Re: [anthroposophy] To Wonder at Beauty

  • Jan
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 17, 2004
      To wonder at beauty
      Stand guard over truth
      Look up to the noble
      Resolve on the good.
      This leadeth man truly
      To purpose in living
      To right in his doing
      To light in his thinking
      And teach him trust in the working of God-
      In all that there is;
      In the width of the world
      In the depth of the soul

      Is this it?
      Jan

      > Dear All,
      >
      > I was wondering if anyone knows the full text for a beautiful Morning
      > Verse that we used to say at school. It started out "To wonder at
      > beauty, stand guard over Truth, Look up to the Noble, Resolve on the
      > Good . . ." After that, I can't remember it - shows how much I was
      > paying attention every morning now doesn't it?! I would very much now
      > like to teach it to my daughter, that's all, since it is full of
      > excellent ideas for a growing mind!
      >
      > I really do hope someone can help.
      >
      > Thank You. Greetings to you all.
      >
      > Marcus Tristan Heathcock (composer)

      > Unsubscribe:
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Marcus Tristan Heathcock
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 17, 2004
        Dear Jan,

        Thank you very much - that's the one! I think I might actually write
        a musical setting of it as well, while I'm at it. It's rather
        beautiful, isn't it, as well as a very stirring way to start the
        morning! Do you know where it's from, by the way - is it from Verses
        and Meditations, by any chance, a copy of which I don't have with me
        here in Russia unfortunately?

        All the very best,

        Marcus

        --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Jan <starbirdgarden@b...> wrote:

        > To wonder at beauty
        > Stand guard over truth
        > Look up to the noble
        > Resolve on the good.
        > This leadeth man truly
        > To purpose in living
        > To right in his doing
        > To light in his thinking
        > And teach him trust in the working of God-
        > In all that there is;
        > In the width of the world
        > In the depth of the soul
        >
        > Is this it?
        > Jan
        >

        > > Dear All,
        > >
        > > I was wondering if anyone knows the full text for a beautiful
        Morning
        > > Verse that we used to say at school. It started out "To wonder at
        > > beauty, stand guard over Truth, Look up to the Noble, Resolve on
        the
        > > Good . . ." After that, I can't remember it - shows how much I was
        > > paying attention every morning now doesn't it?! I would very much
        now
        > > like to teach it to my daughter, that's all, since it is full of
        > > excellent ideas for a growing mind!
        > >
        > > I really do hope someone can help.
        > >
        > > Thank You. Greetings to you all.
        > >
        > > Marcus Tristan Heathcock (composer)

        > > Unsubscribe:
        > >
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jan
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 17, 2004
          Hello Marcus,
          Below is a version from 'Truth Wrought Words' translated by Arvia Mackay
          Ege, published by the Anthroposophic Press which I have just checked in my
          bookcase. I could not find it in 'Verses and Meditations'. The other was
          a quick 'Google' search as I couldn't recall the whole from memory and had
          not time just then to look through my books.
          Yes, it is very beautiful and full of strength and power. 'Decide for the
          good'...... It will be a wonderful verse for your daughter and deserves to
          be set to music.
          Jan

          To wonder at beauty,
          Stand guard over truth,
          Look up to the noble,
          Decide for the good:
          Leads man on his journey
          To goals for his life,
          To right in his doing,
          To peace in his feeling,
          To light in his thought,
          And teaches him trust
          In the guidance of God
          In all that there is:
          In the world-wide All,
          In the soul's deep soil.

          > Dear Jan,
          >
          > Thank you very much - that's the one! I think I might actually write
          > a musical setting of it as well, while I'm at it. It's rather
          > beautiful, isn't it, as well as a very stirring way to start the
          > morning! Do you know where it's from, by the way - is it from Verses
          > and Meditations, by any chance, a copy of which I don't have with me
          > here in Russia unfortunately?
          >
          > All the very best,
          >
          > Marcus
          >
          > --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Jan <starbirdgarden@b...> wrote:
          >>
          >> To wonder at beauty
          >> Stand guard over truth
          >> Look up to the noble
          >> Resolve on the good.
          >> This leadeth man truly
          >> To purpose in living
          >> To right in his doing
          >> To light in his thinking
          >> And teach him trust in the working of God-
          >> In all that there is;
          >> In the width of the world
          >> In the depth of the soul
          >>
          >> Is this it?
          >> Jan
          >>

          >>> Dear All,
          >>>
          >>> I was wondering if anyone knows the full text for a beautiful
          > Morning
          >>> Verse that we used to say at school. It started out "To wonder at
          >>> beauty, stand guard over Truth, Look up to the Noble, Resolve on
          > the
          >>> Good . . ." After that, I can't remember it - shows how much I was
          >>> paying attention every morning now doesn't it?! I would very much
          > now
          >>> like to teach it to my daughter, that's all, since it is full of
          >>> excellent ideas for a growing mind!
          >>>
          >>> I really do hope someone can help.
          >>>
          >>> Thank You. Greetings to you all.
          >>>
          >>> Marcus Tristan Heathcock (composer)

          >>> Unsubscribe:
          >>>
          >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Unsubscribe:
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Marcus Tristan Heathcock
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 17, 2004
            Dear Jan,

            Thank you for another version of this beautiful verse. My friend in
            the UK has now supplied me with yet a third version, which is similar
            to the first one you supplied:

            To Wonder at Beauty,
            Stand guard over Truth,
            Look up to the Noble,