Re: [anthroposophy] etherically goggle-eyed

  • Joel Wendt
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 23, 2005
      Dear Lee,

          I can understand your point of view expressed below, but at the same time my own research suggests that the matter is much more complicated.  Having raised five children through adolescence and our present media culture, it is clear to me that there does exist a natural balance in the development of individual moral sensibilities of the heart.

          This is, in the Age of the Consciousness Soul, a time in which people have the potential for a natural threshold experience of the Good.  It isn't necessary for people to become anthroposophists (Christ is far wiser than that), but only that they begin to find their way to heart thinking (true conscience).  This arises in modern culture in many ways, and I have observed among those seemingly most vulnerable to the confusion of images, great individual moral strength.

          In point of fact, there is in film, TV and the Internet, a whole moral artistry that can be observed.  A film, to give an example, that sends members of the audience out into the world with an impulse to discuss and ponder, guides the soul toward is higher potentials.  So the Matrix, or Pay it Forward, or Joan of Arcadia etc. (just to name a few), having been penetrated with the artistic spirit of their creators, can engender deeper consciousness on the part of the audience, post the film experience.

      warm regards,
      joel

      Lee A. wrote:
      A great reminder of what now is epidemic among the young- complete enslavement of the imagination to pseudo images of reality.

      Lee

      AJM <abrasax7@...> wrote:
      Dear Friends:

      O.K. Daniel Here is the quote...

      aain regarding this news article:

      http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/050811_attention_problem.html

      Cosmic and Human Metamorphoses

      LECTURE 4
      MORALITY, AS A GERMINATING FORCE.

      "Ask yourselves frankly and honourably, what is really most like what
      you see in the street: a picture painted by an artist, an immobile
      picture, or the dreadful sparkling pictures of the cinematograph. If
      you put the question to yourselves quite honourably, you will admit
      that what the artist reproduces in a state of rest is much more like
      what you see. Hence, while people are sitting at the cinema, what they
      see there does not make its way into the ordinary faculty of
      perception, it enters a deeper, more material stratum than we usually
      employ for our perception. A man becomes etherically goggle-eyed at
      the cinema; he develops eyes like those of a seal, only much larger, I
      mean larger etherically. This works in a materialising way, not only
      upon what he has in his consciousness, but upon his deepest
      sub-consciousness. Do not think I am abusing the cinematograph; I
      should like to say once more that it is quite natural it should exist,
      and it will attain far greater perfection as time goes on. That will
      be the road leading to materialism. But a counterbalance must be
      established, and that can only be created in the following way. With
      the search for reality which is being developed in the cinema, with
      this descent below sense-perception, man must at the same time develop
      an ascent above it, an ascent into Spiritual reality. Then the cinema
      will do him no harm, and he can see it as often as he likes. But
      unless the counterbalance is there, people will be led by such things
      as these, not to have their proper relation to the earth, but to
      become more and more closely related to it, until at last, they are
      entirely shut off from the Spiritual world."

      It does not relate in the original manner which I first thought,
      however this link is a very good example of Goethean Science, as it
      relates to the perception of the eye.

      -A

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Terence
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 24, 2005
        --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Joel Wendt <hermit@t...> wrote:
        egarding this news article:

        > Dear Lee,

        > I can understand your point of view expressed
        > below, but at the same time my own research suggests
        > that the matter is much more complicated. Having
        > raised five children through adolescence and our
        > present media culture, it is clear to me that there
        > does exist a natural balance in the development of

        I concur with Joel. My wife and I raised 3 children
        and are currently co-raising two granddaughters.

        Many were the hours that we watched disney flix
        like 20 Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, Dune, etc.
        and talked about the plot and theme afterwards. We
        encouraged our sons to develop imaginative skills
        playing D&D. They currently are PhD Biological
        scientists and professors.

        During our annual visits we used to talk about
        their upbringing during our families recovery from
        chemical dependency as a means of clearing the air.
        Our adult children's memories all had fond recall
        of our movie, TV and video game experiences.

        We are doing the same bit with our granddaughters
        (4 & 6) to stimulate their imaginative sense. What
        is critical is the communications during and after
        the imaginative events. They love to answer
        questions as well as ask them.

        Terence
      • Hogie McM
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 24, 2005
          Just to add a thought to the goggle-eyed discussion:
          Dr. Steiner emphasizes that one can watch as much cimema/video as one
          wants, without danger, as long as it is balanced by a counter-balancing
          striving
          to understand the spiritual world. It is in the goggle-eyed portion of his
          lecture.

          Best,
          Hogie
          >> I can understand your point of view expressed
          >> below, but at the same time my own research suggests
          >> that the matter is much more complicated. Having
          >> raised five children through adolescence and our
          >> present media culture, it is clear to me that there
          >> does exist a natural balance in the development of
          >

          > I concur with Joel. My wife and I raised 3 children
          > and are currently co-raising two granddaughters.
          >
          > Many were the hours that we watched disney flix
          > like 20 Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, Dune, etc.
          > and talked about the plot and theme afterwards. We
          > encouraged our sons to develop imaginative skills
          > playing D&D. They currently are PhD Biological
          > scientists and professors.
          >
          > During our annual visits we used to talk about
          > their upbringing during our families recovery from
          > chemical dependency as a means of clearing the air.
          > Our adult children's memories all had fond recall
          > of our movie, TV and video game experiences.
          >
          > We are doing the same bit with our granddaughters
          > (4 & 6) to stimulate their imaginative sense. What
          > is critical is the communications during and after
          > the imaginative events. They love to answer
          > questions as well as ask them.
          >
          > Terence
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Cindy Coker
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 27, 2005

            I am behind on my mail so perhaps this has been asked, could you please tell me where Dr. Steiner discussed this topic?  I am trying to learn more about this subject, but am fairly new to the study and haven’t come across it yet.

            Thank you.

            Cindy

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 24, 2005
              For some reason I just received this post and thanks for the comments. I have to admit after being on the computer for 6-8 hours days, reading a good book is not in the cards often.

              I do watched film and TV  over the years with good and bad results. If one is simply observant within the process of watching, the fundamental efffect is  negative or passive imagination. This is widely known by educational experts and I am sure RS would point this out but it also seems there is much more going on. . There is nothing "wrong" with relaxing the imagination and thinking process at times but extensvie TV or film watching or music listening is like taking and empty cup and filling it. The more direct "fact" is the "cup" is porous and malleable and retains everything poured into it- brain formation, imagination, astral and etheric bodies and soul content.  Thus this passive activiity (rather than active imagination or self generation) leads to a weakening of the the etheric and astral bodies in producing firmness, focus and self generated imagination and thinking. Could it be as some speculater that ADS is actually the result of constant expsosure to rapid fire images and sounds thus negating the soul's ability to focus and create a brain and nervous system that can sustain calmness and concentration. My vote is yes for the most part plus diet.

               Video games are the worst. I don't play them but tried it once in a hotel. A friend and I had some pre dinner time available and we sat down into a racing video arcade. I thought "no big deal" and away I went into it- literally. I could not believe how quickly I was entranced into the game even to the extent of moving my body and emotions to the images of racing and crashing on the screen (which was large and  enclosed sitting area).. I later thought over what it must be like for kids of all ages to do this day in day out. The key, as Gurdjieff used to say, sense impresions are food to the soul - for good or bad. We cannot control the impact on the soul or how it is processed unconsciously the impact of all impression lives within us to a degree. .

              As when it all get to be too much (computer work or media), I find myself drawn strongly to nature, mediation. visualization work and spiritual study.

              Lee

              Hogie McM <hogie@...> wrote:
              Just to add a thought to the goggle-eyed discussion:
              Dr. Steiner emphasizes that one can watch as much cimema/video as one
              wants, without danger, as long as it is balanced by a counter-balancing
              striving
              to understand the spiritual world.  It is in the goggle-eyed portion of his
              lecture.

              Best,
              Hogie
              >>     I can understand your point of view expressed
              >> below, but at the same time my own research suggests
              >> that the matter is much more complicated. Having
              >> raised five children through adolescence and our
              >> present media culture, it is clear to me that there
              >> does exist a natural balance in the development of
              >

              > I concur with Joel. My wife and I raised 3 children
              > and are currently co-raising two granddaughters.
              >
              > Many were the hours that we watched disney flix
              > like 20 Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, Dune, etc.
              > and talked about the plot and theme afterwards. We
              > encouraged our sons to develop imaginative skills
              > playing D&D. They currently are PhD Biological
              > scientists and professors.
              >
              > During our annual visits we used to talk about
              > their upbringing during our families recovery from
              > chemical dependency as a means of clearing the air.
              > Our adult children's memories all had fond recall
              > of our movie, TV and video game experiences.
              >
              > We are doing the same bit  with our granddaughters
              > (4 & 6) to stimulate their imaginative sense. What
              > is critical is the communications during and after
              > the imaginative events. They love to answer
              > questions as well as ask them.
              >
              > Terence
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! for Good