To Wonder at Beauty

  • Sunny Marcus
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 15, 2004
      Dear All,

      I was wondering if anyone knows the full text for a beautiful Morning
      Verse that we used to say at school. It started out "To wonder at
      beauty, stand guard over Truth, Look up to the Noble, Resolve on the
      Good . . ." After that, I can't remember it - shows how much I was
      paying attention every morning now doesn't it?! I would very much now
      like to teach it to my daughter, that's all, since it is full of
      excellent ideas for a growing mind!

      I really do hope someone can help.

      Thank You. Greetings to you all.

      Marcus Tristan Heathcock (composer)
    • Jan
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 17, 2004
        To wonder at beauty
        Stand guard over truth
        Look up to the noble
        Resolve on the good.
        This leadeth man truly
        To purpose in living
        To right in his doing
        To light in his thinking
        And teach him trust in the working of God-
        In all that there is;
        In the width of the world
        In the depth of the soul

        Is this it?
        Jan

        > Dear All,
        >
        > I was wondering if anyone knows the full text for a beautiful Morning
        > Verse that we used to say at school. It started out "To wonder at
        > beauty, stand guard over Truth, Look up to the Noble, Resolve on the
        > Good . . ." After that, I can't remember it - shows how much I was
        > paying attention every morning now doesn't it?! I would very much now
        > like to teach it to my daughter, that's all, since it is full of
        > excellent ideas for a growing mind!
        >
        > I really do hope someone can help.
        >
        > Thank You. Greetings to you all.
        >
        > Marcus Tristan Heathcock (composer)

        > Unsubscribe:
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Marcus Tristan Heathcock
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 17, 2004
          Dear Jan,

          Thank you very much - that's the one! I think I might actually write
          a musical setting of it as well, while I'm at it. It's rather
          beautiful, isn't it, as well as a very stirring way to start the
          morning! Do you know where it's from, by the way - is it from Verses
          and Meditations, by any chance, a copy of which I don't have with me
          here in Russia unfortunately?

          All the very best,

          Marcus

          --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Jan <starbirdgarden@b...> wrote:

          > To wonder at beauty
          > Stand guard over truth
          > Look up to the noble
          > Resolve on the good.
          > This leadeth man truly
          > To purpose in living
          > To right in his doing
          > To light in his thinking
          > And teach him trust in the working of God-
          > In all that there is;
          > In the width of the world
          > In the depth of the soul
          >
          > Is this it?
          > Jan
          >

          > > Dear All,
          > >
          > > I was wondering if anyone knows the full text for a beautiful
          Morning
          > > Verse that we used to say at school. It started out "To wonder at
          > > beauty, stand guard over Truth, Look up to the Noble, Resolve on
          the
          > > Good . . ." After that, I can't remember it - shows how much I was
          > > paying attention every morning now doesn't it?! I would very much
          now
          > > like to teach it to my daughter, that's all, since it is full of
          > > excellent ideas for a growing mind!
          > >
          > > I really do hope someone can help.
          > >
          > > Thank You. Greetings to you all.
          > >
          > > Marcus Tristan Heathcock (composer)

          > > Unsubscribe:
          > >
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jan
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 17, 2004
            Hello Marcus,
            Below is a version from 'Truth Wrought Words' translated by Arvia Mackay
            Ege, published by the Anthroposophic Press which I have just checked in my
            bookcase. I could not find it in 'Verses and Meditations'. The other was
            a quick 'Google' search as I couldn't recall the whole from memory and had
            not time just then to look through my books.
            Yes, it is very beautiful and full of strength and power. 'Decide for the
            good'...... It will be a wonderful verse for your daughter and deserves to
            be set to music.
            Jan

            To wonder at beauty,
            Stand guard over truth,
            Look up to the noble,
            Decide for the good:
            Leads man on his journey
            To goals for his life,
            To right in his doing,
            To peace in his feeling,
            To light in his thought,
            And teaches him trust
            In the guidance of God
            In all that there is:
            In the world-wide All,
            In the soul's deep soil.

            > Dear Jan,
            >
            > Thank you very much - that's the one! I think I might actually write
            > a musical setting of it as well, while I'm at it. It's rather
            > beautiful, isn't it, as well as a very stirring way to start the
            > morning! Do you know where it's from, by the way - is it from Verses
            > and Meditations, by any chance, a copy of which I don't have with me
            > here in Russia unfortunately?
            >
            > All the very best,
            >
            > Marcus
            >
            > --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Jan <starbirdgarden@b...> wrote:
            >>
            >> To wonder at beauty
            >> Stand guard over truth
            >> Look up to the noble
            >> Resolve on the good.
            >> This leadeth man truly
            >> To purpose in living
            >> To right in his doing
            >> To light in his thinking
            >> And teach him trust in the working of God-
            >> In all that there is;
            >> In the width of the world
            >> In the depth of the soul
            >>
            >> Is this it?
            >> Jan
            >>

            >>> Dear All,
            >>>
            >>> I was wondering if anyone knows the full text for a beautiful
            > Morning
            >>> Verse that we used to say at school. It started out "To wonder at
            >>> beauty, stand guard over Truth, Look up to the Noble, Resolve on
            > the
            >>> Good . . ." After that, I can't remember it - shows how much I was
            >>> paying attention every morning now doesn't it?! I would very much
            > now
            >>> like to teach it to my daughter, that's all, since it is full of
            >>> excellent ideas for a growing mind!
            >>>
            >>> I really do hope someone can help.
            >>>
            >>> Thank You. Greetings to you all.
            >>>
            >>> Marcus Tristan Heathcock (composer)

            >>> Unsubscribe:
            >>>
            >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

            > Unsubscribe:
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Marcus Tristan Heathcock
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 17, 2004
              Dear Jan,

              Thank you for another version of this beautiful verse. My friend in
              the UK has now supplied me with yet a third version, which is similar
              to the first one you supplied:

              To Wonder at Beauty,
              Stand guard over Truth,
              Look up to the Noble,