Re: [anthroposophy] Fire of Righteousness

  • Mark Willan
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 22, 2005
      Dear Joel

      Long time no speak.

      But well said!

      I am getting sick of spammers even if they pretend not to be.

      I am with you all the way.

      Mark Willan

      3 place des Cines
      06560 Valbonne Sophia Antipolis
      France

      Tel: +334 9296 0919
      Mob: +336 7320 4006
      Fax: +334 9296 9004

      mwillan@...

    • earlyfire@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 22, 2005
        Dear Joel,

        One cannot merely define Anthroposophy, one must Author it. Anthroposophy is not a noun, it's a verb, a doing hallowed by thinking.
        Ergo get to be be King Arthur, one does not acquire a Ph.D. writing and defending a lofty dissertation/instruction manual on how to extract Excalibur from a stone. Each of us is an embryonic, sub-angelic would-be mirror of Anthroposophia's Presence, Her Influence. So it is that one rather acquires bravery in the face of risk, and presents his thoughts as quickening to the complacence of the status quo, and thus enters the Progressive Stream, the Michaelic Theater. That' it seems to me the first evidence that one is coming to spiritual responsibility, entering the river called "Not by bread alone" Anyone who inspires the dissolving of laziness, of prejudice, of the attitude of "Been there, Done That", practices and perfects Anthroposophy.

        Defining presupposes it's a done deal, an inventory, an arsenal of well-husked expertise. Anthroposophy is the way in which Anthroposophia, Who indwells Processes of Intuition, (upper case!), frames Her presence in the speech and the dreams and deeds of men. Anthroposophy therefore is the aspiration to a state of 24/7 connectivity to penetrating in spheres of wisdom, inspiration and courage, reaches the threshold of the Living Macrocosm, and discerning the intent of the hierarchies in relationship to the evolution of mankind, then bringing down those healing and inspiring thoughts, gloving them in bestowed deeds upon the world and within hearts....

        The age of the Theoretical Christ, like the Libraries of Dinosaurs archived in the Tarpits, is long past, but men know it not, men desire this not to be so............

        Who knows this appreciates the terror and trembling of being a fugitive from spiritual initiatives, and lives in an unbroken circle, dreaming of turning it into a spiral, and particpating in lift. To be pregressive is to learn to come "Full Spiral". Look at your deeds in the closing act of each day, and place this imagination at the center of every Ruckschau; then add the Irish waking prayer "What is this day lucky for" to the lifting of your eyelashes at the first gleam of dawn..............

        Enough flame for now.............

        Warm regards,
        Harvey

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 22, 2005
          A little less flame, and a little more downright honesty please...

          On Feb 23, 2005, at 12:08 AM, earlyfire@... wrote:

          > Dear Joel,
          >
          > One cannot merely define Anthroposophy, one must Author it.
          > Anthroposophy is not a noun, it's a verb, a doing hallowed by
          > thinking.
          > Ergo get to be be King Arthur, one does not acquire a Ph.D. writing
          > and defending a lofty dissertation/instruction manual on how to
          > extract Excalibur from a stone. Each of us is an embryonic,
          > sub-angelic would-be mirror of Anthroposophia's Presence, Her
          > Influence. So it is that one rather acquires bravery in the face of
          > risk, and presents his thoughts as quickening to the complacence of
          > the status quo, and thus enters the Progressive Stream, the Michaelic
          > Theater. That' it seems to me the first evidence that one is coming to
          > spiritual responsibility, entering the river called "Not by bread
          > alone" Anyone who inspires the dissolving of laziness, of prejudice,
          > of the attitude of "Been there, Done That", practices and perfects
          > Anthroposophy.
          >
          > Defining presupposes it's a done deal, an inventory, an arsenal of
          > well-husked expertise. Anthroposophy is the way in which
          > Anthroposophia, Who indwells Processes of Intuition, (upper case!),
          > frames Her presence in the speech and the dreams and deeds of men.
          > Anthroposophy therefore is the aspiration to a state of 24/7
          > connectivity to penetrating in spheres of wisdom, inspiration and
          > courage, reaches the threshold of the Living Macrocosm, and discerning
          > the intent of the hierarchies in relationship to the evolution of
          > mankind, then bringing down those healing and inspiring thoughts,
          > gloving them in bestowed deeds upon the world and within hearts....
          >
          > The age of the Theoretical Christ, like the Libraries of Dinosaurs
          > archived in the Tarpits, is long past, but men know it not, men desire
          > this not to be so............
          >
          > Who knows this appreciates the terror and trembling of being a
          > fugitive from spiritual initiatives, and lives in an unbroken circle,
          > dreaming of turning it into a spiral, and particpating in lift. To be
          > pregressive is to learn to come "Full Spiral". Look at your deeds in
          > the closing act of each day, and place this imagination at the center
          > of every Ruckschau; then add the Irish waking prayer "What is this day
          > lucky for" to the lifting of your eyelashes at the first gleam of
          > dawn..............
          >
          > Enough flame for now.............
          >
          > Warm regards,
          > Harvey

        • Jan
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 23, 2005
            >> Who knows this appreciates the terror and trembling of being a
            >> fugitive from spiritual initiatives, and lives in an unbroken circle,
            >> dreaming of turning it into a spiral, and particpating in lift. To be
            >> pregressive is to learn to come "Full Spiral". Look at your deeds in
            >> the closing act of each day, and place this imagination at the center
            >> of every Ruckschau; then add the Irish waking prayer "What is this day
            >> lucky for" to the lifting of your eyelashes at the first gleam of
            >> dawn..............
            >>
            >> Enough flame for now.............
            >>
            >> Warm regards,
            >> Harvey

            Enough from Harvey? Never! Here is Flame Alchemically Earlyfired, most
            gently potentised into healing draught of Aqua Vita.
            I warm my hands and go forth wondering what this Day is lucky for?

            Love, Jan
          • Joel Wendt
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 23, 2005
              Dear Harvey,

              yes, but....

              Nice definition by the way.:-)

              love,
              joel

              p.s. I am going your way middle of March, and will warn you in advance.

              --
              Joel Wendt <hermit@...>
            • earlyfire@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 23, 2005
                Dear Mark,
                Thank you for reminding that flame is potentially advarsarial to the anchor of honesty. Flame, in literary and poetic domain and nuance is not merely perceptual, but rather allegorical, and in Earlyfire's desire to invoke the overtones of this experience, to enter a realm of imaginative consciousness, brings to mind the astral qualities of eagerness, zeal, flair. Steiner himself compares the colorful peacock feathers to this realm in his description of the station of the second degree of initiation; and though imagination only reluctantly consents to allow itself to be compressed into description, it is worth noting that any aspiration to higher consciousness "looks forward to incandescence, to catharsis, to the burning away of veils, veils of vehemance, dogma, interest in formularistic compacting, and in overcrystallizing of knowledge from the river of experience.

                Here again, Steiner, in his description of the ascent to Inspired Cognition which will enter onstage and preoccupy humanity throughout the yet-unborn-and-predestined theater of future Jupiter, forgetting, 'unholding-fast', dispossession of opinions and structures and scaffoldings of knowledge is essential, is a sine-qua-non to entering, or rather, to being invited and welcomed gracelike into the flow and swirl and rush of Macrocosmic thought which is the source of blessings and bestowals for the healing of the world, and is brought down by initiates consciously and artists often both intentionally, whether consciously or unconsciously.

                Finally, by way of bridge-building which links the esoteric bonds 'twixt all mystery schools, an endeavor every student in Michael's School will cherish, we touch down into the ancient Kabal, particularly in the upgraded more modern consciousness-soul adaptation of Kabal which in Poland appear in the 17th century Baal-Shem-Tov's Hasidic teaching. (See Buber's "Tales of the Hasidism" to fill in your history). And so we hear of the word "Hitlahavut", literally, "the burning", which refers to the searing away of veils of ignorance and obsession with dross of desire (Steiner's term "Achamod" which pollutes purity of intention in the astral, and the essential siren-like seduction of Lucifer in Paradise). Earlier on it appears as the imagination in the Druid's Cauldron (Ceridwen). is referred to as "Hitlahavut". It was not for academic prowess that RS describes the element of warmth as having both physical and spiritual interface within the domain of human access and experience.

                And thus our brief preface is ended. Your well taken point, is that fire, if manifested selfishly and bereft of anchor, that is to say, of grounding, responsible love, potentially can sabotage the development of the stability, the abiding moral steadfastness of the would-be initiate, to perform the Christ-Act, to retraverse the descent of the Word becoming Flesh within the individuals authored deeds. Listen to the Credo movement of Mozart's Grand Mass in C-Minor, to phenomenologically acquire first-hand experience of this descent, and hear it musically translated, and so be privy to what this anchoring looks, "steadfasting" act presences itself, not as knowledge, as in the husk of words, but rather as Living Process, as movement, i.e., as Inspired Cognition.

                Another welcome warning now comes to mind: Steiner remarks that after death, one must carry the stabilizing Christ Impulse out into the starry worlds, to accompany Luciferic expansiveness, and that, we add, in the dialogue between illumination and modesty, in the far reaches of light and the silent holy still-water-runs-deep depths of the Christ, we experience the inbreathing and outbreathing of our celestial growth.............

                In this respect, your polarization of flame and downright honesty, if not harmonized, participates in the ever-present challenge of balancing, of coordinating Christ and Lucifer influence, both down in the Mortal Here and beyond Cosmic Everywhere. But here, another startling realization crops into awareness: Remember also that Steiner mentions that the primary characteristic of the initiate (which we have intuitive grounds to suspect connotes fourth degree and above), is that he/she is able to participate in activities, in, - what shall we source to "describe" the first-hand experience - to participate and dialogue and to "Celestially Metabolize", the Macrocosm without numbed will, the released will which matures when, no longer drawn into a drunken stupor of desire, and desire's coagulated agenda most Ahrimanic (recall" Ahriman being the karma of Lucifer"), is free to touch and embrace the Holy, without the least trace of impulse to possess.

                For before the labors of Jupiter can "hatch" in our awareness as a tangivle field of activity and intention and aspiration, possession will have to cease being 9/10th of the law. This tyrannical gravitylike vortex to amass and influence, to turf, so characteristic to the operation of the animal kingdom's intractable instinct, will have been divested of authority and dominion as an operative in human affairs.

                For those who wish to carry this thought one step further, this deed, this liberation, esoterically corresponds with the reacquisition of men to photosynthesize food from light, and the freeing up of the plant kingdom from the slavery of this responsibility now necessary...........

                Expanding this perspective, one reads in the Seven Valleys, "Knowledge is the last plane of limitation", and in Morya's teaching "Just as the leaves are the messengers of the wind, and the snow the ambassador of the cold, so also the word is the husk from the breath of a creative thought." So it begins to dawn upon us, one must eventually become downright honest and inquire what lies beyond these planes, what Living Invitation indwells, and points to and leads us via Honest FirstHand Experience beyond the corral of words and ideas?

                Thus, though it seems perhaps altogether redundant to retrace the obvious, one must remind oneself that it is all-too-widely and tragically observed that many Anthroposophists are beholden only to the devoted embrace of second-hand knowledge, and crave, most magnetically vortexlike crave acquiring "Steiner-hand-Me-Downs" of eruditely mimic'd, of what we unmockingly refer to as imitative or "Chimp'd" Templates. As though Anthroposophy were a commodity, an acquireable asset. These are, alas those who have not yet risen to the adventure of considering what will happen by employing Steiner's magnificent and lucid and comprehensive esoteric scaffoldings in aspirations which lead to confident maturation of Imaginative, Inspired and Intuitive powers and responsibilities.

                And so the ability to distinguish the presence of Anthroposophia (self-knowledging) from its fruits which are scaffoldings of Anthroposophy, is essential to any discussion of self-knowledge. Put another way, or so to us it seems that Anthroposophia indwells heart-space, mentoring, tutoring, inspiring consciousness which we identify as the very intent and essence of what has become known as Goethean conversation. And it is a most holy, most intimate dialogue, through which one is enabled to author first-hand out of the consciousness soul. "Conversation" Goethe mentions in connection with two interesting statements which precede it ("What's more valuable than Gold? Light. Whats more valuable than Light;more valuable than gold, and responds: "Conversation", to which we whisper, conversation is the act of uncovering, unravelling, revealing, => "bringing to light", the same we recognize as the exercise of responsible artistic license, or "Authority" (Arthur=Author).

                As to Joel's notion that
                Anthroposophy is
                "Precisely not like or inclusive of all other spiritual ways,
                but rather something very specific and distinct.", we suggest that Michaelic Activity
                of which AP is but one echo, invites, even demands that connections between esoteric
                language and conceptual architecture burst open the aristocratic ghetto of this exotic, stupendous vocabulary,
                and utilizing fresh imagination build creative connections beyond the autistic isolation of its terminology,
                and jouyously and courageously debut into the stream of the world's spiritual impulses at large.

                Failing such gemut, it is possible to remain esoterically autistic, which is to say, to be an Anthroposophist
                yet and not be worthy of the Michael School..........

                Warm Regards,
                Harvey Bornfield

> [...]

                > the intent of the hierarchies in relationship to the evolution of
                > mankind, then bringing down those healing and inspiring thoughts,
                > gloving them in bestowed deeds upon the world and within hearts....
                >
                > The age of the Theoretical Christ, like the Libraries of Dinosaurs
                > archived in the Tarpits, is long past, but men know it not, men desire
                > this not to be so............
                >
                > Who knows this appreciates the terror and trembling of being a
                > fugitive from spiritual initiatives, and lives in an unbroken circle,
                > dreaming of turning it into a spiral, and particpating in lift. To be
                > pregressive is to learn to come "Full Spiral". Look at your deeds in
                > the closing act of each day, and place this imagination at the center
                > of every Ruckschau; then add the Irish waking prayer "What is this day
                > lucky for" to the lifting of your eyelashes at the first gleam of

              • Joel Wendt
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 24, 2005
                  Dear Harvey,

                  It is hard not to love your flights of imagery. Doubly hard not to
                  concede the validity of the ideas...yet...something resists...or better
                  yet sees from a different place...

                  Some verse I wrote years ago that was published in the Carl Stegmann
                  sponsored journal: America in the Threefold World:

                  Dilemma

                  I have too much
                  If I am not careful, things will possess me.
                  They demand I carry them when I move.
                  They insist I resist another's possessing them.
                  If they are lost, so am I.
                  It makes not one difference,
                  if these things are objects or ideas.
                  They can all be stones.
                  So,
                  oppressed I seek my freedom
                  I will have nothing.
                  Thus I become.

                  For such reasons as the above, I try not to "know" anything, albeit,
                  the will over time acquires capacities, and my essence - my "verbness" -
                  can't help but do.

                  To do is also to choose, so a situation presents itself in life, and
                  doing must choose a course. There lies our freedom.

                  Doing is both inner and outer, I do as much in thinking as I do in
                  acting in life. The two interweave.

                  Social situations sometimes, but not always, demand response. Silence
                  is often the truest Good.

                  Yet, if speech or writing - if the gift of the word is called forth, to
                  what end it is directed is again choice.

                  Using the gift of the word, for whom do I craft its gifts, and what
                  then is my individual art with this gift? If I choose to serve the
                  other, the Thou, then thinking will itself suggest a course, for the
                  object is not so much the art of the use of the word, but rather the
                  service to be rendered.

                  So I listen a lot, for the world of the Thou's mind is not always
                  easily congruent with the world of my mind. Sometimes it seems we speak
                  entirely different languages although using the same words, for meaning
                  is what is intended by the speaker, and not found on the dead pages of a
                  dictionary.

                  Sentences and paragraphs are the music of ideas laid out on a flat
                  surface. They can have, in that form, the same inner beauty and
                  exactness (truth) of the most profound geometric expressions.

                  Listening while inwardly silent, with an intention to serve, brings
                  something into thinking not involved in my view, but rather inspired by
                  the other's view. I become doorway, not teacher. The needs of the Thou
                  reach through me to an elsewhere they may not even know exists, and
                  which I may not have yet met myself. The Thou teaches me how to speak
                  him.

                  Sometimes the elsewhere is terrible and full of fire, because the Thou
                  is lost from the truth, and the elsewhere seeks to burn away the dross,
                  for I not only serve the Thou but the elsewhere too. In such
                  situations, my I will have to endure dislike, perhaps even hate, for in
                  such a situation of purification by fire the resistance of the Thou is
                  high, and my I will be scourged and crowned with thorns in order to
                  serve.

                  Yet, I am not alone on this list, and we are together here in circle
                  conversation. What then is the sum of our sharing? Is the new out of
                  the elsewhere appearing here on this aethereal stage? If so, how do we
                  consciously bring it about? Many words have been offered...can we mold
                  them into a shared song? Or, should we just sing, and leave the
                  interweaving of our whole to the own elsewhere within?

                  Can speech obey the observations of the ten forms of change?

                  involutionally yours,
                  joel

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 24, 2005
                    earlyfire wrote:

[...]

                    Bradford comments;

                    I have never read or heard a more clear, winging redefinition,
                    reawakening of Spiritual Science for our times. This, this dear
                    friends should grace the cover of every work, and stand for the
                    front piece to all cyber entrances marked Anthro studies. Harvey, my
                    beloved this whole soul worked and interiorized definition has never
                    been wrought, updated or offered in such a dynamically clear cut
                    way...I hope you don't mind if I bandy this about as your finest,
                    finest living thoughts to date.

                    These things dare not be entombed. And they who would entomb them in
                    their stale thought box, their mass produced university dust bin of
                    how to think like a Jesuit, entomb the Christ and themselves as if
                    leaving the most important exploration of the world, sealed shut
                    against the rising of the new living dawn of humanity. Enter not
                    here!

                    The faculties of intuition, imagination, inspiration...seeds of
                    spirit self, life spirit and spirit man...lock this door,
                    genetically key code and lock the seed to the Christ, and everyone
                    return to their seats, for the dead thought and the dead word and
                    the dead intellect and the dead stars are where man must stay. The
                    seeds, the seeds of these higher seeds, locked, genetically locked
                    and sealed as if we were darkness born.

                    And the Iraqi's are now fined if they attempt to sell open seeds for
                    they must buy the grain and seeds that America has locked and the
                    world must buy the seeds that have been genetically locked against
                    the intrusion of Life and patents on the very fact of life and the
                    higher unfolding of the seeds of the I AM are also, in the same
                    awful paradigm forced shut against the sharing of life.

                    And we approach with staleness, dull habitual patterns, with shovels
                    instead of swords to bury the thoughts that Spiritual Science
                    offered humanity to grow us into gods... to navigate our souls
                    towards the light, like fish long locked in hidden caverns drives
                    the heart, to suddenly have light, light, hazy rippling light, it
                    hurts and stuns the eyes... and those entombed words and entombed
                    habits of thinking seem so abstract and safe compared to the living
                    sword of thinking, STING, that STeiner warned, we should learn how
                    to use our sting, be unafraid to use our sting...for Michael and our
                    blood fashion our thinking swords and we awaken on the other side of
                    winged intuition, living thought.

                    And they have rushed to lock out the living seeds of the Higher I AM
                    against silvery migrations of the giant school of human fish in the
                    age of pisces seeking the upper waters where rumor of light,
                    stinging, astonishing light has drawn them, up, up, up the stream of
                    time...to the astonishing lightness of being.

                    Harvey this was breathtaking. Thanks!
                  • Derek Hagen
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 25, 2005
                      What a delightful collection of abstract statements.

                      Gospel Moody

                      On 24-Feb-05, at 7:26 PM, holderlin66 wrote:

> [...]
                      > towards the light, like fish long locked in hidden caverns drives
                      > the heart, to suddenly have light, light, hazy rippling light, it
                      > hurts and stuns the eyes... and those entombed words and entombed
                      > habits of thinking seem so abstract and safe compared to the living
                      > sword of thinking, STING, that STeiner warned, we should learn how
                      > to use our sting, be unafraid to use our sting...for Michael and our
                      > blood fashion our thinking swords and we awaken on the other side of
                      > winged intuition, living thought.
                      >
                      > And they have rushed to lock out the living seeds of the Higher I AM
                      > against silvery migrations of the giant school of human fish in the
                      > age of pisces seeking the upper waters where rumor of light,
                      > stinging, astonishing light has drawn them, up, up, up the stream of
                      > time...to the astonishing lightness of being.

                      Derek Hagen
                      Mac Systems Manager
                      Acart Communications
                      dhagen@...
                    • Cheeseandsalsa@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 25, 2005
                        AOL Email
                        Harvey, I just would totally LOVE to meet you someday!  Come speak for the anthro society or the Novalis Institute in the Twin Cities area sometime!  Harvey, you may not remember sending out some heart warming writing to a troubled soul in the summer of '03 but I do. I have it still because it helped so much at the time.  Jan as well wrote some encouraging words.  Sometimes anthroposophy is a lot of words one doesn't understand to further isolate oneself in the world.  Until there comes a day where it starts coming together and you thank God the very day you found anthroposophy.  Sometimes when you are at the cross roads there is a very conscious choice to make.  Whether or not to go down the road less traveled where other anthroposophists have gone before.  There are several more by the way that I just love and admire on this list.  Please if you are ever in this bitter northern climate in Minnesota U.S.A. let me know!  ~Chantel  Where the earth appears to sleep the people are definitely NOT.

                        To be alone without the gods~that is death. ~Holderlin
                      • nuchamber
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 6, 2005
                          Dear Harvey,

                          Thanks for the "hornery" Honesty; I loved it....
                          Great post.

                          Regards, Jud