Re: [anthroposophy] universe incarnations??

  • Joel Wendt
    Message 1 of 42 , Nov 11, 2005
      Dear Daniel,

      Interesting words by a scifi writer...

      Coleridge made a distinction between certain observable inner
      processes, and the results that come in thought depending upon upon
      which inner processes are active and in what arrangement. Since we
      sleep through these activities, the resulting ideation tends to wander
      around without us being able to really nail down why the different
      results. We act as if the differences are matters of argument or
      experience, but don't often recognize that we have proceeded in the soul
      via quite different pathways.

      For example, Coleridge wrote of these qualities of soul process:
      Sense, Fancy, Understanding, Understanding, Imagination and Reason.
      I'll leave aside why there are two forms of Understanding for the
      moment, and just focus on the differences between Fancy and Imagination.

      Fancy is linked more dominately to sense processes and sense
      experiences, even though it involves inner picture making. The
      Imagination recognizes that the logos order of experience (both outer
      and inner) is expressed in Reason, but also admits to a degree of
      discipline needing to inform the picture making.

      A lot of scientific "theory" then is rooted in sense experience and
      Fancy (undisciplined picture making) which then produces a more earthly
      and somewhat incomplete Understanding. The more the logos (logic) is
      involved and the more disciplined the Imagination, the more Reason lives
      in the production of the higher form of Understanding.

      Since the scientist is sleeping through which soul processes he is
      using in spinning his "theories", the real root of the differences among
      theories is generally not perceived.

      One could, for example, use bits of Reason and Imagination and
      Sense, but in a somewhat fanciful way - the usual form we see this is in
      "what if" senarios. Sometimes concepts are created this way, and then
      various already fanciful concepts are woven together in an even more
      fanciful way, and we get the multiverse and string theory and such. As
      long as there is no self observation of the mind, and no discipline
      applied (especially of a moral nature), then thinking will create
      endless illusions that will occasionally be popular, but will seldom (if
      ever) be true.

      warm regards,

    • Maurice McCarthy
      Message 42 of 42 , Dec 14, 2005
        Hi Sunny,

        Welcome to the list and I hope this is a good place for you. As you'll see there is not much traffic lately.

        Warmest Regards