Re: [anthroposophy] Anthroposophic soul

  • Hogie McM
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 21, 2005
      Steve:
      For a very simple intro, try
      AT THE GATES OF SPIRITUAL SCIENCE by Rudolf Steiner;
      for a more detailed explanation of your specific question, try:
      THE ANTHROPOSOPHICAL UNDERSTANDING OF THE SOUL
      by F.W. Zeylmans van Emmichoven

      Best,
      Hogie

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 22, 2005
        The closest thing to "Anthroposophy for Dummies" is Stewart Easton's "Man
        and the world in light of Anthroposophy." It should answer most of your
        basic questions.

        Anthroposophy teaches that the soul is entirely non-physical.
        Anthroposophy sees the soul as having several parts, the most important of
        which is the distinction between soul and spirit.
        The Spirit reincarnates.
        The Spirit is immortal.
        Christ is very important.
        Souls cannot be seen. They can be perceived by those with meditative
        training have reached a certain degree of clairvoyance.
        Animals have souls, plants do not.

        The above are some very brief, incomplete answers to highly complex
        questions. I think Easton's book will give you a good overview of
        Anthroposophy (and save me a lot of typing). Easton was a trained
        psychologist who earned his living writing textbooks. He was therefore very
        good at researching large topics and writing about them clearly. He went
        through a considerable portion of Steiner's work in writing this book.

        I hope this is helpful.

        Daniel Hindes

      • steprobemars
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2005
          Thanks to all for the replies,

          I've now done a lttle more reading. From a novice's perspective would
          it be accurate to summarise as follows:

          The non-material components of the human being are the etheric body,
          the astral body and the ego. The astral body represents the soul and
          the ego is the spirit. For this reason humans possess both a spirit
          and a soul, animals have a soul only, and plants have neither.

          Is the term "ego" synonymous with "I" in Steiner's fourfold view of man?

          Thanks,
          Steve

        • Cheeseandsalsa@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2005
            I would start with some of his basics too.  Theosophy, How to Know Higher Worlds, Christianity as Mystical Fact, Occult Science, Philosophy of Freedom.............Depending on where you live anthro communities hold book studies often with these basic books.  Also for some online lectures www.elibmain.com.  I will forever recommend the St. John lectures......Hope this helps.