Re: [anthroposophy] Re: Beware of...

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 7, 2006
      All,
      I am new to Anthroposophy and have been enjoying the posts. It is only
      natural that someone new, like me, might attempt to contact someone on
      the list who appears knowledgeable for advice. I have been involved in a
      few other lists and meet both good and bad people, so I have some
      experience. If you look at Steiner's writings alone, it is a daunting
      task to decide where to start. A few weeks back, I was reading the posts
      of Joel and was somewhat impressed. He had me pretty convinced to start
      with epistemology, and the Philosophy of Spiritual Activity. I contacted
      him privately and told him I enjoyed his posts, he ignored that. I went
      to his website and starting reading ... there was knowledge and there
      was something else, something that was beginning to bother me. Then
      Emil's post and warning came out. I appreciate that. If someone has been
      around and has a history with all of this, and wants to lend some
      advice, then I think that is great. It is up to me how to take it.
      Hopefully that is the end of it. But then people like Terrence and some
      others feel the need to defend someone they don't even know, and attack
      those who have tried to warn new people like me, in my opinion they show
      themselves very badly this way, as it has made matters so much worse.
      Then Maurice posts a short comment, and I was disappointed as up to that
      point Maurice seemed to be very knowledgeable.
      Emil and Robert, thank you very much for the warning, I don't feel
      anything negative from it. I only feel like you were truly trying to
      help. I have worked with other people in the past who I at first thought
      seemed knowledgeable, only to waste time and be led down dead end paths.
      Joel, I don't know what to think. Please keep posting of your knowledge
      and do whatever it is you are trying to do on this list.
      Terrence, I don't know what to say to you, but something seems very wrong.
      Maurice, I will try to expect less from you and take what you have to
      offer.
      For what it is worth, I started with Theosophy, Steiner has a gift for
      explaining these things - body, soul, spirit - I have never heard these
      terms presented the way he uses them.
      - Stephen
    • Terence
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 8, 2006
        --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "emil_rio" <emil_rio@y...> wrote:

        > My posts stand; I do not take them back or regret them. And may they
        > help beginners - along the difficult path of Anthroposophy - to be very
        > discerning.

        So mote it be!

        Terence
      • Joel Wendt
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 9, 2006
          Dear List-mates,

          Leaving aside that Emil and Robert don't want to stand behind what they
          write here, lets confront a lingering question implied somewhat in
          Robert's last post, where he admits he doesn't know much and then goes
          on to create his own form of the general confusion in the
          Anthroposophical Movement...

          First, please lets be honest about the last 100 years of
          anthroposophical activity...people are going to have gotten a lot of
          stuff just wrong. Not because they didn't try, but because we are
          human, and make errors, and once Steiner died the best corrective for
          our errors changed his field of operations. If you wanted Steiner's
          help, it wasn't going to be found in his books, but in the inner forum
          of ones own soul, but people went to his books - to the past of dead
          thought and not to the living thought available to our own thinking
          activity...

          Robert seems to confuse the path of PoF with Knowledge of Higher Worlds,
          as if these were the same thing, which they are not. Don't have to
          believe me, by the way, you can read Lowndes' Enliveninig the Chakra of
          the Heart, wherein in the last two chapters the difference between these
          two paths and the significance of this difference is carefully introduced...

          Now we are starting a second hundred years of anthroposophical activity
          (this is quite significant, because Christ works Century to Century in
          33 year rhythms (see Ben-Aharon's The Spiritual Event of the Twentieth
          Century). Our condition as a spiritual movement is fraught with
          dangers. The cumulative failures of the 20th Century must be faced (if
          we don't, it becomes the same flaw that undoes a student of esotericism
          who refuses to look honestly at his own past).

          The archetype of these failures lives in the work of S.O. Prokofieff,
          who is a very nice man, very sincere, hard working, and something of an
          intellectual genius without a doubt. He is the perfect example of what
          happens if people don't make a connection to Steiner's early works on
          spiriual freedom, moral imagination and picture thinking. Let me lay
          out the general shape of the basic flaw that permiates almost all of
          anthroposophical work, including Prokofieff and even Robert's efforts on
          Ahriman ( http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Sparta/1105/ahriman.htm ).

          Rudolf Steiner's lectures are not much more than highly accurate maps of
          spiritual realities. Anyone who has had real spiritual experiences on
          the anthroposophical path knows this to be the case. The actual
          territory is so far outside what words can convey that it becomes
          obvious that the lectures produce a serious temptation to the soul.

          Steiner himself, in Occult Science an Outline, does not speak even of
          that book as providing knowledge to the reader, but only
          "understanding". This is so for most of what Steiner wrote and lectured
          about - our "understanding" is enriched, and this has positive
          consequences for the soul AS LONG AS we don't mistake "understanding"
          for "knowledge".

          Yet, this is precisely how the anthroposophical movement has come to
          treat the "understanding" that Steiner has given us, and we have then
          (by this fatal weakness) made of his work in our souls not anthroposophy
          but Steinerism. People who are believers in Steinerism, and haven't
          then followed the Path of Cognition laid out in the epistemologies, then
          don't "know" their own souls well enough to realize that this huge
          content of Steiner-thought they have consumed has become a kind of prison.

          The clue that this is the case is the enormous frequency of the phrase:
          "Steiner said".

          Thinking, which is seeking freedom, will want more to form its own
          conclusions about matters and will resist letting live in the soul too
          much Steiner-thought.

          The real arena of spiritual activity is within us. The true battle is
          fought there, not in the outer world of the senses.

          At the beginning of this new century no one should be surprised that
          within the anthroposophical movement itself a struggle is arising,
          between that which has actually followed Steiner's Path of Cognition,
          and those who couldn't quite get it, but now want to justify their own
          understandable weaknesses by attacking the truth.

          The clue here is the weaknesses of their approach. Emil and Robert
          can't actually stand here in this forum and speak to what they don't
          know. At best they can seek to tar and feather that which would make
          them face what hasn't been made into knowledge in their own souls, but
          which they would rather protect at whatever cost to others.

          There are consequences to our actions. As seekers of the spirit, the
          most significant actions in this regard are inwardly in the soul, not
          outwardly in the social world. We can only seek the spirit within, via
          the activity of the own spirit in the own soul. There lies the "narrow
          gate", and the endless quoting of Steiner can only obscure and make more
          difficult this essential work.

          So far (in the last century), the anthroposophical movement has been
          immature. Now it is time for it to grow up, a process certain to be
          painful.

          warm regards,
          joel
        • Terence
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 9, 2006
            In the not too distant past, I happened upon an
            interesting old chap by the name of Stanley
            Messenger, an octogenarian who has a special
            perspective to share. I would encourage a visit to
            his site. Copy and past everything between the
            < ... >

            <http://www.isleofavalon.co.uk/GlastonburyArchive/messenger/sm-lucifer.html>

            I would call particular attention to : *Claim Two.
            Here's another even more frequently heard
            statement. "Oh! I can't read The Philosophy of
            Freedom. That's far beyond me. I need to experience
            spirit in action in the world."*

            I am especailly fond of what Stanley writes near
            the end of his letter; *... Well, in the first place
            no-one approaching initiate knowledge for the first
            time will be denied human as well as super-sensible
            help and support, though, in the absence of the
            Society, it is more likely to be through the loving
            recognition of individuals than through formal
            study-groups with official auspices. But there is
            something more. We have a School of Spiritual
            Science. It was set up under the old dispensation,
            and it has remained incomplete. Anthroposophy
            didn't transform the mind-set of the pre-millennial
            western world, though it had a profound hidden
            effect upon it. Have you thought, as a member of
            that school, that it might be possible, in drawing
            a line under it, to graduate from that school?
            Perhaps no-one would get first-class honours. But
            have you thought that Rudolf Steiner, who with Ita
            Wegman, is now intensely occupied with his next
            world task, and longs to be released from the
            tragic karma of anthroposophy, might, if asked,
            happily give pass degrees to those who ask, and
            release both himself and the rest of us from what
            may otherwise become an esoteric blind-alley? There
            is so much love in the New World. We could all go
            on and join them*

            If we continue to quote Steiner and use
            Steinerism's rather than think for ourselves and
            express oursleves as best as we can, as Joel
            mentions in his recent post, are we not parts of a
            binding agent for the future of the soul-spirit of
            RS and the next phase of his work? And are we not
            also binding ourselves to the past history of
            Anthroposophy?

            Having read the parts, pieces and parcels of
            Spiritual Science extensively for years I am
            intimatley aware of the necessity to comprehend the
            significant difference between understanding and
            knowledge.

            May Stanley's message be of assistance to help you
            become unfettered from the yoke of understanding
            anthroposophy....especially if you are a Beginner.
            May as well start off on the right foot, eh?

            Terence
          • Terence
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 9, 2006
              --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Stephen <celestial_vision@c...> wrote:

              SNIP

              > Terrence, I don't know what to say to you, but something seems very wrong.

              Do not lose any sleep over this Stephen. Mind your
              own business, as what I wrote doesn't include you.

              Keep on reading, asking questions, meditating, pray
              and by all means stay inside your skin and look at
              you and your relationship with people you are in
              relationship with, and with the burgeoning relationship
              you are having with your soul. Anthroposophy is not
              about persons. We all have our shadow or
              doppleganger to contend with until we meet the
              Lower Guardian of the Threshold. When you get to
              that place in your soul-spirit growth you will
              recognize the truth that Anthroposophy is not about
              persons.

              Out of curiosity, if you willingto answer, what is
              Anthropsophy about to you?

              Terence