Re: [anthroposophy] Dashwood's Hellfire Club and Animal Abuse

  • John TWB
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 23, 2004
      Hi Jan

      You have written a very moving statement,

      Yes..Yes..And more:  The Hellfire Club typified the reverse side of Masonry, the neo-Templar, in sharp diametric contrast to its obverse, Rosicrician Masonry.

      One clever friend of mine once observed that on the occult side of the history of the American Revolution, throughout the Templars and the Rosicrucians vied for determinative power.

      Let your intuitive vision tell you which opponent has been getting the upper hand these many years.

      Regards to you, John

      Jan <starbirdgarden@...> wrote:
      Re - Mind and Brain posts.

        What to say about the plight of animals?
      First, let me make it clear that I was not casting aspersions on the lady
      herself, or her personal life-struggle. Not having read the book I have no
      comments to make on the 'picture thinking' described or her life and work.
        Viewing her web page I was just terribly hurt and sad to reflect once
      again upon seemingly endless inhumanity and cruelty. I have long seen the
      ab-use of animals as early steps along the inverse - Ahrimanic - initiation
      that is the Shadow Crossing of the Threshold in unconsciousness.  What is
      unconscious in us, of course, is the habitat of highly conscious beings, who
      have an agenda and end game of their own.
        Also, as I have often said - but it bears repetition - I see the picture
      here of the future ab-use of humans in the present plight of the animals as
      well as de-humanizing of the people who are involved.
        This is depicted very clearly in the 'Four stages of cruelty' by Hogarth,
      see below.

      http://www.haleysteele.com/hogarth/plates/four_stages.html

      Hogarth himself says
      Quote - "The Four Stages of Cruelty were done in hopes of preventing in some
      degree that cruel treatment of poor Animals which makes the streets of
      London more disagreeable to the human mind, than any thing what ever, the
      very describing of which gives pain.... but it could not be done in too
      strong a manner as the most stony hearts were meant to be affected by
      them... " end quote

        It is the human being who ends as cold corpse on the dissecting table.....

        These days the cruelty is not committed so openly on the street, but
      behind high walls with very sophisticated security systems, in such secrecy
      that most people are unaware of the extent of it. In Cambridge, where Bacon,
      early advocate of vivisection went to study, are 'Life (!) Sciences'
      departments, where experiments are carried out on primates and other
      animals. Similar faculties are being built at great expense, and the cost is
      not only financial but human.
        The herding, estranging of animals from their natural environment and
      relationship with other species, vaccinating and medicating them, placing
      them in restraining, confining single animal width runways - as pictured on
      the web site - stunning with electric-stun guns into insensibility, and then
      slaughtering them, I see, for instance, a picture of our education system as
      it is increasingly practiced in some state schools where children are herded
      into a collective group soul identity, inoculated with false world
      conceptions, made to travel in restrictive straight jacket thought
      paradigms, stunned with information overload; with the ultimate intention of
      slaughtering what is intrinsically human in them.
        This is not to say that this will succeed.  Only that it is the intention
      of certain beings, imaged in ill treatment of animals among other symptoms
      around us, and to bring about another, healthy outcome we need to look at
      what is going on. The irony is that if we refused this inhumanity towards
      animals, it could not so easily be practiced upon ourselves!
        The gesture of the Rosicrucian is reverence, love and service to the realm
      which has fallen that we ourselves may rise, and upon whose back we have
      climbed to human status. Can we be compassionate humans while abusive to
      animals?  Here is the ideal.

        Rudolf Steiner 'Francis of Assisi made no attempt to set aside the
      experiences of the heart; on the contrary, he retained them in complete
      perfection. That is what is so grand and majestic about Francis of Assisi;
      he enlarged his heart to embrace his entire soul, his entire being.'
      End quote. Rudolf Steiner June 6 1912 Oslo.

        The moral virtue-soul-force that could heal leprosy can also raise what is
      bestial.  The animals have so much to tell us. They are ensouled beings.
        Animals in the wild remain wild.  They live in their own species, eat and
      are eaten, breed and die.  Animals brought into relationship with what is
      truly human behave quite differently. I can think of a sanctuary here in
      England, where many horses and donkeys live in small herds which the animals
      form for themselves, where their evident friendships are respected and
      accommodated, faithful friendships which last for their lifetimes.
        Cross species friendships also form.  I know of a donkey and a goat who
      are inseparable. This is not just a case of mother substitute, but a coming
      together of animal adults in companionable, warm relationship.
        This is a beautiful thing to see.  It can only occur where humans come
      into the lives of animals in a loving way.
        In dark magic/occultism, animal abuse is brought into relationship with
      human sado-masochistic and aberrant sexual practices, such as bestiality.
      The Famous Hellfire Club, founded by Sir Francis Dashwood, known as the
      'Order of the Knights of St Francis' or 'The Monks of Medmenham' parodied
      the purification of the astral body striven for by the true Franciscan
      Knights of Compassion, wearing Franciscan habits they performed horrible
      black magical rites where animals were involved in foul ways. Again there
      was an inner circle of twelve.

      http://pluto.scs.ryerson.ca/~monica/Monks.htm

      In this picture of Francis Dashwood, also by Hogarth, the face in the halo,
      said to be Lord Sandwich, looks remarkably like Ahriman to me.....
      The common practice by black magicians of reversing something holy, not
      only seeks to draw strength from the power of the good and turn it to the
      service of evil, (since evil is always too weak itself to stand alone) the
      reversal has always has an element of hate in it. A breath of Soratic rage.
      It is usual to downplay the Hellfire Club as merely a few young noblemen
      indulging in a bit of rather silly ribaldry dressed as monks and nuns and
      spicing it up with a bit of black magic.  But it went beyond that, as its
      membership indicates.  What consciously opposes the good has a deliberate
      aim in view inimical to the true spiritual destiny of humanity.
        In the course of human evolution empathy must be developed.  Not a
      sentimental feel good self indulgence, but true sympathy, which is the
      doctrine of correspondences made human, the feeling, experiencing of
      another's pain. I read an article once about a woman who must have developed
      this empathy prematurely, as she had to flee into a remote place where she
      rarely met people or even many animals.  Every cruel word, or inhumane act
      was felt by her physically as well as emotionally, as terrible pain, until
      she could no longer endure the society of ordinary life as we know it today,
      and lived alone as a hermit.  Many today feel the pangs of the beginning of
      this state.  They suffer much, and we see them fighting the fight for the
      weak all around the world, doing aid work for the downtrodden, protecting
      the habitat of animals, trying to heal the ravaged earth, helped most surely
      by angels and elementals, bearing their pain aloft.
        Once again I turn to Longfellow.  These two verses from his poem 'Saint
      Francis to the Birds' seem to me to demonstrate the appropriate relationship
      of human being to animal.

        'O Brother birds' St Francis said,
        'Ye come to me and ask for bread.
         But not by bread alone to-day
         Shall ye be fed and sent away.

         Ye shall be fed, ye happy birds,
         With manna of celestial words;
         Not mine, though mine they seem to be,
         Not mine, though they be spoke through me.'

        We can bring to the animals what they cannot come to of themselves.
      Again, I do not by any means restrict the great mission of St Francis to the
      animal kingdom alone.  We have explored his Being, spiritual past and future
      and his works, in some depth on this list. But since the Hellfire Club still
      has its adherents and its imitators, defiling the Knighthood of Compassion,
      it must surely be a compensating, healing gesture to stand as true
      Rosicrucians and bless and heal the animal kingdom as it groaneth and
      trevaileth when forced down below its true estate and is treated as mineral
      and plant, as product and even object. Let them instead be helpmeet, friend
      and brother along the path of earthly evolving.
      Jan

    • golden3000997@cs.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 23, 2004
        Dearest Jan My StarBird and Everyone,

        I hate to have to add to the gloom but the subject is very gloomy.

        Just a week or two ago, I was talking with my sister near Houston, TX. I happened to ask her how her cat, Chloe was doing. I was shocked when she told me that Chloe was murdered several months ago. My nephew found her dead, slit up the stomach with her front paws "crossed" on their doorstep.

        My sister doesn't really have a very deep emotionally tie to her pets. (She still has two dogs). She didn't think enough about it to let me know before, even though she saw me go out of my way to cuddle Chloe when I visited her before. She kept Chloe outside (allowed in the garage, but still). She couldn't deal with having her in the house.

        I cannot judge my sister. Her life and mine are polar opposites and always have been so. It's a miracle that we have any communication at all. But I have to hug all of my furbabies every day and just tell myself that I can't do anything for so many out there, but I can love the ones I have.

        It's scary, too, in another way. I have acquired my eleven cats over the course of living in my apartment for seven years. I am facing a possible move and I know that I will really need some angelic help to find a place that I will be able to move to. There is enormous animosity toward people with many pets. My neighbor Betty, who has lived in the apartment next to me for over 30 years has always had many cats, but in the past year, we have been subjected to a great deal of harassment, subtle and overt from our other neighbors. We both feel very stressed and threatened about it. I get so upset even imagining someone trying to take away my loved ones or what kind of situation I would be in if evicted. And it's not as if they are really bothering anyone. They stay inside completely. But everyone has this "crazy cat lady" perception born of media images of old people living in filth and squalor and they really hate the fact that I have more than one or two cats.

        I can't bear to open the images that you sent. Things like that go through me like a knife. But I understand what you are sharing. Unfortunately, it is another subject on which society is divided into black and white. People either love animals or hate them, in my experience. I just wish I could find a community to live in that is filled with the former. It is interesting, too, that as I have searched and searched all over the internet to find an intentional community to join, they all prohibit the bringing in of pets. Whoa! Not even among people who supposedly have a "raised" conciousness is there a real sense of compassion. The "love" they have always seems so superficial and abstract. There is always so much limitation.

        Well, as I said, sorry to be so gloomy, but sometimes it is hard to live in this world if you love anyone at all, even animals.

        Christine

        Jan <starbirdgarden@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        >   Ye shall be fed, ye happy birds,
        >   With manna of celestial words;
        >   Not mine, though mine they seem to be,
        >   Not mine, though they be spoke through me.'
        >
        >  We can bring to the animals what they cannot come to of themselves.
        >Again, I do not by any means restrict the great mission of St Francis to the
        >animal kingdom alone.  We have explored his Being, spiritual past and future
        >and his works, in some depth on this list. But since the Hellfire Club still
        >has its adherents and its imitators, defiling the Knighthood of Compassion,
        >it must surely be a compensating, healing gesture to stand as true
        >Rosicrucians and bless and heal the animal kingdom as it groaneth and
        >trevaileth when forced down below its true estate and is treated as mineral
        >and plant, as product and even object. Let them instead be helpmeet, friend
        >and brother along the path of earthly evolving.

      • Jan
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 24, 2004
          Re: [anthroposophy] Dashwood's Hellfire Club and Animal Abuse Hello John,
            What you say is very interesting and I would love to read any more thoughts you have on the subject.  America was to be the New Utopia as envisioned by yet another Francis – Francis Bacon......
          Jan

          William T Still -
          “British exploration in America began in 1585 when Sir Walter Raleigh, an adventuring British nobleman, mounted an expedition to colonize Roanoke Island, off the coast of North Carolina. The twenty-four year-old Raleigh was already a member of a secret society which would later become known as the Baconian circle. This circle, of course, believed that America was to be the glittering 'New Atlantis' promised for centuries by secret societies."

          Jan <starbirdgarden@...> wrote:
[...]

          ALL-NEW Yahoo! Messenger <http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=21626/*http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com> - all new features - even more fun!

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129r5r1bs/M=296572.5585671.6651487.3001176/D=groups/S=1705077360:HM/EXP=1101313452/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12i52hgg0/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1101227052321607>  Get unlimited calls to U.S./Canada  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129r5r1bs/M=296572.5585671.6651487.3001176/D=groups/S=1705077360:HM/EXP=1101313452/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12i52hgg0/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1101227052321607>

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jan
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 25, 2004
            Thinking of you today my dear Golden Friend,
            May the Blessings of the Holy Nights shine upon your path through the coming
            year, and upon the dear cats, whom Christ also loves.
            JanXXXXXXXXXXX

            Whence comes this rush of wings afar,
            Following straight the Noel star?
            Birds from the woods in wondrous flight,
            Bethlehem seek this Holy Night.

            "Tell us, ye birds, why come ye here,
            Into this stable, poor and drear?"
            "Hast'ning we seek the newborn King,
            And all our sweetest music bring."

            Hark how the Greenfinch bears his part,
            Philomel, too, with tender heart,
            Chants from her leafy dark retreat,
            Re, mi, fa, sol, in accents sweet.

            Angels and shepherds, birds o' the sky,
            Come where the Son of God doth lie;
            Christ on earth with man doth dwell,
            join in the shout "Noel, Noel."

            French Carol
          • Maurice McCarthy
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 25, 2004
              Merry Christmas from the North Sea to one and all
              Maurice