind). For that we can only rely on the
      new role of the etheric Christ, Lord of Karma

      (I ask the following questions with outmost delicateness) Are you in
      this instance associating `human power' to our collective `clear day
      consciousness'? Or perhaps, have you set a limit on `spiritual'
      experience?

      It is within my experience firstly that the spiritual mystery
      which has really begun to overtake our humanity, here and beyond,
      should be labeled from the perspective of the `good'. (re I don't
      like the suggested post title of the mystery of evil).

      Also, I believe that our ` human power' as you called it is (in a
      general sense) most venerable to Spirit, as is all that is otherwise
      manifest. And since Spirit, or the Divine embodies inconceivable
      Powers and Wisdom, then I believe that we as incarnated souls,
      must first make ourselves ready to assume our part in the (sublime)
      plans which are wrought for us via the Heavens. And in this case,
      most likely facilitating the entry and maturation of a wide
      spread `soul consciousness' for ourselves and our brethren.

      Did not R S do just that? But then again, there must
      be `fascinating' human power exerted when individual souls collect
      and act under varying ethical/spirital `banners', whether they are
      conscious of what they are doing and of the end results.

      I think it's more the `overview' of the effects of all soul activity
      which is channeled towards overcoming the Will of the spiritual
      beings of Evil, which is beyond our `current human powers'. To put
      it simply, I think that it will be so much easier to view and
      understand the big picture, as well as the smaller details when
      we `regain' the heavens and look downÂ…

      Also, in reference to our `human power', I don't think that it's
      possible to define limits on what our `Individual Spiritual Being'
      (our personal Angel) can reveal to us, not to mention as well, other
      sources of `loving' inspiration which are reserved for
      the `spiritually' matured soulÂ…

      Blessings to you as well, Carol.
    • Steve Hale
      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 21, 2006
        Stephen, I have added three iterative aspects that correspond to the
        Body, Soul and Spirit components. Shown below, they represent the
        progressive work of the newly unfolding conscious ego in achieving
        the higher members of spirit as the further transformations of soul
        that occurred when the ego of man was still unconscious. As such,
        they represent the dissemination of the cosmic intelligence to man
        in a manner that accords and pleases God in the same way that Abel's
        gifts were favored over Cain's.

        Steve

        --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Stephen <celestial_vision@...>
        wrote:

        > > [page 20] 17. Man is a being who unfolds his life in the midst,
        > > between two regions of the world. With his bodily development he
        is a
        > > member of a 'lower world'; with his soul-nature he himself
        constitutes
        > > a 'middle world'; and with his faculties of Spirit he is ever
        striving
        > > towards an 'upper world.' He owes his bodily development to all
        that
        > > Nature has given him; he bears the being of his soul within him
        as his
        > > own portion; and he discovers in himself the forces of the
        Spirit, as
        > > the gifts that lead him out beyond himself to participate in a
        Divine