Re: Beware of...

  • emil_rio
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 7, 2006
      There are two definitions for "hoopla" in my dictionary. 1.) Boisterous
      or jovial commotion or excitement," and 2.) Talk intended to mislead or
      confuse."

      "Guile" is defined as "Insidious, treacherous cunning; deceit."

      "Hoopla" in no way defines these posts, Re: Beware of...; "Guile" is
      entirely inappropriate, by the above definition.

      My recommendation again is far less carelessness on these posts. A
      really good habit to develop would be to use the dictionary frequently.

      Inevitably, when wariness and discernment are called for (and in this
      case with good reason), someone will come back with the Bible
      quote: "...he who is without sin cast the first stone," etc.

      This is for the record: I am without guile, as is Robert M. And in
      regard to myself: no human being is without sin. Self-knowledge is
      sufficient for discernment in this case.

      What is bad about people on these lists (Maurice) are their quick,
      careless, at times even thoughtless postings.

      Time to review those 8 steps from "Knowledge of the Higher Worlds,"
      especially: think before speaking or writing. And a course in "Creative
      Writing" or "Writing" 101 is highly recommended. Or perhaps "Public
      Forum Postings" 101. The last could be approached selflessly, in the
      interests of Anthroposophy.
    • Joel Wendt
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 7, 2006
        Dear Robert,

        How about we do this...you and I talk, and you demonstrate that you
        have the courage to face me directly with your accusations, instead of
        just coming on a list and saying to everyone else "run away from joel".
        How about you treat me as a person, and speak directly to me.

        At the same time, if you actually do this, don't expect me to reply
        to long messages. Take small points and make them, and then listen to
        my responses - actually listen to my responses and respond back.

        There really is no point and repeating the past of huge essay-like
        posts, as if you were trying to make an argument in front of Congress.

        Speak to me, I'm real, I'm here, and be prepared to write about
        facts concerning which you have direct knowledge. Conclusions and
        claims are not only useless, they are baseless. Anyone can claim
        anything, just as anyone can write a long shotgun essay full of many
        assumptions and clever bits of inuendo.

        If your really consider this a serious matter, treat it with respect.

        In addition, lets clearly label this discussion in the subject line
        (as I did above), so that folks who have no interest can delete it or
        ignore it.

        warm regards,
        joel
      • BAle2391@aol.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 7, 2006
          Dear Robert and Joel:
              Steiner's philosophy, "Thinking itself becomes a body which draws into itself as its soul the Spirit of the Universe." "It means putting force, life into thinking, through thinking, within thinking." Could you share this Top down path as opposed to the old path, from the bottom up (kundalini). Help us students (neophytes, novices) with input, things that worked for you in this talking to each other. Thank you...
                                                                          Adios,
                                                                              Bart
        • Terence
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 7, 2006
            --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Robert Mason <robertsmason_99@y...> wrote:

            > I have already in my AT posts tried to explain
            > why I wrote and posted what you call my
            > "censure of Joel". (Tried, at considerable
            > length and in considerable detail, especially
            > in my long post to Stephen Clarke.) None of my
            > explanations depend upon an assumption or
            > premise that I am "guileless", or
            > guiltless. You may be of the opinion that my
            > explanations are somehow inadequate, but I see
            > no indication here that you have read and
            > seriously considered them. If you would cite
            > them and tell me exactly why you (presumably)
            > consider them to be inadequate, then maybe we
            > could proceed from there. But now, I don't see
            > any point in merely repeating essentially what
            > I have already written.

            FYI, I read your posts on A_T. Interesting. Still
            am wondering why you choose to be the champion and
            take it upon yourself to castigate Joel unless you
            are one of those rare humans who are guileless.

            > As I already said in my previous post here,
            > this matter belongs not just to the past but
            > also to the present. Joel still posts on his
            > website the "Perspective" essay; this brings
            > the whole "Maitreya" thing right into the
            > present: he is still saying it. More
            > importantly, he is still "doing it"'; he is
            > still acting from the same, sick mind-set --
            > acting upon other people.

            I honor that each person has the right to express
            themselves; however, your persistent attempts to
            characterize Joel, or any one for that matter, as
            having a sick mind-set, appears to be a chronic
            problem that borders on vindictiveness.

            > But he does claim (obliquely, deviously) to be
            > the New World-Teacher of Anthroposophy, and
            > (again) more importantly, he is acting upon
            > that mad presumption.

            So what! Suppose he is as mad as a hatter. Would
            this not be a lesson that he has to learn either
            during this incarnation or during excarnation?

            What if Joel is the New World-teacher of
            Anthroposophy? Do we not, as individuals, need to
            inwardly accept or reject that premise for
            ourselves? is that not our responsibility to read
            what he wrote and then after due diligence come to
            our own decision? Of course this is true.

            Your argument, as I recall, centers around
            protecting those folks who are less learned from
            Joel, is this not so?

            > I suppose I have beams enough, but so what?
            > That doesn't mean that I can't add two plus two
            > and come out somewhere between three and five.
            > And it doesn't mean that I have to swallow all
            > the BS that anyone might want to feed me.
            > Still less does it mean that I must stand idly
            > by while someone is feeding BS to other people.

            So what? Would that not indicate that with a beam
            in your eye that you might be unable to see clearly
            because of the beam?

            Of course you do not have to swallow the BS of
            others. If you did so, then the lessons that you
            will have to learn because of your swallowing is a
            lesson that you will have to learn in this
            incarnation, or in excarnation and the next
            incarnation. Life is an LE (learning experience).
            Learn now. Learn later. But we all will have to
            learn the lesson.

            Now when you get to the part of attempting to
            interfere in the lessons that others need to learn,
            that is a whole other matter. In my opinion, unless
            one is guileless, guiltless and a host of other
            words like: blameless, not to blame, without fault,
            above reproach, above suspicion, in the clear,
            unimpeachable, irreproachable, faultless, sinless,
            spotless, immaculate, unsullied, uncorrupted,
            undefiled, untainted, unblemished, untarnished,
            impeccable. then one has the necessary qualities of
            heart and head to intercede in the karma of others.
            You know, someone like Christ. Are you that kind of
            person, Robert?

            > I have not attended any 12-step meetings, but I
            > am aware of the doctrine. I have done some
            > "group work" of a less doctrinaire and more
            > intensive kind. And to a large extent, my
            > experiences in and around such groups have
            > educated me about the kinds of tricks that some
            > people (especially manipulative addicts) will
            > play, about the BS they will pitch, and about
            > the depths of the perversity that madness can
            > reach. I have learned to ask questions and to
            > be alert to evasions. I have learned:
            > that talk is cheap,
            > that actions speak louder than words,
            > that ye shall know them by their fruits,
            > and to keep my eye on the bottom line.

            Of course addicts and alcoholics in the early
            stages of recovery are manipulative and devious. I
            have been in recovery for 20 years and still met
            folks with long term sobriety who have not outgrown
            those character traits. Truth to be told, I met
            Anthroposophist, Theosophists, Christians, Muslims,
            Born Agains, etc, who are manipulative and devious.
            The Shadow knows no limits and has no favorites.

            You are writing about them, just as you write about
            Joel...with prejudice. How is it that you see so
            clearly? What stage of the evolutionary spiral do
            you find yourself posited upon that qualifies you
            to judge others?

            You say you have learned that talk is cheap. Is not
            writing about others also cheap? That actions speak
            louder than words. Why so many words written about
            Joel? By their fruits...where can we find the
            produce of your mind that is not aimed directly at
            the personal criticism or judgement of another?

            What is the bottom line here? Is it about persons;
            about persons' relationship to the Spiritual
            hierarchy; about persons' relationship to Christ and
            Michael; does the bottom line ultimately refer to
            the Earth and humanities responsibility toward the
            Earth's future incarnation as a Sun Being? What is
            the bottom line for you Robert?

            > -- I'm guessing that you are struggling with
            > some kind of addiction and working with some
            > kind of 12-step program. I hope that you are
            > aware that such "meetings" have their dangers
            > as well as their benefits. (Kinda like e-
            > groups.) You can do some good "work" and meet
            > some helpful people there, but you might also
            > meet some "users", in the other sense of the
            > word. Such people will try to run all sorts of
            > tricky, manipulative games on you, and if you
            > let them get very close to you, you will likely
            > regret it bitterly. (That's a big reason why
            > some "self-help" groups have the rule that the
            > members may have no social relations with each
            > other outside the meetings.) It does seem that
            > many "users" are just that, in both senses of
            > the word.

            I have been clean and sober from mood-altering
            chemicals of a solid, liquid or gaseous form for 20
            years. For 18 years I have help countless hundreds
            of people move towards becoming physically vital, emotionally
            stable and mentally clear about who they are and
            their relationship to the Greater Whole. I
            completed the Saturn cycle two years ago.

            Hell, Robert, the world is filled with users! So
            what else is new that you can broadcast?

            There is a pattern unfolding in your writing. I
            wonder if you are aware of it?

            > I hope that you keep your BS meter with you
            > at all times, keep it calibrated, keep good
            > batteries in it, and set the alarm to LOUD.

            My BS meter is finely tuned and calibrated. That is
            why I asked you why you continue to take Joel to
            task as the alarm is sounded forth after reading
            your homily about Joel.

            Duh!

            Terence
          • Terence
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 7, 2006
              --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "emil_rio" <emil_rio@y...> wrote:

              > There are two definitions for "hoopla" in my dictionary. 1.) Boisterous
              > or jovial commotion or excitement," and 2.) Talk intended to mislead or
              > confuse."
              >
              > "Guile" is defined as "Insidious, treacherous cunning; deceit."
              >
              > "Hoopla" in no way defines these posts, Re: Beware of...; "Guile" is
              > entirely inappropriate, by the above definition.

              Read the post again Emil and note the word I used
              was "guileless." Guileless: innocent and without
              deception. Taken in that context, I asked the
              question. "Are both Mason and Emil guileless?"
              Are you without deception, Emil when you write
              against Joel? You are antipathetic are you not?
              It appears that you have an axe to grind! That
              you have guile: cunning, craftiness, craft,
              artfulness, art, artifice, wiliness, slyness,
              deviousness; wiles, ploys, schemes, stratagems,
              maneuvers, tricks, subterfuges, ruses; deception,
              deceit, duplicity, underhandedness,
              double-dealing, and trickery all about your post to
              this board.

              As to hoopla: excitement surrounding an event or
              situation, esp. when considered to be unnecessary
              fuss. As I witness the antagonistic tone of your email,
              I see an unneccessary fuss being made about Joel.

              > My recommendation again is far less carelessness on these posts. A
              > really good habit to develop would be to use the dictionary frequently.

              Perhaps this is some advice that you need to follow?

              > Inevitably, when wariness and discernment are called for (and in this
              > case with good reason), someone will come back with the Bible
              > quote: "...he who is without sin cast the first stone," etc.

              I couldn't tell you where this quote is located in the Bible.
              As a statement, does it not carry meaning that needs to be
              more closly examined? Why throw dirt in another man's face?
              What is in it for you? What do you gain?

              > This is for the record: I am without guile, as is Robert M. And in
              > regard to myself: no human being is without sin. Self-knowledge is
              > sufficient for discernment in this case.

              Now from my limited perspective, me thinks that a
              person who is without guile or guileless would
              think twice about disparaging another person
              whilst hiding behind the key board in
              cyber-space. Should not the comments that you
              made re Joel be made to his face, rather than
              through this medium of exchange where every one
              reads what you write about another person? What
              would happen if you took Joel to task like a
              mensch and posted directly to him offline?
              Mensch: a person of integrity and honor.

              > What is bad about people on these lists (Maurice) are their quick,
              > careless, at times even thoughtless postings.

              My gawd man, it is amazing how you write about yourself!
              Tis an interesting phenomenon. A pattern is being revealed. Can you see it?

              > Time to review those 8 steps from "Knowledge of the Higher Worlds,"
              > especially: think before speaking or writing. And a course in "Creative
              > Writing" or "Writing" 101 is highly recommended. Or perhaps "Public
              > Forum Postings" 101. The last could be approached selflessly, in the
              > interests of Anthroposophy.

              Dear me! When you take Joel to task in a public
              forum whose purpose is to explore Anthroposophy,
              pray tell me how what you post is serving the
              interests of Anthropsophy? Your posts appear to
              me to be more of the caliber of self-serving judgementalism.

              Curious to me that you do not address me by name in this post.
              Am I a non-person in your eyes, too? A mensch will look me in the
              eye and talk to me directly to my face and look me straight in the eye
              (in this case it would be off-line).

              For the record, my Christian name is Terence. Address me by this
              name if you want me to continue this argument. Argument: an exchange
              of diverging or opposite views; a reason or set of reasons given with
              the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong.

              Terence

              ---
              Ahriman always seeks to reduce the threefold
              element within Man to a dyad and to remove the
              mediating heart element, rendering the human
              organism one merely of intelligence and will.
              -- Steiner
            • Stephen
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 7, 2006
                All,
                I am new to Anthroposophy and have been enjoying the posts. It is only
                natural that someone new, like me, might attempt to contact someone on
                the list who appears knowledgeable for advice. I have been involved in a
                few other lists and meet both good and bad people, so I have some
                experience. If you look at Steiner's writings alone, it is a daunting
                task to decide where to start. A few weeks back, I was reading the posts
                of Joel and was somewhat impressed. He had me pretty convinced to start
                with epistemology, and the Philosophy of Spiritual Activity. I contacted
                him privately and told him I enjoyed his posts, he ignored that. I went
                to his website and starting reading ... there was knowledge and there
                was something else, something that was beginning to bother me. Then
                Emil's post and warning came out. I appreciate that. If someone has been
                around and has a history with all of this, and wants to lend some
                advice, then I think that is great. It is up to me how to take it.
                Hopefully that is the end of it. But then people like Terrence and some
                others feel the need to defend someone they don't even know, and attack
                those who have tried to warn new people like me, in my opinion they show
                themselves very badly this way, as it has made matters so much worse.
                Then Maurice posts a short comment, and I was disappointed as up to that
                point Maurice seemed to be very knowledgeable.
                Emil and Robert, thank you very much for the warning, I don't feel
                anything negative from it. I only feel like you were truly trying to
                help. I have worked with other people in the past who I at first thought
                seemed knowledgeable, only to waste time and be led down dead end paths.
                Joel, I don't know what to think. Please keep posting of your knowledge
                and do whatever it is you are trying to do on this list.
                Terrence, I don't know what to say to you, but something seems very wrong.
                Maurice, I will try to expect less from you and take what you have to
                offer.
                For what it is worth, I started with Theosophy, Steiner has a gift for
                explaining these things - body, soul, spirit - I have never heard these
                terms presented the way he uses them.
                - Stephen
              • emil_rio
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 8, 2006
                  Terence: elists are a means of "key-board" "cyberspace" communications,
                  and there's really no getting around that. Suggesting that I'm "hiding
                  behind a keyboard" is ridiculous.

                  Now, my posts of warning in regard to the problems of AP's, especially
                  beginners, getting seriously sidetracked by Joel Wendt, (and the mix-up
                  of AP with "Tomberg"), especially if they come to or search for answers
                  in the literature of Anthroposophy through the computer, stands. It's
                  an objective warning and it's for the sake of others; it has nothing to
                  do with myself, and it's not personal. Actually more telling than
                  Robert Mason's posts on Joel Wendt, are Joel Wendt's answers.

                  Arguing or even a discussion with yourself, in light of your "attack,"
                  unfortunately based in obvious emotionalism - which is not appropriate
                  on the computer under any circumstances - will not resolve anything.
                  You'll likely get cleverer and cleverer, more and more insulting, with
                  continued semantic twisting, etc etc and keep pulling up cards from
                  your sleeve... I invariably lose at these games. (They constitute a
                  large measure of overall elist communications, too.)

                  It is admirable that you take up for your friend, Joel Wendt.

                  I really must stop posting regularly on this elist, because I have a
                  lot of work to do, and these posts can drain energy that I can't spare.

                  So go ahead and have the last word, Terence; you can call me every
                  nasty name in the book of nasty names, you can even threaten me
                  physically. (However, 63-year-old women can be surprisingly formidable
                  when physically threatened...) It really doesn't matter.

                  My posts stand; I do not take them back or regret them. And may they
                  help beginners - along the difficult path of Anthroposophy - to be very
                  discerning.

                  From time to time I'll come back and contribute some posts to this
                  elist.
                • Terence
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 8, 2006
                    --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "emil_rio" <emil_rio@y...> wrote:

                    > My posts stand; I do not take them back or regret them. And may they
                    > help beginners - along the difficult path of Anthroposophy - to be very
                    > discerning.

                    So mote it be!

                    Terence
                  • Joel Wendt
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 9, 2006
                      Dear List-mates,

                      Leaving aside that Emil and Robert don't want to stand behind what they
                      write here, lets confront a lingering question implied somewhat in
                      Robert's last post, where he admits he doesn't know much and then goes
                      on to create his own form of the general confusion in the
                      Anthroposophical Movement...

                      First, please lets be honest about the last 100 years of
                      anthroposophical activity...people are going to have gotten a lot of
                      stuff just wrong. Not because they didn't try, but because we are
                      human, and make errors, and once Steiner died the best corrective for
                      our errors changed his field of operations. If you wanted Steiner's
                      help, it wasn't going to be found in his books, but in the inner forum
                      of ones own soul, but people went to his books - to the past of dead
                      thought and not to the living thought available to our own thinking
                      activity...

                      Robert seems to confuse the path of PoF with Knowledge of Higher Worlds,
                      as if these were the same thing, which they are not. Don't have to
                      believe me, by the way, you can read Lowndes' Enliveninig the Chakra of
                      the Heart, wherein in the last two chapters the difference between these
                      two paths and the significance of this difference is carefully introduced...

                      Now we are starting a second hundred years of anthroposophical activity
                      (this is quite significant, because Christ works Century to Century in
                      33 year rhythms (see Ben-Aharon's The Spiritual Event of the Twentieth
                      Century). Our condition as a spiritual movement is fraught with
                      dangers. The cumulative failures of the 20th Century must be faced (if
                      we don't, it becomes the same flaw that undoes a student of esotericism
                      who refuses to look honestly at his own past).

                      The archetype of these failures lives in the work of S.O. Prokofieff,
                      who is a very nice man, very sincere, hard working, and something of an
                      intellectual genius without a doubt. He is the perfect example of what
                      happens if people don't make a connection to Steiner's early works on
                      spiriual freedom, moral imagination and picture thinking. Let me lay
                      out the general shape of the basic flaw that permiates almost all of
                      anthroposophical work, including Prokofieff and even Robert's efforts on
                      Ahriman ( http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Sparta/1105/ahriman.htm ).

                      Rudolf Steiner's lectures are not much more than highly accurate maps of
                      spiritual realities. Anyone who has had real spiritual experiences on
                      the anthroposophical path knows this to be the case. The actual
                      territory is so far outside what words can convey that it becomes
                      obvious that the lectures produce a serious temptation to the soul.

                      Steiner himself, in Occult Science an Outline, does not speak even of
                      that book as providing knowledge to the reader, but only
                      "understanding". This is so for most of what Steiner wrote and lectured
                      about - our "understanding" is enriched, and this has positive
                      consequences for the soul AS LONG AS we don't mistake "understanding"
                      for "knowledge".

                      Yet, this is precisely how the anthroposophical movement has come to
                      treat the "understanding" that Steiner has given us, and we have then
                      (by this fatal weakness) made of his work in our souls not anthroposophy
                      but Steinerism. People who are believers in Steinerism, and haven't
                      then followed the Path of Cognition laid out in the epistemologies, then
                      don't "know" their own souls well enough to realize that this huge
                      content of Steiner-thought they have consumed has become a kind of prison.

                      The clue that this is the case is the enormous frequency of the phrase:
                      "Steiner said".

                      Thinking, which is seeking freedom, will want more to form its own
                      conclusions about matters and will resist letting live in the soul too
                      much Steiner-thought.

                      The real arena of spiritual activity is within us. The true battle is
                      fought there, not in the outer world of the senses.

                      At the beginning of this new century no one should be surprised that
                      within the anthroposophical movement itself a struggle is arising,
                      between that which has actually followed Steiner's Path of Cognition,
                      and those who couldn't quite get it, but now want to justify their own
                      understandable weaknesses by attacking the truth.

                      The clue here is the weaknesses of their approach. Emil and Robert
                      can't actually stand here in this forum and speak to what they don't
                      know. At best they can seek to tar and feather that which would make
                      them face what hasn't been made into knowledge in their own souls, but
                      which they would rather protect at whatever cost to others.

                      There are consequences to our actions. As seekers of the spirit, the
                      most significant actions in this regard are inwardly in the soul, not
                      outwardly in the social world. We can only seek the spirit within, via
                      the activity of the own spirit in the own soul. There lies the "narrow
                      gate", and the endless quoting of Steiner can only obscure and make more
                      difficult this essential work.

                      So far (in the last century), the anthroposophical movement has been
                      immature. Now it is time for it to grow up, a process certain to be
                      painful.

                      warm regards,
                      joel
                    • Terence
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 9, 2006
                        In the not too distant past, I happened upon an
                        interesting old chap by the name of Stanley
                        Messenger, an octogenarian who has a special
                        perspective to share. I would encourage a visit to
                        his site. Copy and past everything between the
                        < ... >

                        <http://www.isleofavalon.co.uk/GlastonburyArchive/messenger/sm-lucifer.html>

                        I would call particular attention to : *Claim Two.
                        Here's another even more frequently heard
                        statement. "Oh! I can't read The Philosophy of
                        Freedom. That's far beyond me. I need to experience
                        spirit in action in the world."*

                        I am especailly fond of what Stanley writes near
                        the end of his letter; *... Well, in the first place
                        no-one approaching initiate knowledge for the first
                        time will be denied human as well as super-sensible
                        help and support, though, in the absence of the
                        Society, it is more likely to be through the loving
                        recognition of individuals than through formal
                        study-groups with official auspices. But there is
                        something more. We have a School of Spiritual
                        Science. It was set up under the old dispensation,
                        and it has remained incomplete. Anthroposophy
                        didn't transform the mind-set of the pre-millennial
                        western world, though it had a profound hidden
                        effect upon it. Have you thought, as a member of
                        that school, that it might be possible, in drawing
                        a line under it, to graduate from that school?
                        Perhaps no-one would get first-class honours. But
                        have you thought that Rudolf Steiner, who with Ita
                        Wegman, is now intensely occupied with his next
                        world task, and longs to be released from the
                        tragic karma of anthroposophy, might, if asked,
                        happily give pass degrees to those who ask, and
                        release both himself and the rest of us from what
                        may otherwise become an esoteric blind-alley? There
                        is so much love in the New World. We could all go
                        on and join them*

                        If we continue to quote Steiner and use
                        Steinerism's rather than think for ourselves and
                        express oursleves as best as we can, as Joel
                        mentions in his recent post, are we not parts of a
                        binding agent for the future of the soul-spirit of
                        RS and the next phase of his work? And are we not
                        also binding ourselves to the past history of
                        Anthroposophy?

                        Having read the parts, pieces and parcels of
                        Spiritual Science extensively for years I am
                        intimatley aware of the necessity to comprehend the
                        significant difference between understanding and
                        knowledge.

                        May Stanley's message be of assistance to help you
                        become unfettered from the yoke of understanding
                        anthroposophy....especially if you are a Beginner.
                        May as well start off on the right foot, eh?

                        Terence
                      • Terence
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 9, 2006
                          --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Stephen <celestial_vision@c...> wrote:

                          SNIP

                          > Terrence, I don't know what to say to you, but something seems very wrong.

                          Do not lose any sleep over this Stephen. Mind your
                          own business, as what I wrote doesn't include you.

                          Keep on reading, asking questions, meditating, pray
                          and by all means stay inside your skin and look at
                          you and your relationship with people you are in
                          relationship with, and with the burgeoning relationship
                          you are having with your soul. Anthroposophy is not
                          about persons. We all have our shadow or
                          doppleganger to contend with until we meet the
                          Lower Guardian of the Threshold. When you get to
                          that place in your soul-spirit growth you will
                          recognize the truth that Anthroposophy is not about
                          persons.

                          Out of curiosity, if you willingto answer, what is
                          Anthropsophy about to you?

                          Terence