Four Means and Six Virtues

  • Carel Van Oldenbeek
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 24, 2005

      On 1 January 2005 Joksu started a discussion on “ Beatitudes and etheric forces.”

      This is a quote from his first post:

      In his book "Knowledge of the Higher Wordls" in chapter "Some Results of Initiation" Dr. Steiner has clarified the four necessary requirements in esoteric training. (Start of the quote):

       " In esoteric training there is question of four attributes which must be acquired on the so-called preparatory path for the attainment of higher knowledge. The first is the faculty of discriminating in thoughts between truth and appearance or mere opinion. The second attribute is the correct estimation of what is inwardly true and real, as against what is merely apparent. The third rests in the practice of the six qualities already mentioned in the preceding pages: thought-control, control of actions, perseverance, tolerance, faith and equanimity. The fourth attribute

      is the love of inner freedom."    (end of quote)

      These attributes were known already in the old (vedantic) teachings of India . According to Mr. Ervast there they were expressed as  1) Viveeka – faculty of discriminating between real (essential) and unreal (non-essential)  2) Vairaagja – indifference concerning the non-essential (or unreal). 3)  Shatsampatti - six qualities (most important is the thought-control)  4) Mumuksha - longing for redemption.

      I have been trying to find more information on these “Four Means and Six Virtues” and found only a few web sites, including http://swamij.com/sadhana-chatushtaya-shatsampat.htm  and http://www.yogaadvaita.org/text/jnana2.shtml , most seem to originate from the Ramakrishna/Sivananda/Divine life society movement.

      Does anyone know the primary textual source of, or indeed any other reference to, these vedantic teachings on the Four Means and Six Virtues?

      Carel

    • Carel Van Oldenbeek
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        Thank you Larry, I shall try that.

        Best wishes, Carel

        > I have been trying to find more information on these "Four Means
        and Six
        > Virtues" and found only a few web sites, including
        > http://swamij.com/sadhana-chatushtaya-shatsampat.htm and
        > http://www.yogaadvaita.org/text/jnana2.shtml , most seem to
        originate from
        > the Ramakrishna/Sivananda/Divine life society movement.
        >

        > Does anyone know the primary textual source of, or indeed any other
        > reference to, these vedantic teachings on the Four Means and Six
        Virtues?

        There's a Yahoo group called theos-talk, filled with Theosophists,
        some of whom love their Vedanta. Somebody there must know something.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Larry
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
          Carel Van Oldenbeek wrote:

          > I have been trying to find more information on these "Four Means
          and Six
          > Virtues" and found only a few web sites, including
          > http://swamij.com/sadhana-chatushtaya-shatsampat.htm and
          > http://www.yogaadvaita.org/text/jnana2.shtml , most seem to
          originate from
          > the Ramakrishna/Sivananda/Divine life society movement.
          >

          > Does anyone know the primary textual source of, or indeed any other
          > reference to, these vedantic teachings on the Four Means and Six
          Virtues?

          There's a Yahoo group called theos-talk, filled with Theosophists,
          some of whom love their Vedanta. Somebody there must know something.
        • nuchamber
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6, 2005
            Hello Carel,

            A most magnificent tract by RS which makes reference to the vedantic,
            sangya and yonga streams is the 5 lectures 28th Dec 1912 to 1 Jan
            1913. "The Bhagavad Gita and the Epistles of St. Paul"

            Regards, Jud