Re: [anthroposophy] top-down Path

  • Joel Wendt
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2006
      What Robert wrote on PoF is basically accurate, as far as it goes. The
      problem comes when people who don't practice this book try to write
      about it - the lack of practice creates a fundamental ignorance that
      makes what they do say miss the mark sometimes in rather tragic
      fashion. I've added some material to make the below more in line with
      the truth.

      warm regards,
      joel

      Robert Mason wrote:

      >*PoF* is generally considered to be Steiner's
      >basic philosophical-epistemological work.
      >(Though his other "basics" certainly contain
      >philosophy and epistemology that is hardly even
      >hinted-at in *PoF*.)

      This parenthetical expression (Though his other "basics" certainly
      contain philosophy and epistemology that is hardly even hinted-at in
      *PoF*.) makes no sense. I'd like to see Robert give some examples of
      "philosophy and epistemology" not contained in PoF, but only expressed
      elsewhere.

      >This book in itself was a
      >world-historical event, marking a crucial
      >turning-point in the whole evolution of human
      >consciousness. It is written in the context of
      >19th-Century Teutonic academic philosophy and
      >contains nothing overtly "esoteric". It was
      >written years before RS stepped forward as a
      >public teacher of occultism, apparently even
      >before he made the decision to "go public".
      >(However, he did revise it thoroughly

      I'm not sure by what Robert means by "thoroughly" here. He gives the
      impression that later versions of PoF are in some ways substantially
      different from earlier versions. Again, I'd like to see the evidence of
      this.

      >later in
      >his career.) He did make a remark to the
      >effect that all of Anthroposophy is contained
      >in *PoF*, though IMO he was likely being
      >deliberately provocative: the Anthroposophy is
      >very deeply hidden indeed.

      On the contrary, here we get to the nub of the whole matter, for PoF is
      "Anthroposophy" in whole. Start with the First Leading Thought:
      "Anthroposophy is a path of cognition from the spiritual in man to the
      Spiritual in the Universe." Here is where the the Movement went badly
      awry, for most everyone began to assume that Anthroposophy was a content
      (the lectures and books) and not a method. Anthroposophy is a Path of
      Cognition, the Way of the New Clair-thinking, which Steiner discovered
      and pioneered. It is how we go about finding our way to intercourse
      with the Spiritual World (from the spirit in man to the Spirit in the
      Universe). The method (Anthroposophy) produces the content
      (anthroposophical Spiritual Science). That is why we get this
      construction - "anthroposophical" as a modifyer of the term Spiritual
      Science.

      People who study the content acquire understanding. People who learn to
      practice the introspection modeled on the methods of natural science
      (PoF), learn how to produce knowledge "content" out of themselves.

      > -- In the same vein
      >is *Truth and Knowledge*, a slight expansion of
      >Steiner's PhD thesis. This is a close
      >companion to *PoF*; here the epistemology is
      >even more basic and concentrated, though there
      >is perhaps even more "academic" context. (Also
      >somewhat in the same vein is an earlier work,
      >*A Theory of Knowledge Implicit in Goethe's
      >World View*. However, I wouldn't recommend
      >this book for beginners, since it does present
      >problems of exegesis.

      This seems to me to be total b.s. on Roberts part. I don't think he
      knows anything at all (except from the outside) about A Theory of
      Knowledge Implicit in Goethe's World View. Here is my essay on this
      quite important book: "The least read, most important book, Steiner ever
      wrote"
      http://ipwebdev.com/hermit/lrsew.html

      >RS never revised it
      >fully; toward the end of his life he added some
      >remarks, including the warning that if he were
      >writing the book in his maturity he would say
      >many things differently. But he did say that
      >his views on the essential nature of knowledge
      >had not changed; thus the reader must puzzle
      >out exactly what is "essential" and what might
      >be said differently, even how the mature RS
      >would have said it. This is a heavy load for
      >any reader, but especially for a beginner.) --

      Here we get the tragic misdeed of so many - the warning (Fear This!) as
      in "heavy load". Robert, not having traveled here, doesn't really know
      how much work it really is, only that he did want to take it up. So his
      weakness becomes given to us as something to fear. And who in us
      encourages fear, and enjoins us to spread our fears (as in the Beware
      messages on this list)? The ahrimanic double.

      >A very concise exposition of these themes can
      >be found in the last chapter of mature
      >Steiner's book *The Riddles of Philosophy*. In
      >this chapter he explains the quantum leap from
      >philosophy to Anthroposophy, and in the process
      >describes how thinking "condenses" experience
      >as it grows into the higher stages of
      >cognition. This chapter will repay close
      >reading and re-reading.

    • Joel Wendt
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2006
        For those of you who might have known him, I have just heard that Harvey
        Bornfield (Earlyfire) died this last Sunday. His is a remarkable
        spirit, and I expect we can call upon him even now and on into the
        future, in meditation and in the realm of night work and sleep.

        Blessings to you Harvey, you will be missed

        joel
      • Lee A.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 10, 2006
          Does anyone have photo of Harvey that can put into the archives? Perhaps an email to his surviving relatives will stimulate this. It will make it easier to contact him.

          Lee

          Joel Wendt <hermit@...> wrote:
          For those of you who might have known him, I have just heard that Harvey
          Bornfield (Earlyfire) died this last Sunday.  His is a remarkable
          spirit, and I expect we can call upon him even now and on into the
          future, in meditation and in the realm of night work and sleep.

          Blessings to you Harvey, you will be missed

          joel

          Yahoo! Photos

        • golden3000997@cs.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 10, 2006
            What happened???? Does anyone have any more information!

            I am in shock!
            Christine
          • Joel Wendt
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 10, 2006
              all I know is that he had a heart attack.

              j.