Re: American horrors--[anthroposophy]Cooking food the Nazis way...

  • John Massengale
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 12, 2000
      > The brutal beating and rape of African slaves is a horror, in my book.
      >
      > It will be a day of progress, in my view, when people in the U.S. at least,
      > look at the horrors right here at home.

      Of course we both look at and ignore the brutal horrors right here at home
      -- we're human. And Americans both beat slaves (as did the Africans they
      bought them from) and fought the bloodiest war in the history of the world
      to that time because of them. Half the participants in the war we're on the
      right side. The others were not.

      The Nazis were less two-sided and less human. They not only enslaved people,
      they set out to deliberately exterminate all traces of them from Europe.

      I don't believe this is an either / or situation, in which we use one to
      ignore the other. It was terrible to enslave Africans and bring them here in
      chains. It was terrible to persecute Jews and others in the Holocaust.

      If slaveowners had invented the microwave, Danny would have said that. There
      was very little discussion of the Nazis.
    • elaine upton
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 12, 2000
        Hello John,

        Yes, we are in agreement. I have no argument with your post. Both Nazis and
        those in the slave trade and those who sent the natives on the Trail of
        Tears committed horrors. I also have no criticism of Danny's posting of
        microwave problems and the microwave as a Nazi invention. My point was not
        to criticize your posts, but to note how often many of us look at Nazi
        horrors, and sometimes seem to ignore or forget those horrors right here.
        (My post was a reminder to myself, as well as to anyone else interested, so
        no criticism was meant...).

        Peace,
        elaine

        >From: "John Massengale" <john@...>
        >To: anthroposophy@egroups.com
        >Subject: Re: American horrors--[anthroposophy]Cooking food the Nazis way...
        >Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 12:58:45 -0400
        >
        > > The brutal beating and rape of African slaves is a horror, in my book.
        > >
        > > It will be a day of progress, in my view, when people in the U.S. at
        >least,
        > > look at the horrors right here at home.
        >
        >Of course we both look at and ignore the brutal horrors right here at home
        >-- we're human. And Americans both beat slaves (as did the Africans they
        >bought them from) and fought the bloodiest war in the history of the world
        >to that time because of them. Half the participants in the war we're on the
        >right side. The others were not.
        >
        >The Nazis were less two-sided and less human. They not only enslaved
        >people,
        >they set out to deliberately exterminate all traces of them from Europe.
        >
        >I don't believe this is an either / or situation, in which we use one to
        >ignore the other. It was terrible to enslave Africans and bring them here
        >in
        >chains. It was terrible to persecute Jews and others in the Holocaust.
        >
        >If slaveowners had invented the microwave, Danny would have said that.
        >There
        >was very little discussion of the Nazis.

      • Danny F.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 12, 2000
          --- elaine upton <elaineupton@...> wrote:
          > Hello John,
          >
          > Yes, we are in agreement. I have no argument with your post. Both
          > Nazis and
          > those in the slave trade and those who sent the natives on the Trail
          > of
          > Tears committed horrors. I also have no criticism of Danny's posting
          > of
          > microwave problems and the microwave as a Nazi invention. My point
          > was not
          > to criticize your posts, but to note how often many of us look at
          > Nazi
          > horrors, and sometimes seem to ignore or forget those horrors right
          > here.
          > (My post was a reminder to myself, as well as to anyone else
          > interested, so
          > no criticism was meant...).
          >
          > Peace,
          > elaine
          >

          > >From: "John Massengale" <john@...>
          > >To: anthroposophy@egroups.com
          > >Subject: Re: American horrors--[anthroposophy]Cooking food the Nazis
          > way...
          > >Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 12:58:45 -0400
          > >
          > > > The brutal beating and rape of African slaves is a horror, in my
          > book.
          > > >
          > > > It will be a day of progress, in my view, when people in the U.S.
          > at
          > >least,
          > > > look at the horrors right here at home.
          > >
          > >Of course we both look at and ignore the brutal horrors right here
          > at home
          > >-- we're human. And Americans both beat slaves (as did the Africans
          > they
          > >bought them from) and fought the bloodiest war in the history of
          > the world
          > >to that time because of them. Half the participants in the war we're
          > on the
          > >right side. The others were not.
          > >
          > >The Nazis were less two-sided and less human. They not only enslaved
          >
          > >people,
          > >they set out to deliberately exterminate all traces of them from
          > Europe.
          > >
          > >I don't believe this is an either / or situation, in which we use
          > one to
          > >ignore the other. It was terrible to enslave Africans and bring them
          > here
          > >in
          > >chains. It was terrible to persecute Jews and others in the
          > Holocaust.
          > >
          > >If slaveowners had invented the microwave, Danny would have said
          > that.
          > >There
          > >was very little discussion of the Nazis.

          "If slaveowners had invented the microwave, Danny would have said
          that."

          Yes, if we keep in mind the notion of "world" and "world-order" and
          it's sequel in time. Slaveownership however to my eyes did(do) belong
          more to a non-christian widespread mentality, in a lesser way to the
          notion of "world", this is more a "behavior", EVIL for sure.

          With the Nazis we did have a "world"(the Nazis movement) that wants to
          be THE world of(over) the earth. May it have succeeded in it's aim
          no doubt the actual world around us would have been quite different.
          There would have been all kinds of Nazis ways for everything; cooking
          food electronically for what I understood was belonging and arised
          from their "world", their inspirations and alliances from
          beyond the Treshold. Fortunatly we did not have the Nazis macro-wave
          all over the earth, but we still got a "micro-wave"...

          Regards,
          Danny

          =====
          "Anthroposophy does not want to impart knowledge.
          It seeks to awaken life."

          --Rudolf Steiner

          Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
          http://photos.yahoo.com
        • Johannus Faustus
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 12, 2000
            >Interesting how we (or "we") return over and over to the Nazis and their
            >horrors, as though these horrors mesmerize

            when i was in college, we did a project on comparisons to the nazis.
            anytime you want to demonize something... especially on campus, this was a
            strong tendancy among all exclusionary groups, like the campus homosexuals,
            or the racial minority groups, even the campus christians. (especially the
            reactionary types themselves, who were most similar to the nazis. they
            viewed the government as 'big brother', as in waco and ruby ridge.)
            there is a book out ow called 'the holocost industry' written by a rabbi
            from new york, and it is all about how people are making money as
            professional victims and 'holocost survivors'.
            i think the whole nazi thing is enigmatical because they were master of mind
            control on the level of mass psychology and what they did appeals to our own
            demonic selves and desires.

          • Danny F.
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 12, 2000
              --- Johannus Faustus <rrb@...> wrote:

              > >Interesting how we (or "we") return over and over to the Nazis and
              > their
              > >horrors, as though these horrors mesmerize
              >

              > when i was in college, we did a project on comparisons to the nazis.
              > anytime you want to demonize something... especially on campus, this
              > was a
              > strong tendancy among all exclusionary groups, like the campus
              > homosexuals,
              > or the racial minority groups, even the campus christians.
              > (especially the
              > reactionary types themselves, who were most similar to the nazis.
              > they
              > viewed the government as 'big brother', as in waco and ruby ridge.)
              > there is a book out ow called 'the holocost industry' written by a
              > rabbi
              > from new york, and it is all about how people are making money as
              > professional victims and 'holocost survivors'.
              > i think the whole nazi thing is enigmatical because they were master
              > of mind
              > control on the level of mass psychology and what they did appeals to
              > our own
              > demonic selves and desires.

              ..."what they did appeals to our own demonic selves and desires."

              It certainly does, for the notion of power is so inherent to it,
              but there's also the "fascination" side of it as Elaine was
              mentionning earlier, and I don't think it comes from the horrors
              "itself", but rather to the absolute out of ordinary, on such a
              sense of rupture and of the paramount, shortly to another "world".
              I think it does meet with the subconsious sense that there's another
              "world" or "worlds". I think it goes beyond the horrors, it goes to
              where it is originating: another "world".

              Regards,
              Danny

              =====
              "Anthroposophy does not want to impart knowledge.
              It seeks to awaken life."

              --Rudolf Steiner

              Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
              http://photos.yahoo.com
            • Joel A. Wendt
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 14, 2000
                Dear List,

                I have not been following this thread carefully, but as I glanced at the
                posts it seemed to me that there was really very little "anthroposophical"
                discusion of evil. The "horrors" mentioned seemed very typical knee-jerk
                antipathetically driven reactions to events which make us uncomfortable
                (genocide, etc.).

                I think the discussion could get deeper. Some questions:

                What is meant by the term "evil"?
                Can a group (a general class of human beings) be "evil"?
                Can any individual be "evil"?
                Is evil an immoral act?
                Must the doer know the act is immoral?
                Is a supersensible being evil (such as ahriman)?
                Does "evil" have a purpose in cosmic evolution?
                If I think an act is immoral, does that make it "evil"?
                If I think a person is immoral, does that make them "evil"?

                Does anyone on this list get my point?

                warm regards,
                joel