RE: [anthroposophy] more on Gordienko, Bondarev

  • Daniel Hindes
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2006
      So Willy Lochman, Bondraev's publisher, assumes responsibility for
      expurgating the Holocaust-denial statements from the German edition of
      Bondarev's book. No explanation is given about why he felt it necessary,
      although the general unpopularity of the position, combined with possible
      legal liability, is probably the reason. Now I don't know what is more
      interesting, the fact that he kept them out of print, or that he would
      privately state that he agrees with them. This whole, "we're not getting the
      whole story about the Holocaust" combined with "I resent Jews making such a
      big deal about it" is downright antisemitic. Citing English-speaking
      Holocaust deniers and "The New World Order" does nothing to mitigate the
      antisemitism. Such antisemitism is rampant in Russia today, so I can excuse
      it as cultural heritage in Bondarev's case, but Willy Lochman has no such
      excuse.

      Citing 20% of Steiner's output (volumes 160-220 of the complete works) as
      supporting the position is feeble. Steiner did indeed talk of "historical
      symptomology" and looking beyond the surface of events. And he attempted to
      do this frequently in said volumes. But please don't claim that anyone who
      has read 60 Steiner books is suddenly qualified to judge whether or not the
      Holocaust occurred. A far better method would be to check out some of the
      several archives (the Nazi's kept detailed records) or any of the relevant
      books on the subject. You can't just wrap yourself in the cloak of mysticism
      and spout of nonsense and expect the world to bow down to your superior
      insight. Stupid statements like "no one who has not read the above Steiner
      books is qualified to form a judgment of Bondarev's book" and "those who
      have read the above books and still disagree with us haven't understood
      them" show a real open-mindedness on the subject.

      Lochman shows quite a persecution complex. He considers the death of Irina
      Gordienko shortly after the completion of her anti-Prokofieff book as a
      possible contract killing (ordered by Prokofieff, or merely a supporter?).
      Welcome to the high-stakes world of anthroposophical debate. The delayed,
      but generally negative reception of Bondraev's book is interpreted as an
      orchestrated campaign to silence him, rather than an honest reaction to a
      misguided text.

      As to Bondraev, the one who knows more and better than everyone else, is it
      any wonder that he is not popular in Dornach. Besides denying the Holocaust,
      he has called everyone there a sellout, and accused them of failing to
      maintain Steiner's legacy (presumably because they don’t do things the way
      he would). These types of statements illustrate the most important point in
      considering Bondarev's work: the tone. Here is an idealist profoundly upset
      with the modern world. His work is in every sense of the word reactionary.
      And as such, he shares not just opinions, but also attitudes, with a whole
      host of other reactionary fundamentalists. The whole world has gone wrong.
      Traditional values are not being upheld. God will punish us for this. Etc.
      You can read the section on homosexuals that Robert Mason so kindly put up
      on the internet (http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Sparta/1105/GoodEvil.htm).
      For a self-professed "Christian Initiate" there is very little of Christ's
      love or compassion. In fact the whole thing is rather Old Testament.

      And that is just one of the many things that don't add up. Another example:
      I have a hard time understanding how skydiving is part of a satanic
      initiation (supposedly free-fall separates the physical from the etheric
      bodies; however, if that is the goal, there are plenty of illegal drugs that
      will accomplish this much more effectively, and they are far more widely
      used).

      In the end I find Bondarev's work interesting, but I don't agree with a lot
      of his conclusions. And I find the tone quite off-putting. Apparently I'm
      not alone; most anthroposophists who have reviewed the book come to similar
      conclusions. To Willy Lochman, that means I am part of an anthro-conspiracy
      to keep the wisdom of Bondarev from other anthroposophists (by speaking
      negatively about it). Indeed, I am part of an anthro-Gestapo which is now
      hounding the saint, now that the actual KGB has stopped (his actual words
      below). What can I say? I'm sorry you see it that way, but I'll make up my
      own mind, thank you. I don't "follow" Steiner, and I certainly won't
      "follow" Bondarev just because he thinks he knows more than I do.

      Daniel Hindes