5 december: Saint Nicholas and his zwarte pieten

  • Anne
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2004

      Dear people,

      I have been lurking on your list, but I finally have something to share with you.

      In the Netherlands we always have Saint Nicholas day at December 5. This is also celebrated by the Dutch anthoposophists.

      It is celebrated among young children, who believe that "Sinterklaas" gives them presents together with his black helpers "Zwarte Pieten". Sinterklaas allready arrives in the Netherlands halfway November in his Stoomboot (boat) from Spain accompanied by his helpers.

      This morning my young boys of 4 years old found a lot of presents at the chimney and enthousiastic came to my bed telling me that Sinterklaas had come to give them presents (ofcourse I put all these presents in front of the chimney near their shoes) The evening before Sinterklaas childern put drawings, letters and carrots for the horse of Sinterklaas in their shoe and sing Sinterklaas songs. Sinterklaas give presents to the children who have been good. Bad children will be spanked by Zwarte Piet or put inside the bag taken back to Spain.

      Saint Nicholas used to be a bisshop who gave to the poor. The whole story can be read at:

      Greetings,

      Anne