Children recovering from neglect and/or abuse

  • hypatia_lea1
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2005
      Hi
      I am hoping for some feedback to some social situations with young
      children - I'd like some comments on anthroposophical ways to approach
      some situations in regards to caring for a young child (say 2 to 5
      years old) who has previously suffered from neglect and/or abuse (ok -
      some people say neglect is a form of abuse).

      The behaviours that I've been considering are given below - and they
      are specifically in relation to a child who has previously suffered
      neglect/abuse...

      1) the child is stealing
      my suggestion is to give the child some responsibility, for
      example, the ownership of a puppy or kitten, and/or be given some
      chores (like take the bin out or feed the dog) and the child is given
      pocket money for doing chores and can buy his/her own things from this
      pocket money.

      2) the child runs away
      my suggestion is to ask the child to help design his/her room, that
      is to pick out a new bedspread, new curtains etc - go shopping
      together to get them - have the child help to put the up - to choose
      paint for the book shelf and toy shelves and have them help to paint
      these.

      3) the child has temper tantrums
      my suggestion is that during the temper tantrums - to hold the
      child close until they are calm.
      But in the mean time to buy musical instruments that can be banged and
      clanged.

      4) the child keeps setting fires and/or playing with matches
      my suggestion is to buy a remote control boat and go down to the
      lake or the river or the dam a lot.
      a friend of mine suggested - just letting them play with fire (in a
      controlled setting) and let him/her get it out of their system.

      5)the child keeps telling lies
      i don't have suggestions for this??

      If you have comments about these - or feedback, please reply.

      Thanks

      Leanne