Re: [anthroposophy] Fwd: Science of Goethean Conversation

  • Joel Wendt
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21, 2006
      TomBuoyed@... wrote: stuff informing us about Carl's new book.

      Dear Tom,

      I knew Carl Flygt several years ago. We were both in the same
      anthroposophical study group. He would write papers and present them to
      the group on the themes we were discussing. He would also insist, with
      an amazing stubbornness, on the correctness of his views and the errors
      of thought of the rest of us. He was perhaps, the most amazingly
      socially inept genius I have ever met.

      He could not use ordinary language, sustain a conversation with
      others that mirrored their views, or participate in the circle of
      conversation in a way in which the themes presented were slowly woven
      into a chalice through which higher worlds could speak.

      He is the only person I know who was ever kicked out of an
      anthroposophical study group for anti-social behavior (which is what
      happened while I was there).

      I don't doubt for a moment that his writings are remarkable, even
      brilliant. I wonder how, given his clear inability to have empathy with
      others, he could actually write a true account of the nature of
      conversation as a moral process of human interaction, since he had no
      familiarity with such an experience.

      Nevertheless, it is entirely possible that he has, in a very
      abstract way, woven together a set of concepts that appears to reach
      into the frontiers of integrating research uniting various theories of
      language and consciousness. However, I just wonder whether it has much
      that is human in it.

      Here is a paragraph from the end of a short essay of his, entitled:
      The Mathematics of Freedom:

      "On my theory, real conversation depends on everyone involved being
      self-conscious and free, and in one way or another intimate with his
      (her) Holy Guardian Angel. If we were to establish a protocol for
      sustaining self-conscious speech actions, for stipulating conditions
      under which universal moral law applies to every gesture of the brain
      and body and simultaneously make measurements or other objective
      assessments that establish how the brain is performing self-conscious
      actions, then we would be in a position, in principle, to measure human
      freedom and to apply that measure broadly to educational and social
      situations. That measure would be sufficient, moreover, if it were
      applied correctly and in the right institutional context, to transform
      global culture into a world much like the dreams of our fondest desires."

      Imagine then a cold and calculating intellect, unfamiliar inwardly
      with the real nature of thinking, or of the moral impulses of the heart
      as directed toward other human beings, devising a "theory" out of which
      we could "measure" human freedom. Does this describe anyone we are
      expecting to come visit us, or perhaps one of His friends?

      Food for thought...

      warm regards,
      joel
    • Mark Moodie
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 21, 2006
        Hi Joel

        I have no experience of Carl Flygt but what you wrote reminded me of a
        saying - the fish is the last one to discover water . Just in case this
        doesn't speak for itself I take it to mean that the very estrangement from a
        milieu may give one a (useful and) unique view.

        Mark

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 22, 2006
          Dear Mark,

          One of the critical matters with which that last century
          transitioned into the current one, was the publication of Irina
          Gordienko's book: Sergie. O. Prokofieff: Myth and Reality. The main
          theme of that work was whether Anthroposophy was science, and if so what
          that meant. After establishing those parameters, which included the
          necessity to think critically about work published within the
          anthroposophical sphere of culture, she preceded to dismantle
          Prokofieff's work as lacking a connection to the consciousness soul, and
          Steiner's epistemologies. She also established that his work was full
          of logical inconsistencies, some no more separated than by a single
          paragraph. And what she considered the greatest flaw was Prokofieff
          teaching of material clearly inconsistent with Steiner's work, while all
          the while nobody noticed because critical thinking was absent in the
          movement and many people mistake spirituality for being "nice".

          An over arching implication was that Prokofieff's work was
          "luciferic" - a danger not far from the current state of the Russian Soul

          In America, the doubles take us mostly in a "ahrimanic" direction -
          all intellect and will and no heart.

          Gordienko also discussed her view that we do each other no "good" by
          ignoring such tendencies, which is why I spoke of these matters with
          Prokofieff at Ann Arbor last summer for about 20 minutes.

          I would be just as frank with Carl.

          warm regards,
          joel

          Mark Moodie wrote:

          >Hi Joel
          >
          >I have no experience of Carl Flygt but what you wrote reminded me of a
          >saying - the fish is the last one to discover water . Just in case this
          >doesn't speak for itself I take it to mean that the very estrangement from a
          >milieu may give one a (useful and) unique view.
          >
          >Mark
          >
          >On 21/4/06 9:10 pm, "Joel Wendt" wrote:
          >

          >>I wonder how, given his clear inability to have empathy with
          >>others, he could actually write a true account of the nature of
          >>conversation as a moral process of human interaction, since he had no
          >>familiarity with such an experience.
          >>

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • tmasthenes13
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 24, 2006
            Joel,

            It was quite a synchronicity for me to read your evaluation of Carl
            and his book and then discover that another book being published by
            Lindisfarne Press alongside of Carl's would, by its title alone, be
            a better response to your post than anything I could have written
            myself.

            Far be it from me to presume to judge that you might need your own
            creativity enhanced in this specific area, but I do intend to read
            both books, as we all are in need of improvement in this phase of the
            Consciousness Soul Age.

            Also, the word "rescue" appears in the subtitle and since you
            demonstrate such a strong penchant for rescuing--- people, souls,
            cultures, civilizations, etc., --- I thought you might find a new
            outlet for that energy. ;=}

            Tom

            _____________________________________

            This link goes right to the book

            http://www.lindisfarne.org/detail.html?
            session=797306b013e0be880df6babdd9b89dea&cat=17&id=1888602309

            Creative Envy

            The Rescue of One of Civilization's Major Forces

            Carlos Amadeu Botelho Byington, M.D.

            Chiron Publications

            March 2004

            Based on Jungian symbolic psychology, this book attributes an
            archetypal foundation to the ego defense mechanisms of psychoanalysis
            and describes the possibility that all psychological functions are
            creative or defensive. Analyzing Peter Shaffer's play Amadeus,
            Byington describes envy as functioning creatively and defensively in
            the relationship between Mozart and Salieri.

            He demonstrates how psychoanalysis followed the biblical book of
            Genesis and the Christian doctrine of original sin
            and "scientifically" stigmatized envy. He asserts that this bias
            originated in severe cultural pathology, which greatly distorted the
            Christian myth by repressing creative envy because of its
            extraordinary revolutionary potential for individual and cultural
            development.

            --- Carlos Amadeu Botelho Byington, M.D.---

            is a psychiatrist and Jungian analyst, graduated at the C.G. Jung
            Institute in Zürich and founding member of the Brazilian Society for
            Analytical Psychology. He is the author of numerous books, including
            Jungian Symbolic Education; The Development of Personality; Structure
            of Personality: Persona and Shadow; Symbolic Dimensions of
            Personality, as well as many articles.
            ---------------------------------------

            Joel Wendt wrote:

            > Dear Tom,
            >
            > I knew Carl Flygt several years ago. We were both in the same
            > anthroposophical study group. He would write papers and present
            them to
            > the group on the themes we were discussing. He would also insist,
            with
            > an amazing stubbornness, on the correctness of his views and the
            errors
            > of thought of the rest of us. He was perhaps, the most amazingly
            > socially inept genius I have ever met.
            >
            > He could not use ordinary language, sustain a conversation with
            > others that mirrored their views, or participate in the circle of
            > conversation in a way in which the themes presented were slowly
            woven
            > into a chalice through which higher worlds could speak.
            >
            > He is the only person I know who was ever kicked out of an
            > anthroposophical study group for anti-social behavior (which is
            what
            > happened while I was there).
            >
            > I don't doubt for a moment that his writings are remarkable,
            even
            > brilliant. I wonder how, given his clear inability to have empathy
            with
            > others, he could actually write a true account of the nature of
            > conversation as a moral process of human interaction, since he had
            no
            > familiarity with such an experience.
            >
            > Nevertheless, it is entirely possible that he has, in a very
            > abstract way, woven together a set of concepts that appears to
            reach
            > into the frontiers of integrating research uniting various theories
            of
            > language and consciousness. However, I just wonder whether it has
            much
            > that is human in it.

          • Joel Wendt
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 24, 2006
              Dear Tom,

              It is always fun to read your "humorous analysis" of someone you
              hardly know (me). And, to read you relate it to a book you've never
              read, all in the course of a dialog about Carl, who you have also never
              met (I believe).

              Fictions (analysis of me) compared to fictions (ideas about a book
              you've never read), all in relation to a fictional personality (someone
              else you never met). Don't know how much truth you get there, but to
              each his own, I guess. Maybe that's what it takes to be humorous.

              I am glad you are going to read a book, even two. Now if you would
              just read one of mine, or better yet, read me as a person. Then maybe
              your humorous analysis would not be so "fictional".

              By the way, where are you living these days? I think you said where
              in another context, but I seem to have forgotten.

              love,
              joel