RE: [anthroposophy] Re: etherically goggle-eyed

  • Cindy Coker
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 27, 2005

      I am behind on my mail so perhaps this has been asked, could you please tell me where Dr. Steiner discussed this topic?  I am trying to learn more about this subject, but am fairly new to the study and haven’t come across it yet.

      Thank you.

      Cindy

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 24, 2005
        For some reason I just received this post and thanks for the comments. I have to admit after being on the computer for 6-8 hours days, reading a good book is not in the cards often.

        I do watched film and TV  over the years with good and bad results. If one is simply observant within the process of watching, the fundamental efffect is  negative or passive imagination. This is widely known by educational experts and I am sure RS would point this out but it also seems there is much more going on. . There is nothing "wrong" with relaxing the imagination and thinking process at times but extensvie TV or film watching or music listening is like taking and empty cup and filling it. The more direct "fact" is the "cup" is porous and malleable and retains everything poured into it- brain formation, imagination, astral and etheric bodies and soul content.  Thus this passive activiity (rather than active imagination or self generation) leads to a weakening of the the etheric and astral bodies in producing firmness, focus and self generated imagination and thinking. Could it be as some speculater that ADS is actually the result of constant expsosure to rapid fire images and sounds thus negating the soul's ability to focus and create a brain and nervous system that can sustain calmness and concentration. My vote is yes for the most part plus diet.

         Video games are the worst. I don't play them but tried it once in a hotel. A friend and I had some pre dinner time available and we sat down into a racing video arcade. I thought "no big deal" and away I went into it- literally. I could not believe how quickly I was entranced into the game even to the extent of moving my body and emotions to the images of racing and crashing on the screen (which was large and  enclosed sitting area).. I later thought over what it must be like for kids of all ages to do this day in day out. The key, as Gurdjieff used to say, sense impresions are food to the soul - for good or bad. We cannot control the impact on the soul or how it is processed unconsciously the impact of all impression lives within us to a degree. .

        As when it all get to be too much (computer work or media), I find myself drawn strongly to nature, mediation. visualization work and spiritual study.

        Lee