RE: [anthroposophy] Re: Four Means and Six Virtues

  • Carel Van Oldenbeek
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
      Thank you Larry, I shall try that.

      Best wishes, Carel

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Larry [mailto:furrylogic@...]
      Sent: 02 March 2005 04:51
      To: anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [anthroposophy] Re: Four Means and Six Virtues

      Carel Van Oldenbeek wrote:

      > I have been trying to find more information on these "Four Means
      and Six
      > Virtues" and found only a few web sites, including
      > http://swamij.com/sadhana-chatushtaya-shatsampat.htm and
      > http://www.yogaadvaita.org/text/jnana2.shtml , most seem to
      originate from
      > the Ramakrishna/Sivananda/Divine life society movement.
      >

      > Does anyone know the primary textual source of, or indeed any other
      > reference to, these vedantic teachings on the Four Means and Six
      Virtues?

      There's a Yahoo group called theos-talk, filled with Theosophists,
      some of whom love their Vedanta. Somebody there must know something.

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Larry
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        Carel Van Oldenbeek wrote:

        > I have been trying to find more information on these "Four Means
        and Six
        > Virtues" and found only a few web sites, including
        > http://swamij.com/sadhana-chatushtaya-shatsampat.htm and
        > http://www.yogaadvaita.org/text/jnana2.shtml , most seem to
        originate from
        > the Ramakrishna/Sivananda/Divine life society movement.
        >

        > Does anyone know the primary textual source of, or indeed any other
        > reference to, these vedantic teachings on the Four Means and Six
        Virtues?

        There's a Yahoo group called theos-talk, filled with Theosophists,
        some of whom love their Vedanta. Somebody there must know something.
      • nuchamber
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2005
          Hello Carel,

          A most magnificent tract by RS which makes reference to the vedantic,
          sangya and yonga streams is the 5 lectures 28th Dec 1912 to 1 Jan
          1913. "The Bhagavad Gita and the Epistles of St. Paul"

          Regards, Jud

          --- "Carel Van Oldenbeek" <mailing_lists@d...> wrote:
          > On 1 January 2005 Joksu started a discussion on " Beatitudes
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/anthroposophy/message/10864> and
          etheric forces."

          > This is a quote from his first post:

          > In his book "Knowledge of the Higher Wordls" in chapter "Some
          Results of Initiation" Dr. Steiner has clarified the four necessary
          requirements in esoteric training. (Start of the quote):

          > " In esoteric training there is question of four attributes which
          must be acquired on the so-called preparatory path for the attainment
          of higher knowledge. The first is the faculty of discriminating in
          thoughts between truth and appearance or mere opinion. The second
          attribute is the correct estimation of what is inwardly true and
          real, as against what is merely apparent. The third rests in the
          practice of the six qualities already mentioned in the preceding
          pages: thought-control, control of actions, perseverance, tolerance,
          faith and equanimity. The fourth attribute is the love of inner
          freedom." (end of quote)

          > These attributes were known already in the old (vedantic) teachings
          of India. According to Mr. Ervast there they were expressed as 1)
          Viveeka - faculty of discriminating between real (essential) and
          unreal (non-essential) 2) Vairaagja - indifference concerning the
          non-essential (or unreal). 3) Shatsampatti - six qualities (most
          important is the thought-control) 4) Mumuksha - longing for
          redemption.