Judas Tonight

  • tmasthenes13
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 13 12:04 PM
      Today is Holy Thursday, called Maundy Thursday in the Catholic
      tradition --- Maundy from the Latin word for "commandment," as in the
      Last Supper statement: "This commandment I give to you: love one
      another as I have loved you."

      It is also the night of Judas' betrayal and tonight on your local
      National Geographic cable channel, you can watch their Gospel of
      Judas program, a 2-hour special, since they financed the translation
      and release of the document. Check here:
      http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/

      In the light – or is it darkness? – (hard to tell the difference when
      you're clinging to a "death-raft" bobbing in the Neo-Manichaean
      stream) -- of these new discoveries, Gnostic revelations, and the
      focus on da Vinci's painting of the Last Supper --- the central icon
      of the da Vinci Code movie coming out -- I'd like to post my sonnet
      from 1987 about Judas and Jesus, called "Gethsemane Necessity."

      (Don't forget Rudolf Steiner's indications that Judas Iscariot
      reincarnated as St. Augustine, and then Leonardo da Vinci.)

      Fr. Thomasius

      GETHSEMANE NECESSITY

      When Jesus Christ was in Gethsemane,

      awaiting love's most fateful human kiss,

      He wondered if a greater enemy

      would tempt him into everlasting bliss.

      The scorpions of every desert rock

      began to dance with claustrophobic grace.

      Forlorn, a sheep had wandered from its flock.

      Its shepherd disappeared without a trace.

      The moment of the emptiness of time

      approached, and spread its bat-like wings

      across the earth, to celebrate the crime.

      In secret, Judas loved this King of Kings.

      Without a word, the Old gave way to New.

      Without the false, the Word could not be true.

      from "Post-Existential Sonnets," (Folio I)
      by Tom Mellett © 1987
    • Lee A.