Re: R: [anthroposophy] Zeus, Pallas Athene, etc a question

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 15, 2005
      Thank you Andrea, this is very useful to me.
      I always wondered about the 'unknown god' in Greek times, since I
      read William Golding's 'the double tongue' about a greek oracle,
      where the priestess says, when the oracle falls silent, ' i feel a
      tenderness in the darkness....it is the unknown god'.

      Michael and Mithras I didn't connect, as I thought Mithras was a
      cult to CHrist as he descended towards earth from the sun. But I may
      be wrong. Anyway the countenance of Christ is Michael and, as
      Maurice said, Appollo was Christ invested in Michael.

      Its a very complicated subject, and I will check the books you
      mention, and will be working on these questions for a long time.
      Thanks again.

      Im trying to write a poetic drama on Julian but i feel horror when I
      try to write it, which maybe is a sign I shouldn't, or maybe because
      the tradegy was such a painful one for a seeker after the Christ, as
      Julian was.

      --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "VALENTINA BRUNETTI"
      <okcgbr@t...> wrote:

> [...]
      Mysteries ,
      > since his 1901' book on "Christianity as a Mistical Fact" (don't
      know if it
      > is the actual title in English, since I have the Italian
      translation from
      > the German, playing just this way).
      > As a sketch we can imagine that, based on the Mysteries, the
      overall
      > picture was as follows.
      > !) A "Triadic" set of Powers "of the Beginning": Ouranòs,Gea and
      Cronos
      > (Heaven,Earth,Time)..
      > 2) The Gods of "Above and Below", namely the Olympics, Zeus and C.
      > 3) The Work of the Gods, namely "Ananke", Lat, "Fatum" , aka "What
      the Gods
      > decided",, the Karmic Issues.
      > According to Steiner "The Olympics" are Angelic Spiritual Beings
      intervowen
      > with the Humankind in many different ways,
      > So in spite of their strong "lucipheric" gesture they
      are "progressive" in
      > the way that they are co-working in Mankind's evolution till the
      days of
      > Golgotha,
      >

      > > In Homer, they appear to the heroes, and influence the elements,
      the
      > > sea for example, as Poseidon the sea god does.
      > >
      > > But there was a lot of rivalry in Olympus, and other goings on.
      > >
      > > So,were they progressive, or had they backward tendencies?
      >

      > Both of them, as I have explained.
      >
      > > And what about Christ? Was He in the Greek mysteries? Under which
      > > name?
      >
      > The Christ- as Paul wrote- was known as "the Unknown God" of the
      Mysteries,
      > the One the inititate met at the edge of the "three-days-long"
      ceremony,
      > Here he was known also as the True Sun Spirit, of which the Sun
      gods
      > Helios and Phoebus were a kind of "masks".
      >
      > > And Saint Michael, I don't think he was part of the Greek
      Pantheon
      > > was he? Did he have another name then?
      >
      > We can see Michael bot as the Babylonian "Marduk" and the Iranic
      > "Mithra".. He was able to deeply influence both Aristotle and
      Alexander but
      > he was "unknown" as a Greekgod.
      > >
      > > And, also, I would really like to know what has become of a
      goddess
      > > like Artemis, today. Is she known by another name now by the
      > > initiates? Is she progressive still?
      >
      > Arthemis is very near to the Aegyptian "Isis", the Goddess.
      Today we can
      > talk of "Isis-Sophia" as historycally emnbodied in the Mother of
      Jesus.,
      > and linked to the "Holy Spirit" the Third Person of the Trinity,
      > You can usefully read the book "Isis Mary-Sophia" , Steiner's ref
      on Her
      > collected by C.Bamford.
      >

      > > I ask all this because I'm trying to write something about the
      Roman
      > > Emperor Julian, who has been mostly misrepresented, even though
      he
      > > was a great figure, like Alexander; and whose great campaign in
      the
      > > East was ended by assasination, which was tragic, considering his
      > > high aims.
      > >
      > > Julian was an actual seeker for the Logos, He did not succeed
      to believe
      > that the Logos was "The Man from Nazareth" mostly due to the
      fanatic
      > ignorance of the "Christian" priests that it occurred to him to
      meet.
      > I don't remember if Steiner told something about his further
      incarnations,
      > ("Tycho de Brahe" maybe in the Karmic relayionships" lectures ?)
      but I
      > believe His Entelechèià (his I AM;) to be in the right path
      to be
      somehow
      > near the Logos-Christ he was looking when he was Julian.
      > >
      > > Hope it was be useful
      > > Andrea

      > > Unsubscribe:
      > >
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Larry
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 16, 2005
        Andrea wrote:

> [...]

        This one, it doesn't look right to me. Isis is a much bigger god
        than Artemis, in fact I can't think of any Greek goddess who seems
        equal to Isis. Artemis, though, as the lunar huntress, (I think) is
        closely related to the Egyptian Bast, the cat god. And there's a
        story about Apollo with a lion, which Diana countered with a cat to
        tease him with, something like that. This clearly has a quality of
        guessing from fragments, though... Cats seem plenty progressive to
        me, but I don't know what a modern initiate would
        say.
        Larry
      • Cheeseandsalsa@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 20, 2005
          AOL Email
          In a message dated 2/16/2005 9:40:07 P.M. Central Standard Time, furrylogic@... writes:
          And, also, I would really like to know what has become of a
          goddess
          > > like Artemis, today. Is she known by another name now by the
          > > initiates? Is she progressive still?
          >
          > Arthemis is very near to the Aegyptian "Isis", the Goddess.   Today
          we can
          > talk of "Isis-Sophia" as historycally  emnbodied in the Mother of
          Jesus.,
          > and linked to the "Holy Spirit" the Third Person of the Trinity...

              This one, it doesn't look right to me. Isis is a much bigger god
          than Artemis, in fact I can't think of any Greek goddess who seems
          equal to Isis. Artemis, though, as the lunar huntress, (I think) is
          closely related to the Egyptian Bast, the cat god. And there's a
          story about Apollo with a lion, which Diana countered with a cat to
          tease him with, something like that. This clearly has a quality of
          guessing from fragments, though... Cats seem plenty progressive to
          me, but I don't know what a modern initiate would
          say.
               Larry

          The question remains about Artemis and I definitely agree that Isis is too large to be embodied in Artemis.  The "Isis and Madonna" lecture by S. might give some insights though there isn't anything about Artemis.  Only the Mothers.    The lion with Apollo though would have to be Isis I am thinking.   ~chantel

          To be alone without the gods~that is death. ~Holderlin
        • Hogie McM
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 20, 2005
            AOL Email
            Artemis has become The Sculpture of the Representative of Man/Humanity by Rudolf Steiner..
            Implied in the lecture series WORLD HISTORY IN THE LIGHT OF ANTHROPOSOPHY given during the Christmas Conference 1924

            Hogie