Re: [anthroposophy] Fwd: Science of Goethean Conversation

  • Mark Moodie
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21, 2006
      Hi Joel

      I have no experience of Carl Flygt but what you wrote reminded me of a
      saying - the fish is the last one to discover water . Just in case this
      doesn't speak for itself I take it to mean that the very estrangement from a
      milieu may give one a (useful and) unique view.

      Mark

      On 21/4/06 9:10 pm, "Joel Wendt" wrote:

      > I wonder how, given his clear inability to have empathy with
      > others, he could actually write a true account of the nature of
      > conversation as a moral process of human interaction, since he had no
      > familiarity with such an experience.
    • Joel Wendt
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 22, 2006
        Dear Mark,

        One of the critical matters with which that last century
        transitioned into the current one, was the publication of Irina
        Gordienko's book: Sergie. O. Prokofieff: Myth and Reality. The main
        theme of that work was whether Anthroposophy was science, and if so what
        that meant. After establishing those parameters, which included the
        necessity to think critically about work published within the
        anthroposophical sphere of culture, she preceded to dismantle
        Prokofieff's work as lacking a connection to the consciousness soul, and
        Steiner's epistemologies. She also established that his work was full
        of logical inconsistencies, some no more separated than by a single
        paragraph. And what she considered the greatest flaw was Prokofieff
        teaching of material clearly inconsistent with Steiner's work, while all
        the while nobody noticed because critical thinking was absent in the
        movement and many people mistake spirituality for being "nice".

        An over arching implication was that Prokofieff's work was
        "luciferic" - a danger not far from the current state of the Russian Soul

        In America, the doubles take us mostly in a "ahrimanic" direction -
        all intellect and will and no heart.

        Gordienko also discussed her view that we do each other no "good" by
        ignoring such tendencies, which is why I spoke of these matters with
        Prokofieff at Ann Arbor last summer for about 20 minutes.

        I would be just as frank with Carl.

        warm regards,
        joel

        Mark Moodie wrote:

        >Hi Joel
        >
        >I have no experience of Carl Flygt but what you wrote reminded me of a
        >saying - the fish is the last one to discover water . Just in case this
        >doesn't speak for itself I take it to mean that the very estrangement from a
        >milieu may give one a (useful and) unique view.
        >
        >Mark
        >
        >On 21/4/06 9:10 pm, "Joel Wendt" wrote:
        >

        >>I wonder how, given his clear inability to have empathy with
        >>others, he could actually write a true account of the nature of
        >>conversation as a moral process of human interaction, since he had no
        >>familiarity with such an experience.
        >>

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • tmasthenes13
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 24, 2006
          Joel,

          It was quite a synchronicity for me to read your evaluation of Carl
          and his book and then discover that another book being published by
          Lindisfarne Press alongside of Carl's would, by its title alone, be
          a better response to your post than anything I could have written
          myself.

          Far be it from me to presume to judge that you might need your own
          creativity enhanced in this specific area, but I do intend to read
          both books, as we all are in need of improvement in this phase of the
          Consciousness Soul Age.

          Also, the word "rescue" appears in the subtitle and since you
          demonstrate such a strong penchant for rescuing--- people, souls,
          cultures, civilizations, etc., --- I thought you might find a new
          outlet for that energy. ;=}

          Tom

          _____________________________________

          This link goes right to the book

          http://www.lindisfarne.org/detail.html?
          session=797306b013e0be880df6babdd9b89dea&cat=17&id=1888602309

          Creative Envy

          The Rescue of One of Civilization's Major Forces

          Carlos Amadeu Botelho Byington, M.D.

          Chiron Publications

          March 2004

          Based on Jungian symbolic psychology, this book attributes an
          archetypal foundation to the ego defense mechanisms of psychoanalysis
          and describes the possibility that all psychological functions are
          creative or defensive. Analyzing Peter Shaffer's play Amadeus,
          Byington describes envy as functioning creatively and defensively in
          the relationship between Mozart and Salieri.

          He demonstrates how psychoanalysis followed the biblical book of
          Genesis and the Christian doctrine of original sin
          and "scientifically" stigmatized envy. He asserts that this bias
          originated in severe cultural pathology, which greatly distorted the
          Christian myth by repressing creative envy because of its
          extraordinary revolutionary potential for individual and cultural
          development.

          --- Carlos Amadeu Botelho Byington, M.D.---

          is a psychiatrist and Jungian analyst, graduated at the C.G. Jung
          Institute in Zürich and founding member of the Brazilian Society for
          Analytical Psychology. He is the author of numerous books, including
          Jungian Symbolic Education; The Development of Personality; Structure
          of Personality: Persona and Shadow; Symbolic Dimensions of
          Personality, as well as many articles.
          ---------------------------------------

          Joel Wendt wrote:

          > Dear Tom,
          >
          > I knew Carl Flygt several years ago. We were both in the same
          > anthroposophical study group. He would write papers and present
          them to
          > the group on the themes we were discussing. He would also insist,
          with
          > an amazing stubbornness, on the correctness of his views and the
          errors
          > of thought of the rest of us. He was perhaps, the most amazingly
          > socially inept genius I have ever met.
          >
          > He could not use ordinary language, sustain a conversation with
          > others that mirrored their views, or participate in the circle of
          > conversation in a way in which the themes presented were slowly
          woven
          > into a chalice through which higher worlds could speak.
          >
          > He is the only person I know who was ever kicked out of an
          > anthroposophical study group for anti-social behavior (which is
          what
          > happened while I was there).
          >
          > I don't doubt for a moment that his writings are remarkable,
          even
          > brilliant. I wonder how, given his clear inability to have empathy
          with
          > others, he could actually write a true account of the nature of
          > conversation as a moral process of human interaction, since he had
          no
          > familiarity with such an experience.
          >
          > Nevertheless, it is entirely possible that he has, in a very
          > abstract way, woven together a set of concepts that appears to
          reach
          > into the frontiers of integrating research uniting various theories
          of
          > language and consciousness. However, I just wonder whether it has
          much
          > that is human in it.

        • Joel Wendt
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 24, 2006
            Dear Tom,

            It is always fun to read your "humorous analysis" of someone you
            hardly know (me). And, to read you relate it to a book you've never
            read, all in the course of a dialog about Carl, who you have also never
            met (I believe).

            Fictions (analysis of me) compared to fictions (ideas about a book
            you've never read), all in relation to a fictional personality (someone
            else you never met). Don't know how much truth you get there, but to
            each his own, I guess. Maybe that's what it takes to be humorous.

            I am glad you are going to read a book, even two. Now if you would
            just read one of mine, or better yet, read me as a person. Then maybe
            your humorous analysis would not be so "fictional".

            By the way, where are you living these days? I think you said where
            in another context, but I seem to have forgotten.

            love,
            joel